Rob Ford has died at 46.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rob Ford, the very controversial Toronto politician, has died of cancer at just 46.

Not that he was the best Mayor, BUT he was a refreshing politician who seemed to be in touch with people a lot more than most, and I think he deserved respect for that. He was a lot more 'real' than most people in public office.

Feel bad for his family...they lost him way to soon. 46 is very young to die from cancer.

RIP Rob.

Sad
frown.gif
Now the award for coolest person from the GTA goes back to "The thrill from West Hill" Paul Tracy.

Originally Posted By: Doog
Ironic how Canadians love a drunk womanizer misogynist and vilify Donald Trump

Ironic how the first thing out of your mouth is anything that isn't sympathy.

I wouldn't quite go that far, but one thing is for sure. In the USA we somehow think our politicians should be immune to all human failings and have a lily white history. I'd much rather vote for someone who has made mistakes, owned up to them, and learned from them.

We sure waste a lot of time and money digging up "hidden" dirt, too. Wouldn't it be nice if they could just spill the beans up front and be done with it?

It seems we prefer hypocrites,

Not all of us...
Trump and Ford appeal to the same demographic though, and shows that Trump does have a remote chance becoming president, as somehow Ford became mayor.
I didn't like 99% of Fords politics but I feel bad for his kids, losing their Dad so early.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan

Not all of us...
Trump and Ford appeal to the same demographic though, and shows that Trump does have a remote chance becoming president, as somehow Ford became mayor.
I didn't like 99% of Fords politics but I feel bad for his kids, losing their Dad so early.

I would not say they are the same demographic. Ford traveled through life and came to a fork in the road. He decided to go one way....Trump took another.

Trump folks are generally angry, working class white guys that are tired of the same old stuff in politics. They want a plain speaking, rather shocking, guy. Trump knows this, and is selling himself as such. The angry voter is most likely getting fooled. But to say they would have been supportive of this loser, Ford? I really don't see it.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Sad
frown.gif
Now the award for coolest person from the GTA goes back to "The thrill from West Hill" Paul Tracy.

Nope. Lifeson, Lee, and Peart.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Sad
frown.gif

Nope. Lifeson, Lee, and Peart.

As a ChampCar fan I respectfully disagree. Now for coolest Canadian there is a soft spot in my heart for Jacques Villeneuve and James Hinchcliffe.

Originally Posted By: andrewg
Originally Posted By: IndyIan

Not all of us...

I would not say they are the same demographic. Ford traveled through life and came to a fork in the road. He decided to go one way....Trump took another.

Trump folks are generally angry, working class white guys that are tired of the same old stuff in politics. They want a plain speaking, rather shocking, guy. Trump knows this, and is selling himself as such. The angry voter is most likely getting fooled. But to say they would have been supportive of this loser, Ford? I really don't see it.

Ford's issues only became generally known after he was elected.
Most of Ford's support was also lower to middle class angry working class folks, tired of government waste and elitist ideals. In Toronto Ford's support was across most races and ethnic groups though as everybody in Toronto is a racial "minority" now.
Ford wasn't going to be re-elected mayor though, while many people would forgive alot of his personal issues, it was clear his problems were getting in the way of doing a good job.
I think more people in Canada don't really care what a politician does in their private life, if they are doing a good job. The problem with guys like Ford and Trump is that they don't like the job of actually reforming and running a government well.

^^ difficult to reform and run a government effectively when many of the establishment is still a pert of your elected team. I suspect if Trump or Cruz is elected in November, he will be forced to deal with the very same establishment they have campaigned against over the last year. It won't be as easy as it sounds. There is a good reason why the GOP have a strong dislike for both men. If Hillary is elected, it will be business as usual.

I am glad to see most folks on the various news sites have so far held off on their partisan attacks against Mr. Ford in the "comments" section. It certainly wasn't the case when he first announced he was ill. May he Rest In Peace.

Trump knows this, and is selling himself as such. The angry voter is most likely getting fooled.

Is there a Blue Moon in the sky tonight??

Yet another very rare agreement.
wink.gif

If Trump gets elected and all those angry working class white guys have been fooled, or Trump doesn't get elected, what do you think the electorate is going to be like in 2020 ?
It might be best for the country for Trump to get elected and succeed or fail so at least the pressure cooker that is the angry electorate will be relieved somewhat. People that feel bullied and feel like they have a government boot on the backs of their necks all the time aren't going to remain relatively passive forever.

Originally Posted By: Dwight_Frye
If Trump gets elected and all those angry working class white guys have been fooled, or Trump doesn't get elected, what do you think the electorate is going to be like in 2020 ?
It might be best for the country for Trump to get elected and succeed or fail so at least the pressure cooker that is the angry electorate will be relieved somewhat. People that feel bullied and feel like they have a government boot on the backs of their necks all the time aren't going to remain relatively passive forever.

Interesting viewpoint. It really shows you are thinking. I like it. I have said for a while that our country DESERVES Trump. We whine about how we are not satisfied with status quo. Let's put it on the table and try something different.

Originally Posted By: Dwight_Frye

Congress' approval rating has been worse than the Presidents' for a long, long time. Yet people like their own state congress critters, begrudgingly. People keep looking for hope in a new President when an obstructionist Congress is doing everything to get in the way.

Trump or no Trump, nothing's going to get done unless some Senate seats get move one way or the other.

We already point fingers and blame that stuff isn't going anywhere. Trump's been schmoozing the 2nd-most top tier of narcissists-- businesspeople-- but he'll be up to a new challenge fighting lobbyists and congress critters who've been "promoted" to a higher level by being the most sociopathic of all.

As for Ford, he struck me as the type to stroke out at a young age. He chose to be under the public eye and his life can (should) be a cautionary tale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back