Super Tech Multi-Vehicle Low Viscosity ATF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just ran across gallons of this stuff at Walmart.

I believe this might be a new product, distinct from their ATF quarts. Priced too high at the moment, Valvoline Maxlife is a good $4 cheaper. Hopefully this will become competitively priced after some rollbacks.

Advertises compatibility with Dexron V, Mercon LV, and Hyundai SP-IV, "and for use in many other transmissions"
mad.gif

U2kDgaO.jpg

Oy7ToGz.jpg

My brother who owned a transmission shop for many years says the one oil that fits most of the transmissions out there is the oil that keeps the shops busy. Use the oil that is supposed to go into your transmission.

Originally Posted By: mooferz
...Advertises compatibility with Dexron V...

Whoops I mean Dexron VI.

While I am annoyed by the Super Tech label vaguely implying product compatiblity, there is a certain logic to these compatible-with-everything ATFs, as ATF specifications are commonly discontinued and superseded by superior formulations.

So long as they're formulated to be superior to a minimum viscosity requirement, and has sufficient friction modifiers, ATF formulations can indeed fulfill the requirements of a variety of ATF specifications. Otherwise, perhaps there would be a market for whale oil based ATF.

As an example, Valvoline's claim that its superior shear stability enabled it to perform better than Mercon over time was sufficient for the PQIA to drop its advisory against using it.

Whoops! Just noticed the second photo.

"And for use in many other transmissions." is what has me worried. The wording reminds me of Maxlife.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Whoops! Just noticed the second photo.

"And for use in many other transmissions." is what has me worried. The wording reminds me of Maxlife.

The non-specifics would deter me, but then again I also use Castrol IMV for Matic-D application.

"Will it work with _____ transmission?"
"Sure, why not. Well, maybe. We don't guarantee anything. And we can't/won't drop names either."

$5.49 a quart - still more expensive than their Dex VI. I think I will stick to their Dex VI in my automatic transmission equipped vehicle!

But good to see that there is a decent bulk alternative for those who have Mercon -LV

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Here's a similar MAG-1 product. It's label says that it is approved by GM and Ford. It's spec. sheet shows that it is "suitable for use" in many other applications.

http://www.mag1.com/productdetails.aspx?id=d97f9a91-b8b5-4334-b42a-55f0b5c590fe (pdf of spec sheet link at page bottom)

If the supertech is the MAG1 product I would not be concerned about using it. Warren blends most of the ATF for the Supertech name. I have used Supertech in the past without any issues.

I've never had problems with Supertech products, but right now I like the Wallyworld price on Valvoline Maxlife synthetic.

Glad to see this out
smile.gif

Most likely the same as Mag 1 Low-Vis. Yeah the price is a bit high tough, but Walmart will probably rollback soon enough.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Glad to see this out
smile.gif

Most likely the same as Mag 1 Low-Vis. Yeah the price is a bit high tough, but Walmart will probably rollback soon enough.

With SP-IV selling around $15 per quart, these products at $22 a gallon seem like a steal.

However, with a 100,000 mile warranty, this non approved, but "suitable for use" fluid might cause problems IF there was a warranty repair.

https://www.google.com/search?q=www.revbase.com%2FBBBMotor%2FTsb%2F%2FDownloadPdf%3Fid%3D177570&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

This comes in overpriced $6 quarts now.
MseXj3h.jpg

YMMV but the old ST Multi-Vehicle Semi-Synthetic ATF might be on clearance. I saw $3 at one store.

I noticed that the low viscosity ST fluid on the shelves at my local WalMart is now approved by both ford and gm.

Last time I looked, it was labeled just as yours are in the pic above.

No, I didn't get a pic.

Originally Posted By: meborder
I noticed that the low viscosity ST fluid on the shelves at my local WalMart is now approved by both ford and gm.

If you scroll down on Afton's ATF marketing page, both the Dexron and Mercon LV logos there are - since Ford and GM worked together on the 6Fxx/6T series of trannies - and rumor has it they are also working on a 10-speed AT for trucks. Afton is GM and Ford's ATF add-pack supplier, unless someone can verify.

http://atfonatf.com/

Originally Posted By: meborder

Last time I looked, it was labeled just as yours are in the pic above.

No, I didn't get a pic.

Do they show the licence numbers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back