Who makes the best 1/2 ton pickup truck???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate to admit it, but I think the new Nissan would win this battle.

Of the "big 3", I think I would have to put Ford up near the top, with GM products coming in a close second, followed by Dodge, who is catching up quickly. This is my opinion based on reliability, comfort, maint costs, and fuel mileage.

Toyota makes the most reliable one ...I can tell you that for sure, having owned one for eight years. Out of warranty expenses consisted of replacing the original battery after seven years and replacing the original Dunlops @ 45k miles.

Book value w/ 72k miles was about $6000.00 for a truck I paid $14,000.00 for in April of 1996....

TS

Agree with TooSlick, I have Ford work trucks and my Tundra is very hard to beat. It will be around for a long time. No problems in two years.
grin.gif

the best 1/2 ton pickup truck is the one you can get with a diesel... oh, wait, you cant, they all have guzzling V8s.

Guess Id have to sat the best half ton pickup truck is no half ton pickup truck... a 3/4 ton with a diesel is the best.

Id say the Dodge with a cummins is the best. Good deals can be had.

JMH

Best at what ? Comfort, towing, speed ? If you just want a big car that hauls lighter, sometimes bulky things then go for comfort, reliability and price as capacity isn't much of an issue. If you want a fully optioned, heavier duty crew cab then you're also in the less optioned 3/4 ton cost arena. The Toyotas seem to consistently get marks for reliability but out this way it seems like I see more Fords being used as work trucks. I think that Dodge makes the fastest truck, for whatever that's worth.

drive it forever,
If you want to "drive it forever", get a Toyota. If you need it for hauling heavy stuff, day in, day out, get a Ford F150 with the 5.4 v-8. You can order one with a tow package and heavy duty springs etc. if needed. If you want a higher quality, durable, long lasting, and great all around truck, and you don't need it for huge loads, do yourself a favor and get a Toyota. You won't be sorry.

One of the old-school (pre 97ish) dodge dakotas. Check the bed size; 9/10s of a "real truck".

Can be had with engines from 2.5 to 5.9 liters... sticks, automatics, 2 or 4 wheels driving.

Less frontal area means better MPG and maneuverability. My 2.5 stripper model has ~1200 lbs payload capacity.

I agree, Toyota, I have had Two in the last 20 years, cost per mile has to be the lowest there is. If you need somthing bigger once in a while, 'Rent it' you will still end up ahead.
The problem is, it seems you can't get a Basic 'Work Truck' anymore, and end up paying too much for a pretty truck that's likely to get trashed.
frown.gif

I realize Toyota's are probably tops in reliability, but I'd be hard pressed to buy one for one simple reason. I find the seats in Toyota trucks are far too close to the floor. It's almost a car like seating position and I find it very uncomfortable. American trucks (at least fullsize units), have the seat nice and high off the floor and I find that far more comfortable than the Toyota's even though they often have better seats. Mind you, I am a pretty guy, so maybe not many other's find this a problem?

A good friend of mine has an '05 Tacoma pickup, and I really like that truck. We took it on a good long trip a couple of months ago and I did some of the driving. Again, I found the seating position in this truck very uncomfortable simply because it was too close to the floor. All of the other Toyota trucks I have been in are like this too.

I wouldn't mind getting a half-ton within the next couple of years, but my choice will probably be a 1988-95 GM truck with a TBI V8 engine. IMO, best all round trucks for work, comfort, reliability, I can do all the maintenance, and best of all, I find the seating position very comfortable.

quote:

Originally posted by andrews:

quote:

Mind you, I am a pretty guy, so maybe not many other's find this a problem?

really? How pretty are you?
lol.gif
Just kidding.

**** !
blush.gif
I missed that typo! I really should have proof read the message. I meant to say, "I am a pretty tall guy," hence the problem with comfort.

I am biased, but the Toyota Tundra double cab is a nice truck and will give you less trouble than all the others becuase the drivetrain is proven to be reliable. I say the Dbl cab becasue it is the larger frame version. It is wider and longer than the first genration frame that is still produced on the extended cab. The double cab sits nice and tall like a truck should too.

I am waiting for Toyota to break into the heavy duty truck market, that'l **** some people off.
wink.gif

Based upon results the Toyota is the most reliable. The rest are not even close, After Toyota , Ford would be my choice for being heavy duty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back