Purolator L10241 ( cut open- some tearing)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Off of a 2010 Tacoma V6. In service for 4 months/ 4500 miles with 5w30 Mobil Oil. This is my last batch of L10241 Filter. Slight tear but no visible hole on the top of the pleat with the metal crimp. The pleat to the left of it looks like its starting to tear as well, but can't get a good picture of it.

What is the code on the can? I can't make out the letter that shows the year of manufacture.

Originally Posted By: MrQuackers
What is the code on the can? I can't make out the letter that shows the year of manufacture.

F05G15D1

Go figure
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: car51
May 15th, 2015 line "d" and 1st shift. tear o lator has NOT fixed the issue
smile.gif

....so much for Purolator having fixed the problem in 2014...my boycott continues...

Good thing the FRAM Ultra exists.

WIX seems to be going downhill with their Mexican made filters, I would not touch a Purolator.

A filter that has a tear isn't technically a filter anymore in my books, pumping filthy oil around and around in your engine the whole OCI.

Originally Posted By: pbm
....so much for Purolator having fixed the problem in 2014...my boycott continues...

Maybe Johnson & Johnson can take them off the hands of Mann + Hummel. They're the experts at no more tears, after all.

That is the old design L10241. The old ones are almost guaranteed to tear. I believe the newer ones are ok. The new ones don't use the metal crimp and have the slotted center tube. I cut one open last year that had an Aug 2015 date code. I am currently running an STP 3014 which is a slotted tube Purolator also made in in Aug 2015. I will cut it open after my normal OCI.

Purolator may want to reconsider their metal and cap campaign. It's a bust. The metal end cap is the problem. It doesn't flex stretching a the paper. Add a spirited driver and the fast-flowing oil rips the pleat at the metal end cap.

Yet another example of that superior Mann&Hummel QC/QA leadership on display. One would think after ten years of ownership they could get it right.

Leap of faith, but maybe the new M&H Puro line up has it figured out.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Purolator may want to reconsider their metal and cap campaign. It's a bust. The metal end cap is the problem. It doesn't flex stretching a the paper. Add a spirited driver and the fast-flowing oil rips the pleat at the metal end cap.

Bull. Everybody else (including Fram in their better filters) uses metal end caps, and have no issues. The whole "see, the end caps have the same characteristics as the filter media so they're BETTER" is just an ad campaign to sell low-end filters and defuse criticism, IMO. There may be some truth to it, but it would better be stated as "see, we can get away with a whole lot less filter media with big, wide pleates and poorer control of the pleat spacing if we band-aid it with flexible end-caps."

These old Purolators obviously had a problem in the assembly process that over-stressed a couple of pleats near the seam. IMO its not a design issue per se, and its certainly not a metal end cap issue. It was an assembly problem, and appears to be fixed in the new product line (we hope...)

Originally Posted By: Falken

WIX seems to be going downhill with their Mexican made filters, I would not touch a Purolator.

A filter that has a tear isn't technically a filter anymore in my books, pumping filthy oil around and around in your engine the whole OCI.
Just like it's going into bypass. THAT never happens, right?

Where did that come from?

The Wix/Napa that are common for 57055 are (or often) made in Mexico. No issues I have seen with that on this board.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig

Just like it's going into bypass. THAT never happens, right?

You must like your bypass valve to be open 100% of the time.
grin.gif

WIX seems to be going downhill with their Mexican made filters

That sucks, but at least the 51348 is US-made
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back