4-cylinder vs 6-cylinder engine on new highlander?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Among other like SUVs (If you read my other posts), We’re looking at the Toyota Highland LE. I am worried about the 4-cylinder engine. Moving up to the LE plus with the 6-cylinder engine is a little bit out of our price range (Paying cash). My concern is if the 4-cylinder engine can really handle the Highlander. I’m worried that it can’t, putting added strain on the engine, thus reducing its life (I like to own my vehicles for a long, long time.).

Thoughts?

Originally Posted By: powayroger
Among other like SUVs (If you read my other posts), We’re looking at the Toyota Highland LE. I am worried about the 4-cylinder engine. Moving up to the LE plus with the 6-cylinder engine is a little bit out of our price range (Paying cash). My concern is if the 4-cylinder engine can really handle the Highlander. I’m worried that it can’t, putting added strain on the engine, thus reducing its life (I like to own my vehicles for a long, long time.).

Thoughts?

I don't have any experience not having owned an SUV or truck ever but I will say that even some V6s are slow or lets just say tepid. Until I found the Motorcraft oil, I had serious buyer's remorse over my prev DD's purchase, the 2006 Accord V6 (See sig). That's when Motorcraft oil rescued me, namely the 5w-20 I used for the life of the vehicle after the first 20k of using nothing but dino (Mobil Drive clean 5k and then the 7500). This Sc I use as the current daily is only decent in ECT mode and is a slug in normal mode. I just like the reliability and the go anywhere feeling.

Last edited:
A Toyota 4 cylinder will last for a long, long time. I wouldn't worry about longevity. If you can live with the accelleration, go for the 4 cylinder. If I had to pick an engine to trust to, say, run a hospital in which people would die if it quit running, it would be a Toyota 4 cylinder. In fact, when they first came out with a V6 in the 1990s, it was much more prone to failure than their 4 cylinder, though I'm sure the V6 is great by now too.

Wow, first they drop the V6 from the Rav4, now this. Get the V6, atleast for the sake of resale value.

I'd say that even if you had to borrow a few grand to do it, get the V6. Do it right or don't do it at all.

Originally Posted By: Oscar_Ruitt
A Toyota 4 cylinder will last for a long, long time. I wouldn't worry about longevity. If you can live with the accelleration, go for the 4 cylinder. If I had to pick an engine to trust to, say, run a hospital in which people would die if it quit running, it would be a Toyota 4 cylinder. In fact, when they first came out with a V6 in the 1990s, it was much more prone to failure than their 4 cylinder, though I'm sure the V6 is great by now too.

Interesting you say that. Most hospitals use either a Detroit Diesel, CAT, or Cummins diesel for theirs. The one I used to work at had a 24V92 (apparently fairly rare) and a 16V71 for backup generators. I only got to hear them running once, but I went outside and it was an impressive noise for sure.

Uh, on topic, I don't think the OP needs to worry. The 4 cylinder will last just as long as the 6 cylinder, at least as far as accounting for "strain" goes. If you are happy with the acceleration it has, go for it without worry.

I would say that Toyota 4 cyls, overall, have a reputation of out-lasting their 6 cyl engines.

I had a 4cyl 22R go 500k miles without major issues, not too many 6's last that long.

The number of cylinders really doesn't matter, an optimised gear set will bring any car alive.

Common problem is people go after power&torque instead of looking at the area under the torque curve.

The 2GR-FE is a great motor and is the proper motor for that size of vehicle. You'll find the 4-cyl to be quite underpowered in that application. Plus, the 2GR-FE is a very common motor across Toyota's entire line-up -- so parts availability is going to be better and more people will be familiar with how to work on it.

I would definitely get the V6.

Last edited:
We personally own a 2004 Highlander with a 3.3L V6. My mother just hit 285K miles and it has only required oil, new tires and one catalytic converter since we purchased it new 12 years ago. The V6 has the power and reliability you expect from Toyota. My vote +1 V6!!

Just have your passengers and cargo jump out and push when climbing freeway and mountain hills.

How many people do you drive around on average? Also you anyone else on lighter side or have some weight.

In real world mpg you'll likely find the 6 to get better mpg since it barely works instead of excessive shifting/revving. Lastly noise is rather annoying with 4 cylinder engines working hard.

Believe it or not, I'm betting the 2.7 is a longer lasting engine. It's a truck engine. Toyota four cylinder truck engines are known to last forever. Some vehicles with the V6 option actually seem slower when driving normal in stop and go traffic because the transmission 's torque convertor stall speed is lower, the gearing sucks and electronically controlled to eek out the best possible MPG. But the V6 is better when merging on the freeway.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Believe it or not, I'm betting the 2.7 is a longer lasting engine. It's a truck engine. Toyota four cylinder truck engines are known to last forever. Some vehicles with the V6 option actually seem slower when driving normal in stop and go traffic because the transmission 's torque convertor stall speed is lower, the gearing sucks and electronically controlled to eek out the best possible MPG. But the V6 is better when merging on the freeway.

2.7 has no problem hauling around the tacoma ... With the 6 speed auto, it should be adequate to haul itself around

I would get the 4 cylinder unless you plan on towing.

Get the 6. The first time you use the truck as a pickup you'll be happy you have the 6 cylinder engine.

Japanese 4 cyl engines definitely seem to last forever. In my experience,Japan makes the best 4cyl and the US makes the best V8.

How will you be using this vehicle? Is AWD only available in the V6 trim? Not sure of how much importance that is for you.

I agree with most of the others that are saying get the V6. As for "strain" the 4 cylinder can handle it, but your driving experience will not be the same, especially if you have a large load. For example my wife's Camry with 2.4 I4 is barely decent at acceleration with one person in it, but put 4 adults in it and kids on 10 speed bikes go flying past you! (Slight exaggeration).

Plus as someone else mentioned, sometimes the real world MPG isn't much different at all between a 4 and a 6 in that size vehicle.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back