autozone says stp filters catch 4x smaller?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive been doing some research into stp oil filters. I have one and never used it, yet...Autozone sells them for $4. The box says 95% efficient, but with no microns. Iwas just looking at autozones webstie, and it says, in description, before reviews, catches up too 4x smaller than what the human eye can see. Thats around 40 microns.
At autozone, it is on the shelf, next too the fram extraguards. Those are rated at 95% @ 20 microns. What microns, do stp filters micron at and down too>? napa golds are 37 microns, fram orange cans 20 microns, napa pro selects 30-40 microns, purolator and pureone, 40 microns. i say 40 micorns on the purolators, because i use the smaller filters, PL 14476/77. the boxes say 40 microns....which is not terrific filtering at all.
what microns, for stp oil filters?

too me, 4 times smaller, would seem too put it on par with frams extraguards. I do know fram tests with 5-10 microns.

Make sure they compare apples with apples. A lot of the time they rate the huge FL1A size.

Yeah, i bought one 2 years ago,never used it but have an itch too want too, use it. its a S4967 size filter. It is an e core.
What microns, is it rated for?

I think I got one years ago when it free with an oil special. If you search the old threads, it didn't have that good of a rep. But I wasn't too worried about it, just changed the oil in a little under 5k and the engine didn't blow up. Just picked up one of those Purolators for $1.50 at Walmart.

im not sure but gm uses the e core design and they seem to be ok.. I was at an engine seminar a while back and one of the GM reps said they went with the e core for better flow but i always thought they did it to save money. Who knows..

ah,better flow.That usualy means they sacrificed filtration for flow.
Well, if anyone here had too guess, what is the micron efficiency rating for the filter in question? stp S 4967?

LOL haha could be nate lol. Well since its next too the fram extarguards,ratedat 95% at 20 microns, would itbe the samefor the s 4967 filter?

If you're worried about efficiency, go buy a filter that has a known efficiency with a micron size associated with it. Otherwise, it's all just a guess.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
im not sure but gm uses the e core design and they seem to be ok.. I was at an engine seminar a while back and one of the GM reps said they went with the e core for better flow but i always thought they did it to save money. Who knows..

Given the steadily shrinking size of GM filters by application, I'd say that flow is not their top priority.

exactly donald! thats what im getting at. 95% is meaningless, without more information. At least purolator, for my application, says on the box, iso testing and microns, which is 40 at 96.5%, and fram, on website, says all thier filters areb tested between 5 and 20 microns, extraguard 95%, tough guard 99%, ultra 99.9%. Bosch distance plus says 40 microns at 99%. stp just says 95%. seems too just be a marketing ploy. I do know, alot of thier stuff is pretty much [censored]....except maybe thier black bottle complete fuel system cleaner, and if car is onlast legs, the blue bottle oil thickener. think thier only good item, is the synthetic oil treatment. so makes me wonder if at all, the stp filter is good as a fram, or just worth my 6 month 4 000 miles oil flush..i like too use fresh oil with new filter, then drain, then refill with new filter and oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back