Capitol Tires?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I tend to be up on tires, but on these-not so much.

A co worker of mine bought some Capitol Sports for his beater Breeze on tirebuyer.com. Kinda surprised me, since the guy loves Falkens. Anyways, he told me that these, along with Nexen tires (now these I know about) are really good sport handling budget tires. He says that thhet are made by either BF Goodrich or sumitomio. After doing a bit of research on them myself did not turn up a thing.

I wanted to tell him they are junk tires, but after lookng at them, they actually look pretty decent, almost like the Sumi HTR 4s I have on my Cobalt. So, are they actually decent tires, or can I laugh at him in a few months?

I'm a firm believer in you get what you pay for. I put some cheap Beijing Capitol Tires (BCT) on my wife's Pilot a few years ago because they were cheap. They were fine for a few months, and then 2 of them went out of round. You could spin them on the balance machine and feel the flat spots on them.

I also had some Nexen's on my old Civic Si, and one of the got a huge bubble in the side wall from just normal driving. I didn't hit anything to cause it.

I now try to stay with brand names and some type of warranty. Just my $0.02!

They may harden up after a year or so, or start cupping or otherwise wearing badly. If you closely examine the tread pattern, you may also find a lot of low-depth siping, so wet traction may go away.

Here's a related link from a Honda forum about these tires.

From the discussion, "Capital tires are made in China by Beijing Capital Tire Co., Ltd"

BCT? That figures...so judging by the potholes here, it looks like I will be laughing soon...

Besides, I much rather have a cheap Michelin tire (aka Uniroyal) on my car over those....

I know Michelin owm Uniroyal, and I fondly remember Uniroyal Rally 240s from 20 years ago, but I wonder if todays Uniroyal are actually the same as Michelins and are fairly cheap. Thoughts?

Originally Posted By: bmwjohn
I know Michelin owm Uniroyal, and I fondly remember Uniroyal Rally 240s from 20 years ago, but I wonder if todays Uniroyal are actually the same as Michelins and are fairly cheap. Thoughts?

Some are pretty close..

The Tiger Paw AWPs are pretty close to BFG's Touring TAs...which trickled down from michelin tires..

Originally Posted By: Barkleymut
You can laugh at him now, he drives a Breeze

lol
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
So, are they actually decent tires, or can I laugh at him in a few months?

As a driver who owns a performance crossover or a sports car that needs ultra-high performance tires, this manufacturer is your best fit. Their official website: capitol tires

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Barkleymut
"or can I laugh at him in a few months?"

Hey! My Dad drove a Breeze. It was his company car in the 90's...

Originally Posted By: bmwjohn
I know Michelin owns Uniroyal, and I fondly remember Uniroyal Rally 240s from 20 years ago, but I wonder if today's Uniroyal are actually the same as Michelins and are fairly cheap. Thoughts?

You may want to be careful here! In Europe, the Uniroyal brand is owned by Continental - and if I remember correctly, the "Rallye" series was a European designation.

And I can confirm that even the US versions of Uniroyal tires are NOT like the Michelin brand versions. Michelin does some things to their Michelin brand tires that can not be duplicated in the former Uniroyal and Goodrich plants.

Do people who come on here and say "I bought" or my "buddy bought" Chinese tires enjoy being abused? That's the only reason I can think of to post this stuff on BITOG.

If you look at the DOT number the first two digits will be the factory code. That will tell you exactly where they were made and who made them.

I bought a used Neon (I know,I know)and the dealer put brand new Capital tires on the car. OK brand new cheap tires lets just run them till they need replacing.This was in September and they wore well and did pretty good in the Colorado snow and ice.
Then came summer and they were looking pretty good. i drive a lot on the highway and the high temperature of the roads combined with high speed just melted the tread off.At 15K miles and looking at another winter I replaced them with a real set of tires.

Originally Posted By: marine65
I bought a used Neon (I know,I know)and the dealer put brand new Capital tires on the car. OK brand new cheap tires lets just run them till they need replacing.This was in September and they wore well and did pretty good in the Colorado snow and ice.
Then came summer and they were looking pretty good. i drive a lot on the highway and the high temperature of the roads combined with high speed just melted the tread off.At 15K miles and looking at another winter I replaced them with a real set of tires.

Truth be told those little cars lasted forever. I had a girlfriend in highschool who legit ran her car without oil for a month and after I fixed the issue continued to run for almost 260k.

Originally Posted By: Bgallagher

Truth be told those little cars lasted forever. I had a girlfriend in highschool who legit ran her car without oil for a month and after I fixed the issue continued to run for almost 260k.

Automatic transmission went totally bad at 120K miles.Got rid of it.
I should have known better. I had a few Dodge mini vans that did the same thing.
Never again will I buy anything by Chrysler. And VW, had few of those turds too.
I'm now Asian cars only.

Automatic transmission went totally bad at 120K miles.Got rid of it.
I should have known better. I had a few Dodge mini vans that did the same thing.
Never again will I buy anything by Chrysler. And VW, had few of those turds too.
I'm now Asian cars only.

I'm in agreement, though if we're talking transmissions the Honda Odyssey had bad A/Ts too in the 2000s. There was even a special website and class action lawsuit.

As for the original thread, mainly what I wanted to add was that Capitol (with an o) Tire are made by Nexen, while Beijing Capital (with an a) had some bad recalls and also went bankrupt recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back