Hoping the neighbor was not too cheap....

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my neighbor down the street picked up a nice looking 2005 Sunfire with around 130k for a pretty good price. He is in high school, and looking to finish his senior year to take this thing to college.

The reason I say this is because they are updating it...needs a few things! They started with some of the right things, like a everstart max battery and some General rt43 tires (asked me here
smile.gif
) But then they ordered some some struts for the car off of amazon...some detroit axle branded ones...like 200ish bucks for the whole set. My first thought was another brand like sensen or unity which won't last very long. But they seem to think this brand should be as good as the monroes...

My neighbor wants me to see them when he gets them before he puts them on the car and get my thoughts( maybe even give him a hand) That being said, it sounds like they are only expecting a few years out of the car, hence not buying the best of everything.

I kinda want to tell him to send it back, but who knows-they might be better than I thought. If it were you-would you tell him to ship it back and get something better, or do you think he should get2-3 solid years (maybe 30k tops) out of these DA ones?

Always fun when you are the car guru of the neighborhood.....

Have him run the cheap struts. They'll probably be better than old worn out ones. They'll last long enough.

What's the reason for the struts? I'd be most concerned with the ride being stiff than anything else.

Look for low mileage OEM take offs. But make sure the old ones are actually bad first. I have a 98 Cavalier with 276,000 miles and the original front struts are still working great, the car handles like a go kart. The rears failed a few year ago, I got a pair out of a newer wreck with low mileage, $40. Best to be smart with his money, in a car like that he'll never get it back out of it.

Detroit Axle rocks; I used them for a hub/bearing for my olds silhouette that was half the price of anyone else.

I have used some Detroit Axle bearings and so far, have had zero issues with their quality of parts. They are very competitive on their prices.

BurrWinder

I'm not a fan of Detroit Axel struts...

I would strongly suggest they go the route of Monroe quick struts. Strut mounts cause as many if not more issues than struts themselves and the labor savings with a quick strut makes up for the new cost.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
What's the reason for the struts? I'd be most concerned with the ride being stiff than anything else.

+1 Personally unless they are leaking or causing more serious issues I would have skipped the struts/shocks and put the money into a good tuneup (plugs/wires/02 sensors) and possibly brakes depending on how they look. Sounds like he has a solid car but this is a perfect "drive it till it dies" sorta situation.

Originally Posted By: dishdude

Car bounces when you push it down....they are pretty much toast..the current set on is raybestos branded....

Originally Posted By: Gasbuggy
Look for low mileage OEM take offs. But make sure the old ones are actually bad first. I have a 98 Cavalier with 276,000 miles and the original front struts are still working great, the car handles like a go kart. The rears failed a few year ago, I got a pair out of a newer wreck with low mileage, $40. Best to be smart with his money, in a car like that he'll never get it back out of it.

Not many low mileage around here....J bodies tend to get used up here....

came close to buying detroit axle ball joints, the picture i saw looked like pretty crude workmanship and passed.

Originally Posted By: Doublehaul
Fwiw I wouldn't do struts based on a "bounce" test. Wait until they start to bang or you have noise from the mount/bearing plate. Ymmv

Well, bounce testing the struts on my wife's old cavalier pretty much tell me they are toast. When driving, you can just feel it. Can't say much though, as the raybestos professional struts on her car have survived 60k hard michigan roads miles.

In my case, I do not plan on avoiding the "cheapie" brands, even though the car is getting up there in age. It's going to be whatever the the big brands I can get cheapest (Monroe, KYB, maybe MOOG)

The car drives on some pretty tough roads, cheap stuff won't last long. Might last longer for them though....

Update: The DA struts came in-and have to been the worst looking struts I've seen...they really looked cheap! (one rattled pretty bad)

Family sent those back in a hurry and ordered a set on monroes instead....

A real case of getting what you were paying for!

Hello Dave, we bought our son a 2005 Sunfire from a small dealer in Jenison on Chicago Drive with 50,000 miles on it 3 years ago. It has been a decent car. Our son is in his second year at MSU, and we are hoping it will last at least 2 more without major repairs.

I put Monroe sensatrac struts and shocks on my 92 Cavalier back in 2011 and they feel like they are shot now. One of the rear shocks makes a banging sound anytime you go over rough roads and it has been doing that for a few years now.

I'm not impressed with these Monroe products and they are supposed to be some of the best in the Monroe line.

Wayne

Originally Posted By: wtd
I put Monroe sensatrac struts and shocks on my 92 Cavalier back in 2011 and they feel like they are shot now. One of the rear shocks makes a banging sound anytime you go over rough roads and it has been doing that for a few years now.

I'm not impressed with these Monroe products and they are supposed to be some of the best in the Monroe line.

Wayne

http://www.monroe.com/en-US/support/Safe-and-Sound-Guarantee/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back