0w30 Quartz better for noisy tappets?

Status
Not open for further replies.
sounds good news on your peugeot.i see forte do an engine flush as well,so i might consider flush and top end treatment.
hopefully your engine will continue to be quiet,which should mean no mechanical wear and no top end strip down!.

Originally Posted By: umbee
sounds good news on your peugeot.i see forte do an engine flush as well,so i might consider flush and top end treatment.
hopefully your engine will continue to be quiet,which should mean no mechanical wear and no top end strip down!.

Really hoping that.
You see many garages now appear to use the Forte flush and then the top end in the new oil.

The oil is spotless on the dipstick.

May well do the same on my skoda.

video of my wifes peugeot 307,engine cold.
noise varies on this car sometimes its better on start up,this video was a good day with little noise. .

video of my wifes peugeot 307,engine cold.
noise varies on this car sometimes its better on start up,this video was a good day with little noise. .

not too bad regarding the tappets. There is a lot of pulley noise there. Do any of the pulleys need changing?
Try to get it on a bad day if you can to compare.

how is the pug sounding mr brit 33? sorry to hear your last post was sounding bad again,these engines are frustrating!
changed oil to 10w/40 today, just to see if thicker oil stayed in lifters for longer.started her up after 6 hours and heard tick/rattle again.i will test drive tomorrow to see if it goes away any quicker.
yes i can hear the pulley/belt noise like you said in the video,this sounded like that when i brought the car in april.i might loosen or remove the altenator belt just to start her up and see if any difference? why do we buy these cars!.

Yes very frustrating especially as it's not always consistent.
Hoping the oil changes and top end treatment will eventually clear things up if it is them sticking with gunge.

If in 6-12 months the rattle continues I may well replace all tappets myself.

My worst fear is that the camshaft is wearing due to the rattle.

Don't want to change the car really.

These engines are not known for eating camshafts
smile.gif

(and it appears camshafts are not that expensive, just in case).

Have you checked the oil pressure?

Originally Posted By: Popsy
These engines are not known for eating camshafts
smile.gif

(and it appears camshafts are not that expensive, just in case).

Have you checked the oil pressure?

No I haven't checked the OP yet. I assumed it was fine as when the engine is hot all is fine with no valvetrain noise.

Still worth checking?

Where would be the best tap on the block for a sensor?

Not sure if it is really worth it, but if you have time and opportunity...
I'd unscrew the low oil pressure sensor and tap the manometer there. That's what they do on Renault engines. Unless you have other, easier access?
My Fiats have two possible connections on the oil filter support, but that looks like a very last minute thing.

If you were living nearby I'd make you try another oil type, but I don't think it's worth the cost.

Yes I might just do that if I get the opportunity.
I had that done on my alfa and was interesting to see the different OP readings with different oils and Temps.
Maybe just a simple mechanical one unless I decide to install one on the dash

this is video today of the peugeot fully warmed up.
in the first 20 seconds i loosened the fan belt tension twice,to hear the pulley noise improve.
the engine is now running with 10w/40 oil.the cold start up is still noisey,but the sound is deeper and more muffled.
i think this oil being thicker has only masked the noise from being a more metalic clicking to a duller thicker sound.

this is video today of the peugeot fully warmed up.
in the first 20 seconds i loosened the fan belt tension twice,to hear the pulley noise improve.
the engine is now running with 10w/40 oil.the cold start up is still noisey,but the sound is deeper and more muffled.
i think this oil being thicker has only masked the noise from being a more metalic clicking to a duller thicker sound.

Hows the noisy TU5 engine going?

Mine's pretty noisy as usual when cold but always quiet once warmed up.

I want to take the cam covers off to inspect the faces of the tappets. Finding time is an issue and a day it is not raining! So wet everywhere!

Seems to be dependent on low temps.

Was a cold night last night with a thick layer of ice on the car.

Wife called to say it was rattling very badly but went once warmed up.

Above 10c it doesn't seem to rattle

Today (12 degrees) starts up brilliantly. I have 3 recordings uploading.

Not sure if its the new ester oil working or just the slightly warmer start up temp. 10 degrees difference make such a difference?
It was sitting for 48 hours also.

Last edited:
For my diesel, it makes a huge difference, lol!
For the Barchetta, not perceptible (between 0°C and 10°C).

Maybe this Motul oil is loaded with friction modifiers, and that makes a difference?
Anyway, Good to hear the new oil is smoothing things up
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Popsy
For my diesel, it makes a huge difference, lol!
For the Barchetta, not perceptible (between 0°C and 10°C).

Maybe this Motul oil is loaded with friction modifiers, and that makes a difference?
Anyway, Good to hear the new oil is smoothing things up
thumbsup2.gif

Yes maybe the friction modifiers are better in this ester (group 4 or 5 oil?).
Someone on the Citroen C4 forum (same engine) did highly recommend the ester oil for these picky tappets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back