Finding a good impact

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mixed reviews? Out of 407 the aircat has 4.7 stars and the IR has 4.6 out of 376, but hey if you like it that's fine.
Maybe after the F/R buttons fall out a couple of times you will post back looking for another recommendation.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: Trav
Mixed reviews? Out of 407 the aircat has 4.7 stars and the IR has 4.6 out of 376, but hey if you like it that's fine.
Maybe after the F/R buttons fall out a couple of times you will post back looking for another recommendation.
lol.gif

Reading on line some people say it's great and others say they didn't last long. We can't deny that ir has a great reputation. Absolutely the best reputation in the business. I've heard of the button issue on the or its after they wear though it takes a long time. And so what replace the case and move on lol. They all have there flaws for me the ir is quieter than any gun I've ever used even the nitro cat I owned and the air cat my friend owns. It's smoother and just as song. I also thing air cat over states their torque ratings. I don't buy some of their numbers. And the balance isn't as good. The air cat is fine but I prefer the ir line.

The only issue I know of is over time the case wears out and the buttons fall out. It takes several years before there is enough wear to cause an issue.

Originally Posted By: ram_man
Rand say whatever you want it's not like you actually know what it's like to use these tools 40+ hours a week.? But I don't like the mixed reviews on the air cat or its handle design or its balance .

UH huh.. because uh Trav doesnt know about airtools either right? You are the pinnacle of mechanic know-how.

The mixed reviews??? Those were from your earlier tool That you bought off on a wild tangent and didnt like the nitro-cat.

The aircat has better reviews than that IR

and the IR is "Assembled in the USA" with foreign and domestic parts not a fully domestic product.

But hey I'd advise against making a 3rd air impact thread then buying something no one recommended. Because at that time I think most of us will be eating popcorn and shaking our heads.

If I could find a store near me I'd buy an air cat id like to try one personally . But nobody near me sells them apparently. I do like the ir though it's to quiet .

Why are the Air Cat guns not worth rebuilding? I rebuilt a Nitro Cat 1200K in less than 30 minutes with about $30 in parts. I got the gun at an auction for a song. It works like a new one now. The Nitro Cat may not be ideal for automotive work, but it does a good job for me (DIY/hobbyist).

Originally Posted By: Rand
Originally Posted By: ram_man
Rand say whatever you want it's not like you actually know what it's like to use these tools 40+ hours a week.? But I don't like the mixed reviews on the air cat or its handle design or its balance .

UH huh.. because uh Trav doesnt know about airtools either right? You are the pinnacle of mechanic know-how.

The mixed reviews??? Those were from your earlier tool That you bought off on a wild tangent and didnt like the nitro-cat.

The aircat has better reviews than that IR

and the IR is "Assembled in the USA" with foreign and domestic parts not a fully domestic product.

But hey I'd advise against making a 3rd air impact thread then buying something no one recommended. Because at that time I think most of us will be eating popcorn and shaking our heads.

I can vouch for the mixed reviews. Everything I've read about Air Cat online tends to be great but in the real world I've never personally seen one hold up in shop use. Two guys I worked with bought their 1/2 inch impacts and they both failed within a few months. Our Snap On guy actually quit carrying them as his cheaper than SO alternative because he said that he was having to send so many back for warranty.

Originally Posted By: cb_13

I can vouch for the mixed reviews. Everything I've read about Air Cat online tends to be great but in the real world I've never personally seen one hold up in shop use. Two guys I worked with bought their 1/2 inch impacts and they both failed within a few months. Our Snap On guy actually quit carrying them as his cheaper than SO alternative because he said that he was having to send so many back for warranty.

So Aircat repaired or replaced the guns 12x times over a 2 year period? With that sort of failure rate i cant see how they get any good reviews. It just doesn't sound right.
The real reason IMO the SO man doesn't sell them is there is very little markup on a sub $200 gun.

Originally Posted By: Trav

So Aircat repaired or replaced the guns 12x times over a 2 year period? With that sort of failure rate i cant see how they get any good reviews. It just doesn't sound right.
The real reason IMO the SO man doesn't sell them is there is very little markup on a sub $200 gun.

Well out of the two I've seen come into the shop both needed warranty replacement within a couple of months. The Snap On guy took them in as trade and the guys paid the difference for Snap On impacts.

You've seen good. I've seen bad out of them. I'd consider that mixed reviews. I don't see why you feel the need to debunk my story. I have not called your honesty into question because you've seen different results than I have. I would appreciate the same respect but it seems that is asking a lot on this forum anymore.

The Snap On guy took them in as trade and the guys paid the difference for Snap On impacts.

I wasn't questioning your honesty but i sure am the SO guys. The OP has a SO gun that pizzes oil whats with that failure?
Any tool can fail air or otherwise, they need maintenance. If they were not greased, lubed properly daily or the compressor has no water filter they can fail quickly regardless or make.

I see this all the time, the IR fan s claim Aircats are no good but when asked if they ever owned one the answer is no, same for Snap On but they all heard it so they post it on some forum.
You can see the reaction in some of the threads, "if the IR buttons fall out i will just replace the case", I will get the leaking Snap On repaired because they are better guns. WTH is that, if that was a cat they would be calling it fit to burn.
The fact is none of the guns are the same quality and the commercial units but for $160 on the door the Aircat with its 2 year warranty make a compelling case for itself.

I apologize for the misinterpretation then.

I 100% agree that all brands can have premature failures. I believe the only brand I haven't seen failures from is Harbor Freight's Earthquake. The reason being most likely is that the ones I seen were only purchased by lube techs for tire rotations or by line techs for a backup. I'm certain they would have failed as well being the primary impact for a guy doing lots of suspension work.

Last edited:
Im gonna suggest something different. I have a Husky brand 800 ft pound gun from home depot as my main gun. It has been beat to beat to death the past 6 months , has all the power you really need. It cost 100 bucks , it has a 2 year replacement warranty with it. If it goes south , just go into home depot with the receipt and get another one. This impact has surprised me im not gonna lie, its decently powerful while being not too loud and fits the hand well. Take a look at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back