boat 455 olds rusted/frozen

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've gone as far as putting a 2x4 in the cylinder and beating a stuck piston loose. Haven't damaged anything yet but about all you can do is pinch or break a ring.

Last one was a 4cyl skid steer engine that had rust in all cylinders, knocked it loose and cleaned up what I could and knocked it the other till I got it to roll over smooth. Got it running and did a couple piston soaks with PB and seafoam till the rings all started sealing again and the things been running like a top since.

Originally Posted By: ironman_gq
I've gone as far as putting a 2x4 in the cylinder and beating a stuck piston loose.

I've been doing that on the known rusted cylinder, but I'm going easy. I've got all the time in the world to get it unstuck. I've got another boat i can use this summer. And may not even do any boating.

Was in az a while ago and saw a bottle of metal rescue for 20 bucks. I didn't go for it but will read up some more. I probably need to take the head off the other side so I can see what I got. I've been thinking about grinding down a screwdriver real thin to see if I can wedge it between the piston and cylinder to rock the piston and move the ring directly.

It's slowly becoming apparent that penetrating oils aren't going to be enough. I've been using all kinds of things on the rusted cylinder. The Eastwood fast etch was turning black even though there is no visible rust. Looking at it closer it's bubbling and reacting. I believe it's getting the rust down to the compression ring. I'm going to continue on this tact until it's not turning black anymore, then wale on it again.

I have found Kroil to be the superior off the shelf penetrating oil over the last 30 years or so. Somebody did a thorough test and the only thing that beat is was a homebrew made with ATF and acetone.

Just how long did you leave this poor thing sitting and never run?
It usually takes many years for an engine to lock up due to rust.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
The boat is a colorado custom Starbuck. It originally had an olds 403. I blew that up wi
grin.gif
grin.gif
thin months of purchase and put this 455 engine out of a 73 olds 98. I stupidly threw out the nice marine G heads with the big intake valves.

This thing is stuck real good. I'm having doubts it'll turn again without a rebuild. The cylinder could be sleeved or just bored oversize.

In retrospect even I make mistakes
grin.gif
!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back