You are particular about viscosity, measure it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks extremely overpriced.

I thought having links to Ads and sites in your sig wasnt permitted on bitog?

Originally Posted By: Rand
Looks extremely overpriced.

Depends...I've been eyeing off machines that do HTHS as well, and they are about $12K, and only function on clean oil, not used with all the gribblies that follow.

As to the latter, that's a special arrangement.

Originally Posted By: Rand

That rule applies to motor oil companies. They don't want the oil companies getting free advertising. The little viscosimeter gadget is OK.

Looking at the tech spec sheet, this unit appears to be (Obviously) aimed at industrial quality control rather than scientific accuracy in engine oils...in fact it seems of scant use in engine oils period.

The number 3 rotor can do 0.3 to 13 dPas. 0.3dPas is 30Cp.

CP and Cst are used at BITOG interchangeably, which they ARE when measuring water as the relative density is "1", but we are using oils, with densities considerably less than 1.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3742278/Cp_and_Cst_-_the_confusion_bet

So min range for this machine, assuming density of 0.9 (high for a multigrade) is 33Cst...and as we've been told, all engines are "designed" for "10"...if the indication in that range is 0.1dPas (likely), then it only measures in 11Cst increments.

So this machine can/could be used for fun, but only around the KV40 range...or some other mid point, bit clearly no 100C, even with the thickest Australian oil.

Looking at the measurement errors and reproducability, they are offering 10%+/-, +/- 1 value of indication, and a reproducibility of 5%.

Further, if you are varying the temperature, you need to be aware of how accurately you can hold that, and then calculate the density. You can get the KV40, but the density is at 15C.

So even if it could measure "10", it would be somewhere between 9 and 11 at the best.

I'd spend my money piece by piece at Blackstone, and get more and other values out of it too.

Originally Posted By: AEHaas
The VT-05 model takes lesser viscosity readings.

Lucky buyers were slow on your initial recommendation then...

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: AEHaas
The VT-05 model takes lesser viscosity readings.

Lucky buyers were slow on your initial recommendation then...

They still wouldn't be lucky, as the VT-05 does not exist. It's not a 2015-2016 cataloged item. The only reference I could find was a brochure for the VT-05/06 marked "Tentative", and a reference to it in the viscosity guide. It's a unicorn at this point in time.

Ed

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
Why not just punch a hole in a cup and measure the drain time.?

Actually, a hole in a cup is a sharp edged orifice (much like the squirters that we tried to discuss in another thread), and are much less viscosity sensitive than a capillary.

But you already knew that and are just playing, aren't you ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back