Blazer Brass vs American Eagle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive been shooting a lot of blazer brass lately but am thinking about testing some of the American Eagle in the 9mm. What are you're guys thoughts on the 2 brands? The blazer is much easier to find, i can only ever get American Eagle at Turners, but they are way overpriced.

Just got me a new M&P shield 9 mm and while i was at budguns i asked for the cheapest 50 box of ammo and he had American Eagle for $13, it looks fine but will have to see how it shoots soon. Also swung by Walmart and got a 100 box of Winchester white box for $24.64+tax

im not really a fan of Walmart. Last time I was there I waited over 20 minutes for an attendant to grab me some ammo from the display.

I have shot a lot of both especially the Blazer. No worries with either, my perception is the Federal is slightly higher quality but that is very subjective of course.

The Federal is readily abundant cheap on line so that's an option as well.

Big fan of 9MM, own 4 different pistols that are chambered in 9MM. I only shoot Federal and American Eagle, based on research, AE is made by Federal. Have fired thousands of rounds of both with no issues. I too have fired Winchester and they tend to be a dirtier ammo. Sad to say I purchase all ammo from WM because it is easy to get.

Originally Posted By: Georgiey22
Big fan of 9MM, own 4 different pistols that are chambered in 9MM. I only shoot Federal and American Eagle, based on research, AE is made by Federal. Have fired thousands of rounds of both with no issues. I too have fired Winchester and they tend to be a dirtier ammo. Sad to say I purchase all ammo from WM because it is easy to get.

Other than shotgun shells I will never buy another pistol round at WM. Life is way too short. It spites me to pay more than $10 a box for 9mm

I've long suspected that these are actually the same round. They are the same parent company, and pull downs of several rounds have shown me that they have the same weight of powder that looks identical between the two, and both use the same(plated) projectile. I've seen F-C and Blazer headstamps intermixed in the same box. I see no perceptible difference in shooting them.

I'd buy whichever was cheaper.

Originally Posted By: bunnspecial
I've long suspected that these are actually the same round. They are the same parent company, and pull downs of several rounds have shown me that they have the same weight of powder that looks identical between the two, and both use the same(plated) projectile. I've seen F-C and Blazer headstamps intermixed in the same box. I see no perceptible difference in shooting them.

Interesting. Federal sells aluminum-case pistol ammo at Wal-Mart and I've heard others suggest it was repackaged Blazer.

It's good ammo. I've found it to be one of the most consistent loads in my Dan Wesson.

$10/box 9mm, $15/box for .40 & .45.

Definitely better ammo than the Perfecta brass 9mm they sell for the same price.

Originally Posted By: john_pifer
Originally Posted By: bunnspecial

Interesting. Federal sells aluminum-case pistol ammo at Wal-Mart and I've heard others suggest it was repackaged Blazer.

It's good ammo. I've found it to be one of the most consistent loads in my Dan Wesson.

Here's another funny one for you.

A while back(and maybe still) Cabelas was carrying an aluminum cased 45 ACP ball with a blue nylon "jacket" under their Herter's brand.

The aluminum case is, of course, traditionally associated with blazer while the blue nylon is from the old Federal Ny-Clad rounds(which I love, but are pretty much unobtainium these days). A friend bought a couple of boxes of it before he got into reloading, although I never paid attention to the headstamp.

Federal and CCI/Speer are owned by the same parent company, so it's not inconceivable, although there are a lot of products that remain distinct between the companies.

Cabelas uses a variety of suppliers for Herters brand ammo. I've bought 38 Special, 357 Magnum, and 44 Magnum "black box" that was Sellier & Bellot(although headstamped Herters). I have some "yellow box" in 7.52x54r that I think is headstamped Tula.

Last edited:

Definitely better ammo than the Perfecta brass 9mm they sell for the same price.

What problems have you had with perfecta?

Originally Posted By: Al

No problems, really, but I've shot a lot of it and Federal, both, lately (1500+ rounds in the last several weeks), and it doesn't group as consistently for me out of my handguns (HiPower and Dan Wesson Heritage).

I prefer Federal.

YMMV.

I've shot lots of both, for range use as long as it goes bang everytime I don't care who makes it. At 7-20yds the differences between premium ammo and the cheapest of the cheap is insignificant, whats the difference between a 3" and a 5" group.

None of the factory bargain loads are particularly consistent in velocity, they all seem to work fine in my guns. The biggest difference I've seen is that some are a lot dirtier than others which doesn't really bother me.

Originally Posted By: Al

No problems, really, but I've shot a lot of it and Federal, both, lately (1500+ rounds in the last several weeks), and it doesn't group as consistently for me out of my handguns (HiPower and Dan Wesson Heritage).

I prefer Federal.

YMMV.

I've experienced the same. At 7 yds it doesn't matter much, but at 25 yds I have more difficulty hitting things with the Perfecta than the Federal.

Originally Posted By: ironman_gq
whats the difference between a 3" and a 5" group.

I mostly do bullseye-type shooting. I like to see how tight I can get my groups at distance.

Originally Posted By: ironman_gq
The biggest difference I've seen is that some are a lot dirtier than others which doesn't really bother me.

All ammo is dirty to some extent or another, whether you're talking about reloaded Unique under a cast lead bullet lubed with Alox or a premium solid copper bullet with a lead free primer. Most guns today will function well with a fair bit of crud in them, and I find that a lot of the "dirtier" stuff actually cleans up easier. Unique's nickname of "flaming dirt" was well earned, but none the less all the [censored] it generates cleans up without much more than a wipe with the solvent of your choice.

As far as functioning well-Hickok45 has a video where he reloads some 45ACP with FFFF black powder and his Glock actually manages a good number of shots before getting too gummed up to run. Even my Colt single action can only manage 50-75 rounds of 45 Colt black powder before I have to wipe the cylinder face off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back