Liqui Moly vs German Castrol question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Finn,

Originally Posted By: Finn

Have you considered buying from Germany? Two sources I have used are:

Thanks for the detailed links and the information regarding delivery. In fact I do order oils exclusively from Germany, however neither of the shops mentioned in your reply sell Castrol in 5W-30/5W-40 viscosity with A3/B4 specification.

Last edited:
weasley,

Originally Posted By: weasley
Originally Posted By: volodymyr
I envy you a lot. In Europe I cannot buy 5W-30 or 5W-40 Edge A3/B4. I can find Magnatec, but not the Edge. And I want the Edge
smile.gif

Take a look around Europe!

Thanks. I might consider it after all. But I would like to find 5W-30 instead of 5W-40
smile.gif

Sorry, that was too good to be true - to avoid confusion perhaps moderator could delete my post?

weasley,

That web page is wrong. You can't have ACEA A3/B3/B4 and C3 together and Castrol don't claim it.

I think you can combine ACEA A3/B4 for 2004 year with the modern ACEA C3 spec. However I am searching of course for the latest A3/B4 spec. Usually when I see A3/B4/C3 I do not treat the oil seriously
smile.gif
A quick check if oil carries MB 229.5 spec clears out the confusion very fast.

Last edited:
The main difference between A3B4-12 vs C3-12 typically are :

a ) TBN =/> 10.0 vs 6.0 ;

b ) Sulfated Ash 1.0-1.6 % vs 0.8 % and below;

c ) Sulphur report vs
d ) Phosphorous report vs 0.070 to 0.090%

Originally Posted By: volodymyr
weasley,

That web page is wrong. You can't have ACEA A3/B3/B4 and C3 together and Castrol don't claim it.

I think you can combine ACEA A3/B4 for 2004 year with the modern ACEA C3 spec.

Yes, you used to be able to combine the specs, but they eliminated this in the 2010 update when they introduced a minimum ash for A3/B3 (0.9 min) and A3/B4 (1.0 min). Since the maximum ash allowed for C3 is 0.8 there is no way to overlap them. And you are not allowed to claim obsolete ACEA specs. And that Castrol product is from after the ash constraints were introduced, so for whatever reason that website page has been written incorrectly using data from.... who knows where?!

FYI latest ACEA specs, direct from the source.

Last edited:
weasley,

And you are not allowed to claim obsolete ACEA specs.

Yet this is not enforced by ACEA, and I think that Liqui Moly still claims the obsolete specs in some of their oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back