Fram Ultra XG-2 On 04 Mercury Grand Marquis ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
My neighbor bought a Fram Ultra xg-2 on my recommendation for his 04 Mercury Grand Marquis with the 4.6 instead of the Motorcraft 820-s but the Fram XG2 is a little longer than the Motorcraft oil filter and there is such little room to get the oil filter in. Does anyone else use a Fram Ultra xg-2 on their Mercury Grand Marquis?
He says he can't fit the filter in which i think he just did not know how to maneuver the filter.. I will do it for him in the morning. I was curious if anyone else had this problem and maybe its wise for him to use the shorter 829-s Motorcraft filter.

I remember that the Motorcrafts were a little longer i don't remember why they changed that.
I do remember using the group 7 filters which were made by purolator whenever we did the 4.6 with no problems.. I do know there is very little room on those cars because when i do my Moms 05 Mercury Grand Marquis on the ground at her house it is a tight fit with the 820-s.
I thought the Police interceptors had more room under there but i may be mistaken.

Doesn't this car have a wiring pigtail that has to be disconnected to get the filter off? Maybe he's trying to finagle it without unhooking the wire?

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
I remember that the Motorcrafts were a little longer i don't remember why they changed that.
I do remember using the group 7 filters which were made by purolator whenever we did the 4.6 with no problems.. I do know there is very little room on those cars because when i do my Moms 05 Mercury Grand Marquis on the ground at her house it is a tight fit with the 820-s.
I thought the Police interceptors had more room under there but i may be mistaken.

My '04 wasn't an Interceptor. The XG is totally doable. I'd show you with my '04, but, the frame is about 1" closer to the filter than when it left the factory so, I don't know that I could get it off, lol.

Originally Posted By: Ethan1
Doesn't this car have a wiring pigtail that has to be disconnected to get the filter off? Maybe he's trying to finagle it without unhooking the wire?

Well, theres a harness that goes to the oil pressure sensor and to the EVO valve on the steering rack for variable steering, but, Ive never had to remove it and Ive changed more than a few 03+ Panthers.

I am not sure i will look at it tomorrow ..My Moms 05 MGM is tight but i don't have to disconnect anything.. I am thinking of using the ultra on hers also.

My neighbor is a great Accountant and a good neighbor but not to handy doing much else he was just trying to save money because he is probably down to his last million or two...lol

You kind of have to go straight up with the filter and once you get behind the coolant hose and above the rack, you can turn it to face the engine and screw it on.

The Fram XG-2 is a 1/4" or so taller than the MC filter. I've used them both and never even realized there's a difference in height. No problem in my 4.6L but I have a FWD Lincoln which could be different. It's a bit tight in there with the protective flap. Still, the only problem I ever have is getting the old one off by hand (no room for a wrench) and then trying to thread a new one on by feel.

Last edited:
I have 3 vehicles that take the XG2/FL-820S size & I've never noticed any difference in length or anything else & I've never had trouble fitting either. Definitely check this one out for yourself, it doesn't sound right to me.

Ok just got finished helping my neighbor putting on the ultra xg-2 it was as easy as it is with the shorter Motorcraft 820-s it was a tight fit but it went in like all the others.
I think this is the reason why the Motorcraft filters were shortened a couple of years back. It just makes it a little easier to move the filter around.
He said it took him about a half hour to remove the old filter after unscrewing it.. I showed him how to do it a little easier for the next time but i think this is his last time there was oil everywhere...lol

As a former Oil Technician, I can assure you, there are far worse cars than Panthers to change oil on. I actually find them quite easy.
The 1992-2002 cars are harder, due to the steering linkage is in the way of the filter. However, if you crank the wheel all the way left, it moves the linkages out of the way.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
As a former Oil Technician, I can assure you, there are far worse cars than Panthers to change oil on. I actually find them quite easy.
The 1992-2002 cars are harder, due to the steering linkage is in the way of the filter. However, if you crank the wheel all the way left, it moves the linkages out of the way.

Exactly. I never thought my MGM was that hard to change the oil, as a matter of fact I've always considered it fairly easy. It took someone half an hour to remove the filter? It takes me less than half an hour to do the whole thing and I'm an old man.

My friend's 93 Town Car is hard unless as you stated, you turn the wheel. Even then, not that bad.

Last edited:
It took him that long because he is totally no good mechanically but he tries his best..
Im just happy it was the oil filter he was trying to take off and im sure he did not know which way to turn it or how to work the wrench

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back