Volvo recommends Castrol EDGE Professional V 0W-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well firstly the CCS comparison is not valid as the data point for -30C is incorrect.

Secondly you are comparing flash point, VI and density. All of which have little relevance to application in a Volvo engine.

In reality the testing and comparisons have already been carried out by Volvo and they have chosen the oil they want in their engines. Why try second guess on random data?

Originally Posted By: bobbydavro
Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: bobbydavro
Its a unique 0W-20, one reason the minimum HTHS for the spec is 2.75cP rather than 2.6cP and the huge amount of testing carried out on it by Volvo

As said - its best to try and find the correct oil. It should be in the USA

LOL, another subset in the J300 problem...a 0W25 (HTHS minimum wise)

It's not related to J300, it's related to the specific OEM specs and highlights why they are important when the OEM calls for them. Just sticking in any 0W-20 will cause potential issues.

There are many OEM specs with similar quirks. Eg BMW LL01 FE is a 3.0 min HTHS

It's just that I see J300 in it's current form as a hinderance.

It needed to be modified to include HTHS when that became a known, and the OEMs, ACEA etc. are all indicating with their specs that HTHS is what matters, rather than KV (which it does).

Extreme examples are silly things like Mobil 1 racing 0W50 which has an HTHS of 3.8, which really places it in the realms of a 40 grade.

IMO J300 needs to be changed to an xW - HTHS...that's all.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Joel_MD
Anybody have any insider knowledge of this elusive Castrol oil, or know what’s different about Volvo standard VCC RBS0-2AE?

Don't know what it entails, but it appears to only be recommended for extreme driving conditions. How does Volvo define "extreme driving conditions"?

Otherwise, looks like any ACEA A5/B5 oil will do.

Agree. Just looking for A5/B5 oil, any brand.

For the last while Volvo has used A5/B5 0w30 for most of their passenger cars, gasoline and diesel.

VCC RBS0-2AE as before is recommended for both gasoline and diesel engines. So the problem is 2 fold, diesel performance and low HTHS.

20 grades do not qualify for A5/B5 due to the low HTHS. C1 and C2 don't qualify either for the same reason. So the only current option for a low HTHS 20 grade is A1/B1, which will be dropped in 2016 I will add, or make your own spec. Volvo chose to make their own and I don't blame them for that.

The formulation above could be more like a low HTHS C2 rather than A5/B5 anyway. Note the SAPS level qualifies for C2 which is most likely to suite the diesel (DPF) requirement. I can't see a problem using an A5/B5 or C2 30 grade in the gasoline model. A top shelf synthetic 0w20 SN/GF-5 A1/B1 would likely work just fine too.

Motul Specific RBSO-2AE 0W20.
There are several Motul distributors near your part of Maryland.
This is a Mid SAPS oil with an HTHS of 2.82,
and is designed for both gasoline and diesel engines.
Hope this helps, OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back