No I don't have Facebook...

Status
Not open for further replies.
What you guys don't realize is that there is much, much more to Facebook than selfies, gossip, etc.

There are thousands of pages on Facebook relating to just about every hobby and interest you can think of.

There are tons of "community bulletin board" type pages where people can post information about things going on in the community, lost/found pets, share information and recommendations on local businesses, etc. If there's no already one for your community, anyone can start one.

There are many buy/sell/trade pages where you can post things you have for sale or things you may be looking to buy.

Many police departments have Facebook pages where they can post all kinds of information. I know of several cases locally where the police have solved cases because information they posted on Facebook has led to tips from the public.

When ads first started appearing on the internet, we were warned that this wonderful information-sharing tool would become a tool of big business.

When JavaScript came on the scene, we were warned that it was not a good idea to allow arbitrary code to be executed on our computers.

Now, those dire predictions have come true. There is a private sub-internet that requires you to surrender your privacy and is likely to compromise your system's security. And we're all grabbing our ankles so we can talk to our "friends" from high school who we didn't like then and we can't be bothered to call now. This system is called "Facebook".

You know, it used to be that growing apart from childhood friends meant that you were an adult!

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
and all this can be done on the internet without facebook

Facebook gets it done much more quickly.

As an example, this Facebook message was just posted by one of the local police departments here:

Quote:
The Lino Lakes Department of Public Safety would like to send out a special thank-you to the Lino Lakes Facebook community for being directly responsible for identifiying the two males that stole the cell phones from AT&T on January 11th. Within one hour of posting the help request, we obtained a full name of one of the men. By the second day, we received several messages from others identifying the partner in crime. Felony theft charges are pending. Without your help, this case may have gone unsolved. Thank you all for your help! We could not do our job without you.

Originally Posted By: Neely97
Who needs FB when you have BITOG !

I love how the people who are being critical about others posting their life on Facebook are the same ones posting their life on BITOG.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Originally Posted By: Neely97
Who needs FB when you have BITOG !

I love how the people who are being critical about others posting their life on Facebook are the same ones posting their life on BITOG.
grin2.gif

I concur, My family lives 3000 miles I away, it is the easiest way for all my east coast relatives to see my kids grow up.
Not only that 90 percent of the folks I served with on Submarines and in the Army are on there. It is a great way to stay in touch them. There are a multitude of Submarine pages with great photos and video. Lots of LSx and 3800 based pages as well.
It is what you make of it. You don't have to buy into the drama and you don't have to follow the people who "upset" you.

Had FB for about 5 years. Used it for digging up people for a 40 year class reunion. Was thinking about getting rid of it. I was tired of being asked all of the questions, like where do I live, where do I work where did I go to school, what was my birthdate so on and so forth. I never gave up any of that info then one day my exact birthday info popped up on my fb page. Talk about data mining. I deleted the page a year ago and never looked back.

Originally Posted By: Ethan1
When ads first started appearing on the internet, we were warned that this wonderful information-sharing tool would become a tool of big business.

When JavaScript came on the scene, we were warned that it was not a good idea to allow arbitrary code to be executed on our computers.

Now, those dire predictions have come true. There is a private sub-internet that requires you to surrender your privacy and is likely to compromise your system's security. And we're all grabbing our ankles so we can talk to our "friends" from high school who we didn't like then and we can't be bothered to call now. This system is called "Facebook".

You know, it used to be that growing apart from childhood friends meant that you were an adult!

best post ever!

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
But it is fun to keep up with folks who would be tough to find otherwise. The ad hoc network that can form is quite nice for catching up with lost friends.

But the meme is correct...

I DO have "Facebook for F-Wits" as one of my workmates calls it ... linkedin. I use it similarly, but mostly for people that I have worked with, or otherwise made contact with.

Has some good boards where you can share professional experience.

And given that employers look there, emo memes and the like aren't the norm.

Employers look at facebook aswell....

Originally Posted By: surfstar
You guys realize that FB isn't all that different that what you're doing in the "off topic" section of this forum, right?

except the anonimity...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back