Gumout DI Intake Valve Cleaner!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
My 2011 135i only has 14k miles, so Im not that concerned yet about buildup due to DI. But I do read up on such things time to time, and came upon the following product:

Gumout Regane Direct Injection Intake Valve & Port Cleaner

https://gumout.com/wp-content/uploads/20...ort-Cleaner.pdf

There is very little out on it yet. I did find some info on it here

Quote:
The newest, fastest and cheaper option to clean your fuel system has arrived from Gumout.

With 30% of new cars having a GDI or gasoline direct injection, it can be very costly to clean out a vehicle’s fuel system – until now.

This highly concentrated, professional-strength formula removes performance-robbing gum and deposits.

You’ll get an unmatched clean with a polyetheramine (PEA) formula, it’ll restore lost horsepower and even help with gas mileage.

Anyone see this yet? Im almost due for an oil change, and if its easy and OTC, I might just use a bit as a maintenance regimen... Why not, right???

This is interesting.

I have a 2016 WRX on the way (DI, turbo) and I came to this forum to look and see if I could find data on what the cleanest fuel is (if, in fact, one is cleaner than the next).

So, with DI, how would this product work? If it goes in the gas tank, how would it reach the back faces of the valves?

Originally Posted By: nicholas
I see a lot of acetone = 60-100%??????

The MSDS also says...
"7.19 % of the mixture consists of components(s) of unknown hazards to the aquatic environment."

So don't use this stuff to clean your fish; it's unknown what might happen to them.

Is this an intake spray? If its a dump in the tank cleaner, the intake valves will never see it on a di engine. I would spray the intake with the engine cold then turn it over a few times to get the valves wet that way.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Tegger
Originally Posted By: nicholas
I see a lot of acetone = 60-100%??????

The MSDS also says...
"7.19 % of the mixture consists of components(s) of unknown hazards to the aquatic environment."

So don't use this stuff to clean your fish; it's unknown what might happen to them.

I'm assuming that this warning comes from potential use in marine GDI engines.

Also why "marine" engine coolants tend to be propylene glycol instead of ethylene glycol. PG isn't nearly as toxic if its gets out.

Originally Posted By: john_pifer
This is interesting.

I have a 2016 WRX on the way (DI, turbo) and I came to this forum to look and see if I could find data on what the cleanest fuel is (if, in fact, one is cleaner than the next).

So, with DI, how would this product work? If it goes in the gas tank, how would it reach the back faces of the valves?

There are many products already on the market designed to be sprayed into the intake system to clean valves. I know Ford has gone on record saying NOT to use them on Ecoboost engines as they can damage the turbo chargers. So I would caution you on the WRX.

There worst thing you can do to these TGDI engines is to drive them with a light foot or short trip them. This of course means you won't get the EPA mileage but who buys a turbocharged vehicle to get good mileage? Drive them with a heavy foot, bring them up to full operating temperature, and on occasion give them a "Italian Tune-up". I'm sure that won't be a problem for you with a WRX.

Originally Posted By: BikeWhisperer
Drive them with a heavy foot, bring them up to full operating temperature, and on occasion give them a "Italian Tune-up". I'm sure that won't be a problem for you with a WRX.

Truth.

There are many products already on the market designed to be sprayed into the intake system to clean valves. I know Ford has gone on record saying NOT to use them on Ecoboost engines as they can damage the turbo chargers.

I'm guessing, but this might be because they might work, rather than because the treatment itself is damaging.

Anything effective on HEAVY deposits might detach chunks of hard carbon, which could go through the engine and damage the impeller blades on the way through the exhaust.

So you need something that removes heavy deposits, but does it GENTLY.

Seems a bit tricky to achieve, but a technique primarily reliant on thermal shock, like, say, water, seems to be especially contra-indicated for turbos.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ducked

There are many products already on the market designed to be sprayed into the intake system to clean valves. I know Ford has gone on record saying NOT to use them on Ecoboost engines as they can damage the turbo chargers.

I'm guessing, but this might be because they might work, rather than because the treatment itself is damaging.

Anything effective on HEAVY deposits might detach chunks of hard carbon, which could go through the engine and damage the impeller blades on the way through the exhaust.

So you need something that removes heavy deposits, but does it GENTLY.

Seems a bit tricky to achieve, but a technique primarily reliant on thermal shock, like, say, water, seems to be especially contra-indicated for turbos.

Actually what I've read is that the chemicals cause a reaction that increases heat on the turbo chargers which could (emphasize could since I haven't actually read about any documented failures) damage the turbos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back