Need to switch oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Before I start, I want to say that I never can find the right place to post my questions. There really should be a 2 stroke exclusive section on this forum.

Anyway I live on 2 strokes. The only thing I own that isn't are my cars. I own chainsaws, weed eaters, a dirtbike, an outboard, snowmobile, and a few others I'm forgetting, all are 2 stroke. For the past 5 years or so it was easy. All I used was Pennzoil Marine full-synthetic, and I bought it at the local Menards by the gallon for about $25. I go through about 5 gallons a year, so cost is a concern. For some reason Menards decided to just stop carrying the Pennzoil, and I am lost. For the past 5 years, I have never seen the full-synthetic anywhere else, only the blend. Even now, I can find it only online, and for over $50 a gallon!!! I have been looking for a replacement, but there doesn't seem to be one. There are a few synthetic blends, but I have never been a fan. I either buy full synthetic or conventional. Why are there no full-synthetic oils for $25-$30 a gallon? I have been contemplating the high dollar oils, and for my situation, I feel would be Klotz motorcycle techniplate TCW-3. I have yet to find it under $50 a gallon. I can get royal purple for $40 a gallon, but that's still high. On the other end I could go to a conventional, but I don't trust it. It would work for the chainsaws and such, but I don't think it would do so well in the high performance engines. Requirements are it has to be full-synthetic, for pre-mix and oil injection, and under $30 a gallon.

Last edited:
Autozone carries Valvoline full synthetic tcw3 two stroke for $3.99 a quart around here. That would come out to $16 per gallon. Fully synthetic and cheaper than what you are requesting. I would check your local Autozone.

Originally Posted By: 2stroke
Before I start, I want to say that I never can find the right place to post my questions. There really should be a 2 stroke exclusive section on this forum.

Anyway I live on 2 strokes. The only thing I own that isn't are my cars. I own chainsaws, weed eaters, a dirtbike, an outboard, snowmobile, and a few others I'm forgetting, all are 2 stroke. For the past 5 years or so it was easy. All I used was Pennzoil Marine full-synthetic, and I bought it at the local Menards by the gallon for about $25. I go through about 5 gallons a year, so cost is a concern. For some reason Menards decided to just stop carrying the Pennzoil, and I am lost. For the past 5 years, I have never seen the full-synthetic anywhere else, only the blend. Even now, I can find it only online, and for over $50 a gallon!!! I have been looking for a replacement, but there doesn't seem to be one. There are a few synthetic blends, but I have never been a fan. I either buy full synthetic or conventional. Why are there no full-synthetic oils for $25-$30 a gallon? I have been contemplating the high dollar oils, and for my situation, I feel would be Klotz motorcycle techniplate TCW-3. I have yet to find it under $50 a gallon. I can get royal purple for $40 a gallon, but that's still high. On the other end I could go to a conventional, but I don't trust it. It would work for the chainsaws and such, but I don't think it would do so well in the high performance engines. Requirements are it has to be full-synthetic, for pre-mix and oil injection, and under $30 a gallon.

I think (but never owned one) that some Saab or Peugeot were 2-cycle back in the 1960s. Saab 96.

So get one of these and all your engines can be 2-cycle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijOCDzcbG4k

Did you try Amazon? Since you go through 5 gallons of 2-stroke oil a year, taking a subscription to buy it on Amazon Prime sounds perfect for your situation.

Originally Posted By: dave123
Fleet Farm Mystic Sea&Snow run in anything you have.
This is a good option. Some guys swear by it.

I see a valvoline synpower 2t exists somewhere, but I can't find where to buy it, even online. Autozone doesn't have any valvoline 2 cycle oil on their website. I am an amazon prime member, but oil is rarely much cheaper there. As for mystik oil, I'm not sure. Sea and snow specificly says "not for Tcw-3 applications."

I see a valvoline synpower 2t exists somewhere, but I can't find where to buy it, even online. Autozone doesn't have any valvoline 2 cycle oil on their website. I am an amazon prime member, but oil is rarely much cheaper there. As for mystik oil, I'm not sure. Sea and snow specificly says "not for Tcw-3 applications."
I promise no chainsaw is recommended to run on tcw-3

Pennzoil did it, so it can be done. I'm at the point where I might just flip a coin. Go dirt cheap like supertech or expensive like klotz. My main concern is the boat, followed by the dirtbike, snowmobile. I don't care about the saws much, I don't depend on them.

Mystic JT-4 if tcw-3 oil is most concerned but it's not ideal in air cooled 2stroke app as no tcw-3 oil will never be. Learn the specs and what they are.

I know what the specs are, and a tcw3 has always been fine for me. Dirtbike, snowmobile, and boat are all liquid cooled motors. Maybe BITOG isn't the best place for me. It makes me over think something I'm already overthinking.

I think what I will do is stock up as much pennzoil as I can get. Then in a few years, hopefully I can find it again, or a reasonable priced alternative.

TCW-3 will cause hard carbon on the dirt bike and power tools and it isnt real healthly for the snowmobile either. I would go with Mercury Quicksilver, which can be bought at Walmart or Sea and Snow which is good oil. One of the best I ever used. That boat just dump Supertech TCW 3 in it. Boats don't do as nasty stuff as the internals as TCW3 does to air cooled on land two strokes. Polaris used to call for TCW 3 oil in their quads and sleds until it started doing bad stuff like carboning the rings and busting piston skirts. The newer Polaris two stroke is TC rated. If you love your two strokes as much as you say, you would buy two different oils. 5 gallon a year isnt much oil and betting the boat burns the bulk of it.

I've been using the Farm Fleet (Blain's)(Citgo) TCW-3 at $15.99. goes in every engine I own.

No deposits in my dirtbike, I just replaced the head gasket, and cleaned the power valve. No idea on the snowmobile. 2 oils is possible, but I feed everything but the boat from the same gas can. I fill the boat at the pump. Everything of mine is now premix.

If you are aware of the differences and you are making an informed choice then it is of course your choice. I will leave you with this,

Some water craft manufacturers like SeaDoo specifically state not to use TC-W3 in their engines (Rotax). API FC is recommended.

I also used 4 stroke oil in my 2 stroke mower for years. I didn't even measure out the oil accurately, I likely used too much. That mower did a lot of hard work and kept going for a long time, until one day it finally didn't. In the final days it was loosing power. It shows you how tolerant many machines really are, or at least how they appear on the outside.

Originally Posted By: Olas
100LL and http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=19&pcid=16 if you really care about the two-stroke, anything cheaper is false economy because you'll rebuild it sooner than the savings have mou ted up enough to pay for the rebuild.

I'm thinking this is a joke to make a point.

I can get 100LL at the local airport, but none of my machines are real high compression. I get no detonation with 91 no-ox.

$85 a gallon, WOW!!! I get 40 gallons of gas from one gallon of oil. That oil is almost more expensive than my gas!!!

I can rebuild a top end on anything for under $200. I can find pison/rings for the small stuff like chainsaws and such for around $50. I don't mind wrenching anyway, I actually like it. I'm a mechanic (machinery/robotic) by trade.

When the time comes I will be going cheap. The step down from what I have been using is Pennzoil XLF. While I'm not happy about it, many people love it, and it is about $18 a gallon at Walmart.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Olas
100LL and http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=19&pcid=16 if you really care about the two-stroke, anything cheaper is false economy because you'll rebuild it sooner than the savings have mou ted up enough to pay for the rebuild.

I'm thinking this is a joke to make a point.

Good man
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back