Detroit Diesel

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will share this I read from a brochure.

Lubricating Oil Analysis - Warning Values

A fuel dilution exceeding 7.1% by volume indicates an immediate need for an oil change and corrective maintenance action. Fuel dilution can be confirmed by ASTM D3524 test procedure performed by oil suppliers or independent laboratories.

In addition to the above considerations, the oil drain interval for Detroit Engines has been exceeded if:

*The viscosity at 212F (100C) of a used oil sample exceeds 21.9 cst (15w-40).

*The iron content is greater than 200 parts per million.

*The carbon (soot) content by TGA exceeds 4.5% by weight (ASTM E1131).

*The total base number (TBN) is less than 33% of original (ASTM D4739).

DD platform

2012/2013 warranty information
Oh-highway engine

That is for sure.

Below may be correct.

EPA10 GHG14, DD13, DD15, DD16 most likely as that is whst the manual is referring to.

That is for a series 60 Detroit. My dad loved the two stroke ones and when the four stroke Series 60 came out, he bought one and they were so crazy about constant oil samples for every oil change. We had a lot of trouble with the 450. The first thing they would check when you took them in was the anti freeze for silicate/nitrate/ph or some thing, because it would eat through the liners if you didn't maintain the coolant perfectly. I think the whole oil sampling was crazy.

Yep. The 7% dilution level is for the DD 13,15,16 series engines, not the Series 60 which has dilution condemnation limit of 2.5% per the DD lube manual. I have the 2016 version of the lube manual on my computer.

Wasn't that the antifreeze would "eat" thru the liners, it was that without proper SCA levels to coat the liner, the cavitation of water molecules exploding on the liner would chip away at the liner over time. At least with the newer ELC coolants, we don't have to worry about proper SCA levels or adding it anymore. Simple check in the fall to make sure freeze protection level good, add a quart or two of extender at 300,000 miles, and flush and fill coolant at 500,000 to 600,000 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back