Oil recommendation for 2016 Volkswagen Golf R

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: tawheed
This is my 70th overall vehicle

And you are 35? Holly macro!

Nice ride, by the way!

FYI, wife's Q5, although a different engine, has a similarly harsh working environment - mostly very short trips, probably 6K miles a year max. I'm planning to just do annual changes on it. My car (530i) is driven similarly, and I just change the oil once a year. Did a UOA a few times, and did not see any issues with this approach. It does help to burn off fuel and moisture if you take it out for a longer drive once in a while.

Good to know! I was thinking of this option as well. If I have short trips throughout the week, but make it a point to take it on a decent drive once a weekend, maybe I could just do them annually, at 5-6k kms total.

Originally Posted By: Olas
Is Canadian gas ULS?

No. Most of it is also E10, but the premium available is often E0. As for Euro oils, most that we talk about are A3/B4. Castrol has one of the few C3 oils available on the shelf, but has four A3/B4 varieties on the shelves here.

Merk: The Valvoline Euro stuff would be highly difficult to find here. If he wants to try it, the only place I could suggest would be NAPA Canada. They might be able to bring it in. Or, perhaps a Great Canadian Oil Change would be willing to sell him some cash and carry.

OEM Mann/Mahle/Hengst type filters can be obtained readily and cheaply in Canada at Partsource.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Merk: The Valvoline Euro stuff would be highly difficult to find here.

The Valvoline 5w-40 that he mentioned is ACEA C3. There is also Valvoline 0w-40 that meets ACEA A3/B4 (full SAPS), but this one is nearly impossible to find even in the US.

Well, there you go. Anything beyond an ILSAC Valvoline product up here (aside from HDEO) is going to be problematic. I still need to stop by the Great Canadian Oil Change and see what they have available out of curiosity. I have a sneaking hunch they went with the path of least resistance and use M1 0w-40 or a Castrol variety, since they don't stock solely Valvoline, although that is what they push.

That Valvoline 0W-40 was one of the discontinued Auto Zone oils down here. It was being sold for $2/qt. I wonder if the OP could order it from Autozone.com.

Originally Posted By: wemay
That Valvoline 0W-40 was one of the discontinued Auto Zone oils down here. It was being sold for $2/qt. I wonder if the OP could order it from Autozone.com.

I'm in Canada so ordering anything from the U.S. right now is a killer with the exchange rate. For off the shelf Canadian Tire / Walmart stuff it's sounding like Castrol 0w-40 / Mobil 0w-40 are the two best options? The dealer sells the Castrol 5w/40 OE in the gold bottles - is that any different than the off the shelf stuff?

What? Valvoline just recently launched this oil, and its already discontinued???

What? Valvoline just recently launched this oil, and its already discontinued???

Yup, at least from AutoZones down here. Along with M1 AFE 0w30, M1 EP 10w30, Ultra SRT 0w40 and EDGE 0w30.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Amazon

And as a Canadian, I get told to shop Amazon Canada, and they have only Valvoline ILSAC stuff and VR1, at rather unfriendly prices.
wink.gif

And as a Canadian, I get told to shop Amazon Canada, and they have only Valvoline ILSAC stuff and VR1, at rather unfriendly prices.
wink.gif

Canada's dollar used to be worth $1.20 to our dollar; what happened ?
21.gif

Merk: The Valvoline Euro stuff would be highly difficult to find here.

There is also Valvoline 0w-40 that meets ACEA A3/B4 (full SAPS), but this one is nearly impossible to find even in the US.

It's strange how every country is different, we get a vast and easy to access selection of Valvoline SynPower products here.

About 6 months ago, SynPower 0W-40 A3/B4 was offered at an excellent price, about 40% off. I had to buy some, I might use it for my next OCI.

For me M1 is hard to find, and expensive when I do find it.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Canada's dollar used to be worth $1.20 to our dollar; what happened ?
21.gif

Well, I don't worry too much about exchange. When I can order something from the States, it usually is cheaper anyhow, whether our dollar is worth sixty-five of your cents or is on par. Canadian retailers hose us, and exchange is just one of the excuses, and they conveniently ignore it when it's in our favour, and dust it off once again when it's not.

Amazon wouldn't dare let me order something from the States at the prices you guys pay, when they can automatically add 50% on the Canadian Amazon side, irrespective of exchange. As I mentioned in another thread, I always buy my tea from the States. I started doing so when our dollar was well under $0.70 U.S., many, many years ago. Even then, it was still cheaper than the grocery store, for a far superior product. Canadian retailers still haven't changed, so all my tea comes from Oregon.

I'm sure it would work, but the conventional wisdom is that the 0w-40 and 0w-30 Castrol are higher quality, by specification and base stocks. Of course, the 0w-30 is only available in 1 litre bottles, and you're well aware what that does the the price. Canadian Tire and Partsource, however, regularly have the Castrol 0w-40 A3/B4 on sale. That would be my first pick, but the 5w-40 is also available in container sizes that go on sensible specials on occasion.

Here, both approved lubes from Castrol, the 5w-40 and 0w-40, are priced identically, unfortunately.

Thanks! I was actually thinking of the 0w40 over the 5w40, just had a typo on my other post. Is the new 0w40 German stuff as good as the old 1L bottle 0w30 German stuff?

Originally Posted By: tawheed
I'm thinking of going with the German 5w40 castrol readily available here - any issues with that?

According to some BMW owners, using Castrol 5w40 leads to more varnish than other synthetic oils. You can search BITOG for BMW engines with the valve covers off. I think this doesn't happen with the Castrol 0w30 Euro or Castrol 0w40.

I had an idea on how to reduce intake valve deposits and withstand high sulfur gasoline. Every VW 505.01 oil I have seen also meets VW 502. However, 505.01 has a max SAPS of .8 whereas oils that only meet 502/505 have a max SAPS of 1.0

Most stores don't carry 505.01 oils. If you go to an auto parts store that specializes in European cars, you might find a 505.01 from Liqui Moly or Pentosin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back