AEON/JUSCO syntethic 5W-40 - something's wrong ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw this oil at the local Aeon/Jusco supermarket, which is a japanese owned supermarket chain in malaysia. The price is very cheap for a full synthetic, but something doesn't add up to me.
For one, the VI seems exaggerated at 168, which i think even a shell or castrol or mobil syn , is only about 130 to 140.
Next, this seems to be a thick 40wt with 14.33 cst at 100 C, correct me if I am wrong, but isn't it impossible for a 5W-40 to be resource conserving , especially at THAT cst ?
lastly the flashpoint seems ridiculously low at 210 C.
Well AEON is a reputable company, so probably somebody in the purchasing doesn't know squat about motor oil ?

I don't think you'll find any 40 grades that are ILSAC certified these days, particularly since you can't have low HTHS 40s. Some fool put the resource conserving thing on the Donut when it doesn't belong, and also put it on the wrong spot on the jug. It's supposed to be on the back.

Motor oils generally have a flash point of 425-485 deg F. For example M1 0w-40 is 439 deg F. This oil? A lowly 210 deg C or 410 deg F. Doesn't even make the chart.

69GTX,

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
Motor oils generally have a flash point of 425-485 deg F. For example M1 0w-40 is 439 deg F. This oil? A lowly 210 deg C or 410 deg F. Doesn't even make the chart.

The testing method specified in this oil is ASTM D-93 which is Pensky-Martens Closed Cup test, therefore the flash point is so low. If it would be tested under ASTM D-92 I expect the flash point to be around 230 C.

More details at http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=761083

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back