Lets talk about Bourbon

I have tried all the low to mid priced Bourbons I could find.
I also have had a few of the higher priced boutique Bourbons.
Heres my take.
Low priced- Ancient Age. Pretty good for the price point.
Mid price- Jim Beam white label.I like it
Higher price- Jim Beam Black label. I think its as good as any Bourbon at any price.
Most unique- Evan Williams-Just tastes totally different from any other Bourbon.
Best Bourbon to clean your cars engine-Old Grand Dad. This stuff is just plain nasty.

Try the green label Jim beam I personally think it is better than the black.

Try a bottle of blanton's (sp?) it's one of my favorites.
Basil hayden is another favorite of mine.

Originally Posted By: marine65

Most unique- Evan Williams-Just tastes totally different from any other Bourbon.
Best Bourbon to clean your cars engine-Old Grand Dad. This stuff is just plain nasty.

Agree on both these. I'm from Louisville originally where bourbon is taken quite seriously, and EW is my go-to cheap bourbon. You could try their Heaven Hill, too.

Ridgemont Reserve is an impressive premium one IMO.

Last edited:
Bourbon is a type of whiskey that gets its name from Bourbon County, Kentucky, where it originated. Bourbon tends to be amber-colored, and a little sweeter and heavier in texture than other whiskeys.

Kirkland Brand Canadian Whiskey from Costco is pretty smooth.

I'm doing this from memory (my hobby) so forgive me if I miss something. This is from a 1964 act of Congress.

Bourbon is a unique product of the U.S.A. and can be made in any state. 95% or more of it is made in Kentucky, though.

Bourbon must be made using a mash bill that is at least 51% corn. The other grains used are up to the distiller, but are usually rye or wheat, and malted barley.

Bourbon distillate must come off the still at no more than 160 proof (80% ABV).

Bourbon cannot be entered into the barrel for maturation at more than 125 proof (62.5% ABV).

Borubon must be aged in new, charred, American white oak barrels. These barrels are reused all over the world but cannot be reused to make bourbon. (Do you think the coopers' union had anything to do with this?)

There is no minimum aging requirement for bourbon, though, to be called "straight" it has to be in the barrel for at least two years. If it is in the barrel for any less than four years an age statement is required on the label. That's why you will rarely find a bourbon less than four years old (Jim Beam white label is four years old).

Bourbon may be diluted to bottling proof with water, but no flavorings or colorants may be added.

I'm not going to add my favorites to this list because I know my preferences are not the same as others. If any of you are interested in recommendations I would have to ask a few questions first. As I said, this is a hobby and I have gained a lot of firsthand knowledge (and liver damage, I'm sure).

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
Booker's rocks.

That just happens to be my current favorite. I won't spend any more than that for a bottle. No need.

Originally Posted By: SumpChump
Early Times - yummy

Old Fitzgerald - good indeed

I used to play in a pool league in a dump of a bar.
First night there I ordered a Bourbon and coke and asked for the well Bourbon.
It was so good i went to the bar and asked what it was.
It was Early Times! Pretty good for a low price whiskey.
While not a true Bourbon it was darn good.

Early Times is one of the biggest names in inexpensive whiskey… and now it’s trying to creep upmarket. Today we look at the (only) ET that’s been on sale since the 1980s, and the new Early Times 354 Bourbon, which debuts this month.

Early Times Kentucky Whisky – Note carefully, it’s not “Bourbon.” It’s “Kentucky Whisky.” (It’s not even “Whiskey,” mind you.) Why not Bourbon? Because although it spends a minimum of 3 years in barrel, not all of the barrels are new (which is required by law): About 20 percent are old barrels used for real Bourbons. The result is accelerated aging (as the Bourbon trapped in the barrels mixes with the new spirit added to them) but less wood flavor infused. The result is a simple and young whiskey, one with a big, boozy nose. This eventually fades to reveal a very sweet body, filled with caramel notes and touches of nutmeg and cinnamon. There’s something here that makes it clear that this is not indeed Bourbon — there’s not enough wood and the body doesn’t have enough heft to it. It’s like the Diet Coke of the Bourbon world. Close to the real thing, but not quite. Still, for a mixer it can work. In fact, the Early Times Mint Julep is the official drink of Churchill Downs on Kentucky Derby day. Don’t tell the fans it ain’t Bourbon. 80 proof. B- / $12

Last edited:
thought Old Forester or Woodford were official Churchill Downs..all incl. ET by Brown Foreman.

Last edited:
So, I'm in a local liquor store and this lady walks in and says "Pappy Van Winkle" like the employees are going to lead her right to it.

If I ever get a bottle I'll resell it. No Buffalo Trace made wheated bourbon is ever going to be worth over $100 a bottle.

I really have Buffalo Trace or Woodford right up there with the more expensive Blanton's or Pappy 15 for that matter...

Willett products have really taken a miserable quality dive, they must have money issues..drank their Johnny Drum Private Stock for years..too bad, but these bourbons can and do change over time especially ones with no age statements..they can then do what ever they like to the age mix.

like cigarettes, where one man loves a Raleigh the other man L&M I believe bourbon has a similar characteristic in that the more of a particular brand bourbon you consume the more comfortable you become with it...the Raleigh guy gags on a L&M and vice versa.

Back