Bottom bracket spindle raceways spalled

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kestas

Staff member
I need to replace the crank spindle (bottom bracket), since the inner raceways are spalled after 38 years of riding. I measured my spindle and find it's size code 3TR, 132 mm overall length, and square taper ends. I don't know why the old one is stamped "3R." I believe it's a hard size to find. Where would I get a replacement?

You're probably SOL.

Since the BB is crank specific, why not just get some new cranks with an appropriate BB?

Originally Posted By: Kestas
I need to replace the crank spindle (bottom bracket), since the inner raceways are spalled after 38 years of riding. I measured my spindle and find it's size code 3TR, 132 mm overall length, and square taper ends. I don't know why the old one is stamped "3R." I believe it's a hard size to find. Where would I get a replacement?

Check this site out for some info:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/bbsize.html

I too, use the old style BB. I've had to accept one that was a touch wider than the original. No big deal, and I can't tell that my feet are 3mm farther apart...

I saw that site. That's where I got the size code. Here are the exact measurements of mine:

A = 37mm
B = 52mm
C = 43mm
D = 132mm

I see 130mm BB available. I didn't see anything larger available. I don't know if 2mm less would be a problem.

Also, I don't know what is meant by "symmetrical equivalent."

Your older BB is probably longer on the drive side. Symmetrical means length from inner race to the end of the BB is the same length. Therefore 2mm might very well be a problem. The crank arm will hit the chain stay.
Is 52mm the width of the BB shell on the frame?

Phil Wood makes a 130 and a 135. I'm guessing this is an older bike with oversize tubes and a triple crank ? I'd check a local bike shop first. If not, give Harris Cyclery a call (Where Sheldon Brown worked), they are a great, honest bunch.

I dont know if they make your size, but SKF builds the most bombproof BB I have ever used. Others will say the same thing. If you can find an SKF in your size, it will be the last BB you ever put on that bike. My SKF BB on my commuter has over 70,000 miles on it and this is the sort of abuse it takes. The bearings are as tight as the day I installed them. Here is a pic from a few weeks ago on my 20 mile commute in the snow, the roads were heavily salted this day:
3bd5da21-b8e0-4036-8cdb-f3a1fb82e99e_zpso3t5qloa.jpg

Prior to using and SKF BB, I would trash a BB once a year. This BB has an offset drive side too just like your bike.

No work whatsoever. No greasing, no cleaning. I knew SKF BB's were very stout, using a triple sealed ball and roller system, so when I installed it, I used a ton of anti seize.

bb_SKFBAS.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back