Costco Battery Warranty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went to get in my Jeep that had been sitting for about two weeks and noticed the keyless didn't work. Yup, dead Interstate battery. Since we were going to a restaurant next to Costco, I took it out and threw it in the trunk of my father's car and off on our merry way.

Battery failed after just >24 months. Didn't have my receipt so they looked it up under my purchase history, gave me a full refund and I simply repurchased a new one. Unlike Autozone, Costco didn't do any sort of test on it, they simply replaced it. It wasn't explained to me (and I didn't ask) but I'm wondering if the new battery carries a full 42-month warranty or if it is still the original battery's warranty.

Has anyone else had to return a battery at Costco? If the standard experience is like this, I'm thinking I'll just switch my batteries to Costco ones when the time comes.

You are in good hands with Costco as far as the new battery carrying the full new warranty. You are starting another 42 month warranty as of today.

Yeah, your new battery has full 42-month warranty as of today, the day you bought it with refunded money. This time keep receipt in glove box.

I had a Sams Club battery with a 5 year warranty that failed at year 4. They replaced it a couple of years ago (had to pay 25% of the cost of new) under warranty and started the warranty over again.

Now they just have the 3 year warranty.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Are you going to check your charging system?

This was my thought. I've used Costco batteries or AAP Johnson Controls batteries for a long time now and change them out after 4 years regardless. Never had one go bad that soon.

Costco is the Gold Standard of customer service. For grocery stores, it's Wegman's. For credit cards, it's American Express. I'm sure everybody has their favorites - these 3 stand out to me.

thats good to know i know AAP is really bad honoring their warranties on Batteries unless you have a commercial account with them that you spend thousands each year.
Auto zone changed their ways also so maybe costco is the way to go warranty wise but i am not sure they have the best prices on batteries.

Walmart also doesn't usually check anything about a battery - but they have a serial number on the battery that links back to your original purchase date, so the warranty is only from the original purchase date.

FWIW, I've never had great luck with Interstate batteries, even with all their marketing as the "best" batteries...

Originally Posted By: Donald
Make a copy of your receipt so it will be readable after 42 months.

yeah, those thermals fail, specially in hot car,
sams club lady won't take a copied receipt once for return to refund me my money, she would ONLY do it like it was without receipt and gave me store credit.

I was in too much shock to argue with her!

That's great warranty service. Most places put your warranty at the start of your first purchase, but with a refund it's just like you bought the new battery today. I may start thinking about a membership myself now.

EDIT:

I don't see car batteries on the Costco website, do they all stock them?

If I recall correctly, Costco's warranty basically allows for a refund, so you essentially returned the dead battery and bought a new one. In you case, the price was the same, so it was no big deal (and like others have said, the warranty starts over). But I've read complaints where the battery's price increased, so the "full replacement" policy wasn't exactly right, since you had to buy the new battery at the new price.

Regardless, my Element's Costco battery is coming up at 26 months old and going strong. And I've always had good luck with Costco purchases.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis

I don't see car batteries on the Costco website, do they all stock them?

Every Costco that I've been to in my area has batteries, either in the store or in the tire center.

I think most every Costco stocks batteries in store only. They don't show any of the batteries on the website. You could always call your local Costco to see if they have the battery you need in stock.

I was surprised when I went to Costco that they didn't have a battery for a 2010 Mustang GT. The Ford dealer had the Motorcraft on sale for $100 cash and carry so I came out better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back