Need new chain, what size?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kestas

Staff member
I'm rebuilding my bicycle, and realize it needs a new chain. I checked the stretch and it's about 3/16" play over 12 inches. I understand anything above 1/8" play is toast.

I like to buy online. My question is, are there different sizes that I need to pay attention to? Or are most older 10-speeds the same size chain? I don't want to end up with something that doesn't fit.

The bike is a 38 years old Raleigh Rampar, with I don't know how many thousands of miles on it. The chain is 58-1/2" long with 117 links, stamped D.I.D. on each link.

most all OLD 10 speed chains are the same size, 1/2 by 3/32, they do vary by number of links. This assumes you have a 5 speed rear derailleur. You do have to careful because the latest trend is 10 speed rear derailleur, no front deraillur and ultra narrow chains. you do not want that expensive chain. So, they call the chain size you need a 5 speed chain.

Now running a worn chain that long has probably worn the rear cassette, the group of 5 sprockets to where they need replaced. There are many kinds.

The old hub will have old grease, so removing the parts and cleaning and applying fresh grease is well worth it. A special tool will be needed. There is a wonderful bike related resource called park tool, spending time on that that web site will teach you a lot.

Good luck, and enjoy your addiction.

Rod

Rod

Chains in boxes will be long enough (most are 116 links), for old 10 speeds (5 speed gear cluster) anything that says it is for 7 speed will work. 8 and 9 speed might but to be safe stick with the 7 speed or below.

KMC makes the best/cheapest chains and include a masterlink.

As mentioned above, allowing the chain to go to 3/16" stretch may have worn the gears front and rear to a point where they will also need replacing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back