Need Opinion/Evaluation

Status
Not open for further replies.
The car in question is a 2011 BMW 335D w/the M57 diesel. It's now at 101k on the clock and has been running with high fuel dilution probably since day 1, but at least for as long as I've owned it - about half it's life, or the past 4 years. New injectors were installed 2 years ago and it runs great, always has. But a long-term fuel dilution issue has me confounded:
bitog-335D_UOA.png

That's with only 2k miles on the last BMW-provided fill before it went out of warranty. It's been running 5w/30 Castrol LL04 (BMW stock low saps) it's whole life AFAIK. The previous report 6 months ago was at 6%. Prior to that I started doing partial changes in between the BMW-mandated 13k OCI's after I discovered the fuel dilution issue at around 70k. I'm starting to think this engine just lives happily in a high fuel dilution state, for whatever reason. Why don't I see higher wear metal numbers indicating accelerated wear?
confused.gif

Don't know the thermostat setting, and my wife drove it the first 2 years we had it, so driving habits are unlikely to explain it. I can say that I've been "taking it easy" (whatever that means) since the last oil change, to see if it made any difference, which it obviously did not.

Originally Posted By: Uber_Archetype
Don't know the thermostat setting, and my wife drove it the first 2 years we had it, so driving habits are unlikely to explain it. I can say that I've been "taking it easy" (whatever that means) since the last oil change, to see if it made any difference, which it obviously did not.

Do you do short trips <5 miles and is the engine actually coming up to operating temperature or running cold?

Does your oil level increase by itself & look black & watery quickly? I'm not familiar with the Beemer diesels, but this still sounds like a leaking fuel injector-did your new ones have any warranty?

Pretty sure you have an active EGR and DPF.

Could the EGR possibly cycling too much or being sticky.

Or just how this model runs.

Does this model require 229.51?

90% Highway, not making oil, no EGR. Well, EGR deleted. I just don't get how it can run years and over 100k miles with that much fuel dilution and show no abnormal wear. That thought had me scratching my head when the first oil report came back on it almost 3 years ago. This is the 4th test and they all came back pretty much the same with varying levels of high fuel dilution and that's it.

At one point I suspected the injection pump seal, but like I said, over 50k miles I've had the car and nothing's changed. A bad pump shaft seal would have gone out completely by now.

Last edited:
Does it run, on average, for how many minutes/miles? Does it get on road trips for more than 30 minutes, at least once a week?

I figured all modern Euro diesels will approve and or recommend 229X spec oil- maybe it is just benz.

Is the EGR "delete" mechanical removal or electronic shut off ?

and when did it go in?

Jus curious....

Originally Posted By: UncleDave

and when did it go in?

Completely physically removed, including the cooler for the past 2 years.

and when did it go in?

Well HMMM out of rabbits and down to felt...

Maybe its just a leaker..

and when did it go in?

If you still have the DPF installed then it's most likely from regens. Does this have the scr as well, add blue. With the scr and dpf oil dilution should be better. Only way to fix this permanately is to delete the DPF.

Originally Posted By: A310

and when did it go in?

If you still have the DPF installed then it's most likely from regens. Does this have the scr as well, add blue. With the scr and dpf oil dilution should be better. Only way to fix this permanately is to delete the DPF.

Probably.

I would think if he had a bunch of failed regens hed get an "insp" light on the dash, but maybe the EGR delete tripped something else somewhere.

Originally Posted By: A310

and when did it go in?

Probably.

I would think if he had a bunch of failed regens hed get an "insp" light on the dash, but maybe the EGR delete tripped something else somewhere.

Not sure about the EGR delete on the BMW, but I know that for most you need a tuner to turn off the egr valve and then you can remover egr without throwing a code. I didn't mention in the earlier response, but the DPF does have a life cycle of so many miles and regens, then it either needs to be replaced or taken off and baked in an oven. If you don't have a tuner installed to monitor regens it's hard to know when they start and when they finish. I installed a tuner on my wifes OM642 to monitor codes and regens. It too has the problem of oil dilution and I have to take it on highway trips to fully clean out the dpf or it is always trying to regen. I haven't done an oil analysis on this engine, but have already drained a ltr of oil out of it as it's gained that much in 10000 km's. The only solution I can find is to delete the DPF, or just change the oil every 10000 km's. I'm looking at getting an Auto Enginuity software to do manual regens in the future should we keep this car. Anyway that's the future of these new diesels and the emissions that are put on them. For my truck (2009 6.4 ltr) I decided to delete the Cat/DPF/EGR and never looked back. The truck runs really well and very good fuel economy and the oil doesn't have to be changed all the time. Fuel economy went from 11-13 mpg to 18-20 mpg after the delete, and no more smoky regens every 300 miles.

I would love to pull all that stuff from my OM 642. California is just too strict.

I think you are right in your assessment - its the regen cycle pushing fuel into the oil.

Agree, it's got to be the DPF regen that's doing it. But it still doesn't make sense how the engine doesn't wear faster. Could BMW have developed some super-secret ring and bearing formula to offset the problem? Dunno. I have plans to eliminate the DPF/SCR systems in the near future - just biding my time with the old "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mantra. I'll continue doing partial changes with the dipstick sucker until it's time to send the DDE off for re-programming and tearing the exhaust apart. Thanks a bunch EPA.

And thanks for your inputs, guys!
smile.gif

Lots of may and could have here - just speculation....

I suspect If I did a UOI on my Sprinter I'd find a good bit of fuel dilution nearing the end of the cycle. At 26K miles I havent bothered yet.

I also suspect that the deletion of the EGR cools everything down a bunch to where some of that fuel might have burned off

follow on being your DPF inst really burning off much in cruise as it would normally would - and calling for regens more often than normal.

Even though the extra fuel doesnt seem to be killing the bearings (diesel has much more lubricity than gas) your DPF may be clogging up a bit faster and that you may ultimately find it has a shorter life.

Lots of if and mays and could haves here - just speculation....

I might even have it backwards....

Dave

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back