Limbsaver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a Limbsaver recoil pad on a 7mm melt in my gun safe. Kind of a mess. The Decelerator pad on another 7mm is just fine.

I sent Limbsaver an email. So far, no reply. Anyone else experience a melting Limbsaver recoil pad?

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
How hot was the safe?

In an AC room at about 78degrees.......

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Care to explain this?

If you are interested, search melting limbsaver recoil pads.

A google search shows that it is a very common problem. Im am glad you posted this as I will never buy one or keep one on any gun.

Yes I have a Remington 870 in the safe that has a goopy mess of whats left of a limb saver pad. My opinion is that gun solvent has drained down to the bottom of the gun, attacked the rubber, and "melted" it. That's my guess.

The only Limbsaver Pad I have is on my .50 BMG. After 5 years, it's still going strong. It is stored horizontally. I agree with Bubba. This all sounds like a chemical reaction to cleaning solvents attacking the "rubber" they use in it.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Yes I have a Remington 870 in the safe that has a goopy mess of whats left of a limb saver pad. My opinion is that gun solvent has drained down to the bottom of the gun, attacked the rubber, and "melted" it. That's my guess.

Except I don't put guns away wet with Hoppies, or anything else. I was surprised to read about you and others that have had the pads melt.

Curious if Limbsaver changed their pad material in the last 10 years or so.

Many trapshooters swear by Limbsaver pads. They burn more powder and throw more lead than any of the other shooting disciplines. Limbsaver recoil pads are probably one of the biggest aftermarket items installed at the major trap shoots. I haven't heard of any, let alone many complaining of their pads "melting".

My trap Beretta came with a good pad, so I didn't need to add one.

I've got Limbsavers mounted on two rifles: an AR-15 and a DPMS LR-308 (AP4 carbine model). They're great. They clip over the adjustable carbine stock and make the rifles very soft shooting. The AR-15 becomes a great rifle for teaching new shooters: already low recoil softened by the Limbsaver.

No melting yet...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ironman_gq
I'm going with a solvent reaction, solvent vapors can also cause issues.

+1 vapors in a closed cabinet

Originally Posted By: Doog
Originally Posted By: ironman_gq
I'm going with a solvent reaction, solvent vapors can also cause issues.

+1 vapors in a closed cabinet

My firearms don't have the vapors.........

It really depends on the conditions in your home - what safeguards we apply and how often. There's really many variables that take both sides of the equation. I haven;t used a couple shotguns in my safe for at least 15 years. They are fine, after every yearly inspection and I live in the humid North Midwest.

My precautions are working just fine and it's really not difficult to maintain, not letting that gun safe get above 55% humidity in the humid summer and that rust inhibitor I used 15 years ago, still working. Thank you Birchwood-Casey.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back