Klear Force Oil Filter Magnets

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder how this thing compares to Filtermag, it basically wraps around the oil filter, this Klear Force is mounted on the bottom.

Maybe both of these magnets on the oil filter would be good.

I got the 3 Klearforce magnets for Christmas for my 3 cars.

Let the testing begin......

Last edited:
Which magnet design makes more sense?

Disc Klearforce at the end of the filter:
xpt-kf2026.jpg

Or radial Filtermag going on the side of the filter:
384-ss300pr.jpg

The advantage of radial magnet is that more oil flows in its proximity. But accumulation of ferrous particles in the flow path will reduce flow.

The advantage of a disc magnet is that it fits out of the way of the flow path and ferrous particles attracted stay out of the way. But it will not be in the proximity of as many candidate ferrous particles as the arc magnet.

What is your take?

Last edited:
The one on the end is interesting but it wouldn't have an opportunity to catch aa much because the oil isn't down there as much.

I use a single filter mag and it always catches lots of junk. I wouldn't worry about flow with the filter mag it's not going to hurt it.

With my application I have to remove the filter mag before I can spin off the filter so I think it reduces the accumulation picture on the side of the can but even so you can still see the impression of a filter I recently ran.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3766530/Fram_Ultra_3980_cut_open_13k+_

You can find plenty of pictures of filter mag cut open filters on the Web.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
The one on the end is interesting but it wouldn't have an opportunity to catch aa much because the oil isn't down there as much.

I use a single filter mag and it always catches lots of junk. I wouldn't worry about flow with the filter mag it's not going to hurt it.

With my application I have to remove the filter mag before I can spin off the filter so I think it reduces the accumulation picture on the side of the can but even so you can still see the impression of a filter I recently ran.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3766530/Fram_Ultra_3980_cut_open_13k+_

You can find plenty of pictures of filter mag cut open filters on the Web.

This was also my hypothesis.
Would you say then, on a longer filter, that it's better to place the radial magnet closer to the opening than to the top?

I always place it right in the middle of the element, but I think your idea might be better, placing it closer to the inlet, although keep in mind distance to the engine and exhaust headers effect magnet performance so keeping the magnet temps down might be smarter

Cool fun inexpensive gift..

Engine builders I know prefer the radial magnets that the mounts on the side. It would take lots of material to actually impede flow.

Best placement is about an inch below the baseplate -not toward the top.

At the top end of the filter lots of oil has gone through the plates and doesn't get near the magnet.

A big strong magnet at the top wont hurt either and can only help- not quite as effective or expensive its a good diagnostic tool and can really only help things out.

Lots of guys that are towing on the boating boards losing chevy 6.0's and 5.3's at ten years. I can't help but think just a bit of extra maintenance might have bought these guys a few more years of life.

UD

I'm worried that adding magnets to the filter could magnetize ferrous particles floating in the oil which in turn will stick to all steel parts in the engine. The wear of steel parts such as the crank, cams and svalve stems would then be greatly accelerated.

Is this anyone else's concern?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DrRoughneck
I'm worried that adding magnets to the filter could magnetize ferrous particles floating in the oil which in turn will stick to all steel parts in the engine. The wear of steel parts such as the crank, cams and svalve stems would then be greatly accelerated.

Is this anyone else's concern?

No.

Its takes a conscious effort and time multiple rapid passes of a ferrous object across a magnetic one direction to actually magnetize something and without continual efforts to keep it magnetized it will simply fade right away - add a bit of heat (like hot oil) and kaboom no more magnet.

Plus the way these work- if the filings did come loose they would simply flow into the filter pleats then either be held by the media or flow through because of size, but they wont come loose because the magnet is so strong.

In no situation I can see are you worse off with the magnet.

These are one of the only things that work without impeding flow, can be re-used, and cannot hurt but only help your engine.

Think of your filter and magnet as a tag team- working better together.

UD

Last edited:
I use two Filtermag industrial CT 3.2 magnet arrays to cover all of the oil filter rather than just half of it. I realize that one would do the job eventually, two will do it sooner.

Originally Posted By: harry j
I use two Filtermag industrial CT 3.2 magnet arrays to cover all of the oil filter rather than just half of it. I realize that one would do the job eventually, two will do it sooner.

That'll get er done!

I typically run one and a gold plug style magnet - if I can keep the particles from even getting to the oil pump at all it helps - then the ones that do get trapped by the filtermag against the side or in the case of the poster a Klear force mag on top of the can either way the particles stay out of the pleats and oil stream.

Keeping millions of 20 micron and less particles out of the oil flow has stopped my high dollar marine crankshafts from being scratched up so I can reuse them at rebuild time. Something your average car joe who's rig is an expendable throwaway doesn't care about.

Magnets are as cheap as insurance and diagnostic wear aids get.

UD

I agree UncleDave, That's why I use a Golden Eagle magnetic oil drain plug. It's neo magnet grabs any iron that passes it and won't let it go!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back