Gear oil or ATF on guns?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: billt460
What I have said is it is the only product I've seen tested in a simple, fast, understandable, high wear test, that the average person can take 5 minutes of their time to watch, and come away with some indication it will better prevent wear.

The falex test, which in no way correlates to what happens in a gun, just like it in no way correlates to what happens in a car engine, does not indicate it will better prevent wear due to that fact. It's like the 4-ball test, which, not surprisingly, isn't a valid engine oil test, but IS a valid gear oil and grease test. But it gets used, like the falex machine, to pimp a particular product to the folks that don't know better and assume that the performance correlates to better wear protection. If it was a valid screening test for a finished lubricant, it would be used as such rather than the much more expensive real-world engine tests that ARE employed to test engine oil.

Unfortunately there are no "standards" to evaluate gun oil; no "manufacturer certifications and approvals". It would be nice if there was a Porsche A40-style approval for gun oils that evaluated their performance in rifles under the same controlled conditions to set a level of performance in the areas folks are concerned about. However, there isn't.

In the absence of an official and relevant testing metric, utilizing a procedure that has absolutely nothing in common with the application in question does not make a case for a particular product. It tells you how well that product performs in the unrelated procedure, nothing more. There is no correlation between the two. As has oft been pointed out, Pert Plus and Head and Shoulders (as well as Bleach) do very well in these types of tests but they are obviously not products you want to be putting on your rifle or in your engine.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
As has oft been pointed out, Pert Plus and Head and Shoulders (as well as Bleach) do very well in these types of tests but they are obviously not products you want to be putting on your rifle or in your engine.

Nor do they lubricate. Lubricity aids to the reliable functioning of any weapon.... Or engine. So the point is moot. Just like someone spraying Pam on their bolt carrier group, because it would provide a, "non stick coating" on hot parts. We can go on like this forever. It's all meaningless..... And in most cases, downright stupid. Unless one uses it to prove an invalid point for the sake of arguing. Not that it EVER happens on BITOG.
crackmeup2.gif

Nor do they lubricate.

Don't they? Just because they aren't oils doesn't mean they don't provide some form of lubrication. In the case of the shampoo products it is apparently the zinc in them (to treat dandruff) that allows them to perform well in these tests. The bleach, chlorine is a good EP additive (with some notable downsides). No, the products are not oil-based lubricants but that doesn't mean they can't lubricate
wink.gif

Lubricity aids to the reliable functioning of any weapon.... Or engine. So the point is moot.

It is only moot if you don't believe that these products lubricate, which I don't believe you have actually demonstrated, simply claimed.

Just like someone spraying Pam on their bolt carrier group, because it would provide a, "non stick coating" on hot parts.

PAM lists the primarily ingredient as Extra Virgin Olive Oil, that would make it a lubricant
wink.gif

We can go on like this forever. It's all meaningless..... And in most cases, downright stupid. Unless one uses it to prove an invalid point for the sake of arguing. Not that it EVER happens on BITOG.
crackmeup2.gif

Well, this hasn't stopped you from continuing it so......
21.gif

Less filling......Tastes great!!
lol.gif

You have to admit this is a great subject for this forum......
21.gif

Nor do they lubricate.

Don't they? Just because they aren't oils doesn't mean they don't provide some form of lubrication.

Do you really want to go there? You really want to argue the benefits of Head & Shoulders Shampoo as a weapons lubricant? Knock yourself out.

Nor do they lubricate.

Don't they? Just because they aren't oils doesn't mean they don't provide some form of lubrication.

Do you really want to go there? You really want to argue the benefits of Head & Shoulders Shampoo as a weapons lubricant? Knock yourself out.

Bill, you claimed it wasn't a lubricant. I don't think that's accurate. The product being a lubricant doesn't mean it is a GOOD lubricant for general purposes, nor does it mean that in being a lubricant that this automatically makes it a good choice for lubricating a firearm either. It IS however apparently a good choice to lubricate that Falex machine
wink.gif

That's the fallacy I'm attempting to point out here and that you keep bucking against. Just because something performs well on a bench test doesn't mean that performance correlates in any way, shape or form to a real life application.

Originally Posted By: Ws6
This is a controlled test using identical weapons doing exactly what you asked for, except no "run it until failure" occurred because...absurd amount of time.

That's exactly what I'm talking about. No one has run them until failure. So you can't prove a thing either way.

There you have it. Exactly what you asked for. Verbatim. Sealed and delivered.

