Liqui Moly vs German Castrol question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I made a search and there is not much here on the Liqui Moly in recent times so I thought I'd bring it up here in this context. I am the new owner of an e60 BMW with an N52B30 and 140K miles, I've driven the car ~1000 miles as my commute is ~35 on the freeway miles each way. I had a sneaking suspicion the dealer used an additive to mask some valve train noise and so I changed the oil (dino 5W-30) and filter (Mann) and I have some slight noise at idle when the engine is fully warm. 400 miles prior to the oil change I put in 8 oz of MMO, and then another 12oz just before I warmed up the car to do the oil change. I think the oil had ~10K on it and it appeared to be fine, and looking in the oil fill hole prior to purchase what I could see of the head looked relatively clean anyway.

The oil spec for the car is BMW LL01 5W-30/40. German Castrol Edge 0W-40 European formula is available locally and on Amazon for $25 a gallon, and I'm also looking at the Liqui Moly Leichtlauf High Tech SAE 5W-40 as a higher cost option ($38/5 liters) in part because they make a hydraulic lifter additive that I plan to try that has a reputation for "fixing" the cold start lifter noise common to this particular BMW series of engines.

The OCI indicated by the car's computer is 16K miles, I will probably run it to 10K and take a sample to see where things sit.

With that in mind what sage advice do you have? Thanks.

Last edited:
Liqui Moly is considered as a good stuff here. But I am not observing many UOA on this forum, so it is hard to say.

Considering the fact that Castrol is so popular and there are so many UOA it may be a better choice after all.

Last edited:
Go with the Castrol 0W40, and skip the additive. Hard to beat for $25 per 5 quart jug.

Nothing wrong with the Liqui Moly 5W40, except for the cost.

Originally Posted By: NEO_Dan
I made a search and there is not much here on the Liqui Moly in recent times so I thought I'd bring it up here in this context. I am the new owner of an e60 BMW with an N52B30 and 140K miles, I've driven the car ~1000 miles as my commute is ~35 on the freeway miles each way. I had a sneaking suspicion the dealer used an additive to mask some valve train noise and so I changed the oil (dino 5W-30) and filter (Mann) and I have some slight noise at idle when the engine is fully warm. 400 miles prior to the oil change I put in 8 oz of MMO, and then another 12oz just before I warmed up the car to do the oil change. I think the oil had ~10K on it and it appeared to be fine, and looking in the oil fill hole prior to purchase what I could see of the head looked relatively clean anyway.

The oil spec for the car is BMW LL01 5W-30/40. German Castrol Edge 0W-40 European formula is available locally and on Amazon for $25 a gallon, and I'm also looking at the Liqui Moly Leichtlauf High Tech SAE 5W-40 as a higher cost option ($38/5 liters) in part because they make a hydraulic lifter additive that I plan to try that has a reputation for "fixing" the cold start lifter noise common to this particular BMW series of engines.

The OCI indicated by the car's computer is 16K miles, I will probably run it to 10K and take a sample to see where things sit.

With that in mind what sage advice do you have? Thanks.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback. No worries, it's not even going to be in the car for a week. This car needs the oil filter stand and oil cooler gaskets replaced, they arrived today and I picked up the oil this evening on my way home. If I still own the car when it comes time to change the oil again I may try the Liqui Moly then.
wink.gif

I plan on holding off on the additive until I see what the Castrol does for the situation.

Thanks oilmutt
smile.gif

Last edited:
Good luck with the car!

In addition to the oil filter housing and oil cooler gaskets, the valve cover gaskets are usually leaky on the N52 engines. Not too bad a job to replace, just takes time.

Originally Posted By: NEO_Dan
Thanks for the feedback. No worries, it's not even going to be in the car for a week. This car needs the oil filter stand and oil cooler gaskets replaced, they arrived today and I picked up the oil this evening on my way home. If I still own the car when it comes time to change the oil again I may try the Liqui Moly then.
wink.gif

I plan on holding off on the additive until I see what the Castrol does for the situation.

Thanks oilmutt
smile.gif

Interesting additive, liqui moly is fairly reputable and I use their motor oil saver even though I'm fairly strong on the anti additive side. I would like to know what's in their lifter formulation that makes it work.

NEO_Dan, perhaps these late 2014 VOAs will help with your decision. In case you are wondering, I had to overlay my username because a certain BITOG user was copying and reposting my VOAs and representing them as his own. When I called him out on this, he thought I was the one with the problem and thought he had the right to claim them as his own. This resulted in me deleting all my images from some really informative VOA posts. For you and your specific question, I will give this one more shot.

Scott

Originally Posted By: SLO_Town
Originally Posted By: volodymyr
Thanks for the VOA, SLO_Town. This is very informative. Somehow I would tend towards Castrol due to higher ZDDP level.

You are welcome, volodymyr

I want to extend my thanks too. Its too bad there are a s s holes around that want to ruin your day.

If the two Castrol products (0w30/40) are practically identical, and both hold BMW LL-01, what really is the point? They both have the key certification, so that should be the end of the story.
Unless this is a move to try and capture some of the "thicker = better" crowd.

Originally Posted By: B320i
Originally Posted By: SLO_Town
Thanks for the VOA, SLO_Town. This is very informative. Somehow I would tend towards Castrol due to higher ZDDP level.

You are welcome, volodymyr

I want to extend my thanks too. Its too bad there are a s s holes around that want to ruin your day.

If the two Castrol products (0w30/40) are practically identical, and both hold BMW LL-01, what really is the point? They both have the key certification, so that should be the end of the story.
Unless this is a move to try and capture some of the "thicker = better" crowd.

0W40 is much cheaper due to retail war with Mobil1 in Wal mart. Also, 0W40 meets Porsche A40, 0W30 does not (since Porsce does not allow W30 weight for their turbo gasoline engines).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: B320i

We should be happy that there's a choice, and that also includes their 5w-40 A3/B4 and 5w-30 A3/B4, also so certified. Some customers, for better or for worse, want the certification and are stuck on a certain viscosity, either due to the manual wording or their own preferences.

Originally Posted By: Garak

We should be happy that there's a choice, and that also includes their 5w-40 A3/B4 and 5w-30 A3/B4, also so certified. Some customers, for better or for worse, want the certification and are stuck on a certain viscosity, either due to the manual wording or their own preferences.

I envy you a lot. In Europe I cannot buy 5W-30 or 5W-40 Edge A3/B4. I can find Magnatec, but not the Edge. And I want the Edge
smile.gif

In Switzerland Castrol only sells 10W-60 A3/B4. Everything else is low/mid SAPs (0W-30, 0W-40, 5W-40, etc).

P.S. And yes, I can order from US, but this increases the price. Also US Amazon does not ship that many products in my country.

Last edited:
SLO- Thanks for reposting those. Amazon ships Edge 0W-40/0W-30 right to my door. This combo will be finding its way into my 5.7L Hemi for my summer oil change...

P.S. And yes, I can order from US, but this increases the price. Also US Amazon does not ship that many products in my country.

The same deal applies here. Amazon U.S. is spotty at best. Amazon Canada isn't a bargain. As for Castrol, the company that distributes it up here doesn't let any grass grow under their feet, and they make darned sure that their products are readily available all over the place.

Well, maybe it's like North America. They can't get a Castrol 5w-30 A3/B4 in the U.S. (except maybe at a dealer as OE Professional). Yet, I can get it at a local parts store. Wakefield Canada markets in a very aggressive fashion. If a Castrol product is available in Canada, Wakefield makes sure you will be able to find it fairly easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back