Pennzoil Platinum and Ultra- not so great

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Capa
Originally Posted By: volk06
Heres PP's new TDS

http://www.epc.shell.com/Docs/GPCDOC_X_cbe_24855_key_140003633144_201008270057.pdf

I didn't realize that PP had a 0W-20. Is this correct?

It's correct. I believe Pennzoil stated in a thread here(shared with us by another member) that either Ultra or Platinum 0w-20 was available, but has to be requested by the parts stores, etc. and isn't in as high demand as 5w-20.

I've seen it in both Canadian Tire and Walmart in my neighborhood.

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
Heres PP's new TDS

http://www.epc.shell.com/Docs/GPCDOC_X_cbe_24855_key_140003633144_201008270057.pdf

It's correct. I believe Pennzoil stated in a thread here(shared with us by another member) that either Ultra or Platinum 0w-20 was available, but has to be requested by the parts stores, etc. and isn't in as high demand as 5w-20.

Thanks. I've never seen it and so wondering if it was a mistake or a soon to be released product.

Originally Posted By: JAG
look at those NOACK Values!! 5w-30 at 6.4! Better than redline even... I hope those numbers are right!

Wow, if the Ultra data are correct they are now using some really different, low volatility base oils. Volatility seems so low to be hard to believe. The HTHS viscosity is high relative to the kinematic viscosity at 100C for 10W-30. Ratio of KV@100C to HTHS is low at 3.18, which means the oil should undergo little temporary shear and probably permanent shear. Compare this to M1 10W-30's ratio of 3.37. Another interesting thing is the low -51C pour point for all Ultra grades. M1 10W-30's pour point is -42C. CCS and MRV are what matter but Mobil did not provide those data for M1 10W-30.

I don't believe it.
Are they measuring at 250C or 150C?

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Originally Posted By: JAG
look at those NOACK Values!! 5w-30 at 6.4! Better than redline even... I hope those numbers are right!

Wow, if the Ultra data are correct they are now using some really different, low volatility base oils. Volatility seems so low to be hard to believe. The HTHS viscosity is high relative to the kinematic viscosity at 100C for 10W-30. Ratio of KV@100C to HTHS is low at 3.18, which means the oil should undergo little temporary shear and probably permanent shear. Compare this to M1 10W-30's ratio of 3.37. Another interesting thing is the low -51C pour point for all Ultra grades. M1 10W-30's pour point is -42C. CCS and MRV are what matter but Mobil did not provide those data for M1 10W-30.

I don't believe it.
Are they measuring at 250C or 150C?

ASTM D5800 only uses 250C from what I read. It is hard to believe the data sheet's volatility. Someone should ask them about it.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Pennzoil has gottern really 'sloppy' with their websites, and corresponding documents - see the Pennzoil site being incomplete, the errors Tom pointed out...this isn't new.

I'm thinking this is just an issue of not updated documents.

Makes you wonder if they outsourced this function to some far away land

Originally Posted By: ottotheclown
WOW this is some thread !!I havent had this much fun since Grandma fell out of the hearse!!

Was Grandma on Jacka__?

Noack of SN Ultra looks so good you swear it has to be a typo lol cant wait to find some of that 5w20 SN now!!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: vinu_neuro
0W/5W-20 are A1/B1 because of the >= 2.9cst HTHS requirement for A5/B5, Amsoil might want to stop claiming A5/B5 on their 0W-20 page

Amsoil is taking down A5/B5 from the 0W-20. Thanks.

Not that it really matters but funny how times change.

Now, PP and PUP are some of the only readily available 30 weight oils that meet A5/B5.

I couldn't let this thread die this way.

Excellent night time reading. Going to run downstairs and see if A5/B5 are on my various bottles.

Originally Posted By: jdavis
Now, PP and PUP are some of the only readily available 30 weight oils that meet A5/B5.

I do note that Shell is not as rigorous, shall we say, with respect to labelling as Castrol might be, in that regard. I wonder if there was no issues with the B5 side of things, unlike the competition, or the labelling was simply left alone because no one in North America really cares.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: jdavis

I do note that Shell is not as rigorous, shall we say, with respect to labelling as Castrol might be, in that regard. I wonder if there was no issues with the B5 side of things, unlike the competition, or the labelling was simply left alone because no one in North America really cares.
wink.gif

I've wondered the same thing but also how GTL relates to A5/B5 (if it does)..

I have a brochure from Gina & the Pennzoil team when they sent me my oil sample kit. Pennzoil Ultra 5w30 carries every spec out there it seems on there chart -- including Ferrari!!

Garak, looking at the chart more into detail its the Pennzoil Platinum Racing 10W60 that carries the Ferrari & Maserati & Volkswagen. My bad for not clarifying from my earlier post. Also Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W40 carries the Ferrari spec.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back