Sorry, but you've "sealed and delivered" nothing but more of the same old nonsense. I don't "worship" Weapon Shield. What I have said is it is the only product I've seen tested in a simple, fast, understandable, high wear test, that the average person can take 5 minutes of their time to watch, and come away with some indication it will better prevent wear. At least better than all of the jargon you've cut and pasted. Along with a preference of lubing your guns with vegetable oil. I then proved to myself it, (Weapon Shield), provides better slickness and lubricity by way of a simple test I did on my own weapons. Again directly comparing it to other products that did not work as well. And that surprised me. I've never had anything like that remotely occur in countless applications of other lubricants over several decades. All I did was mention that fact, and you were all over me about it. And this is what you come back with? And it's supposed to be more informative? Of what? Certainly nothing the average shooter can relate to.

What you seem to have a difficult time with, is with firearm lubricant tests, like most everything else, simple is better. Not inundating someone with information overload it would take a chemical engineer to decipher. And who would be no better "educated" than before he read it, as to what is actually "better" at preventing wear. As I told you before, you could over complicate a cup of coffee. You keep proving me right in post after post.

So I link you to a government funded test where identical handguns are cycled thousands of times and critical dimensions are measured carefully at intervals, the only variable being the clp used...and that's not good enough. But a sticky bolt shooting old milsurp ammo convinced you that weaponshield was awesome, but the anecdotal experiences of pat rogers don't matter...

...I'm not sure anyone can help you out here.

I can't believe this conversation. I'm sure that there are lots of available lubricants that you may or may not choose to use on your weapon. As for the appropriate test methods and prescribed limits, well who knows.
All I can say is that we once ran beer in an FZG and it did surprisingly well.

Originally Posted By: Whitewolf
I can't believe this conversation. I'm sure that there are lots of available lubricants that you may or may not choose to use on your weapon. As for the appropriate test methods and prescribed limits, well who knows.

Bill T wanted scientific data, and complained that all he could find were worthless "I personally saw..." type anecdotes on the internet. He was then given scientific data. He then became upset about how complex it was, and cited his own "I personally saw..." data, to invalidate said scientific test which was exactly what he asked for (testing of wear using identical firearms, the only variable being the lubricant), and lambasting the person who linked him to it (Me) for linking him to something he was either unwilling, or incapable to understand.

Bill T wanted scientific data, and complained that all he could find were worthless "I personally saw..." type anecdotes on the internet. He was then given scientific data. He then became upset about how complex it was, and cited his own "I personally saw..." data, to invalidate said scientific test which was exactly what he asked for (testing of wear using identical firearms, the only variable being the lubricant), and lambasting the person who linked him to it (Me) for linking him to something he was either unwilling, or incapable to understand.

If I may, can I just say, life's too short mate?

If I may, can I just say, life's too short mate?

I've no argument for that, but respectfully, sometimes I am bored. Also, someone else may find the conversation beneficial, even if the intended original direct audience is only trolling.

Don't they? Just because they aren't oils doesn't mean they don't provide some form of lubrication. Bill, you claimed it wasn't a lubricant.

How about you expound on the virtues of P!$$ as a lubricant? I mean why not? Everyone carries it around with them, and has a built in applicator.

.........sometimes I am bored.

You do provide everyone with the reasoning that you have way too much time on your hands. You really do need a life.

Don't they? Just because they aren't oils doesn't mean they don't provide some form of lubrication. Bill, you claimed it wasn't a lubricant.

How about you expound on the virtues of P!$$ as a lubricant? I mean why not? Everyone carries it around with them, and has a built in applicator.

People have used it to get an M4 up and running again. Bang bang bang...that's what it all boils down to, isn't it? But I don't think anyone will claim it as a lubricant of CHOICE.

.........sometimes I am bored.

You do provide everyone with the reasoning that you have way too much time on your hands. You really do need a life.

Exactly what would you have me do? My ammo budget is only so much, I only work so many hours, and I can only pump so much iron before it's counter productive, and hiking, etc. is similar. Can only do so much, lol!

LMAO!!!!

That could be a problem at the range......
spankme2.gif

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Gear oil would make them stink
Gear oil on guns smells like victory !!

Originally Posted By: CT8
Originally Posted By: Chris142
Gear oil would make them stink
Gear oil on guns smells like victory !!

If you equate the smell of diff fluid with victory, the only thing I can think of is a win by default, and a mess on the track, lol!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back