Changing filter every other oci

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: KingCake

You don't need an oil filter for 20w-50 b/c it's running in bypass mode all the time anyway.

Someone forget to imply sarcasm here?

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Originally Posted By: KingCake

You don't need an oil filter for 20w-50 b/c it's running in bypass mode all the time anyway.

Someone forget to imply sarcasm here?

That's just how he rolls...

Originally Posted By: Stephen M.
Changing oil without changing the oil filter is the same as taking a shower and putting back on your dirty underclothing

No it isn't. That which is captured in the filter stays in the filter. Until it's completely loaded, it continues to do its job, and even improves in cleaning abilities.

Frams I bought off ebay are good for 16,000km, so the Caprice is getting two runs (8-10k kms) out of a filter now.

Nissan has a cartridge, and got changed every OCI (10,000km), but now that I've gone monogamous, and have enough edge 5W30 for the next 30,000km, I'm dropping to every second...Only holds around 2 cups by the look of what it took to refill the other weekend, and "primes" the oil with some already activated additives so to speak.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Changing oil without changing the oil filter is the same as taking a shower and putting back on your dirty underclothing

No it isn't. That which is captured in the filter stays in the filter. Until it's completely loaded, it continues to do its job, and even improves in cleaning abilities.

Yep exactly. Not to mention you probably leaver more dirty oil in the head and bottom of sump than what the filter could hold.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
If your vehicle holds 4 qts of oil and you opt to not change the filter, you probably have half a qt in the filter and half a qt left in the motor. So you are doing 3/4 of an oil change. The remaining qt is dirty oil which gets mixed into and contaminates the new oil you just added. So isn't the point of changing your oil to remove as much dirty oil and contaminates as you possibly can? Then why would you leave a filter with dirty oil on?.,,

If you are imaging your oil was dirty that means prior to your oil change you were already driving miles on dirty oil.

When you take a poop do you get a full colonic every time to completely clean your colon and digestive tract out?

Last edited:
Well my engine holds about 4.5 Litres in the sump and about 500 ml or 0.5 Litres in the filter, i'm going to change the oil a little earlier this time since i went a bit too long on my last one, i guess i'll change the filter this time aswell and then continue changing it every second oci or 2 years, regarding VR1 the bad thing is i have to drivepretty far to buy it and i end up spending the same amount on oil as i do in gas, i can get HX3 from a shop that is 5 minutes away , the other option would be buying like 4 or 5 , 5 litre jugs so i have enough for a few years!

I just noticed Isn't VR1 in a black bottle a racing only oil? , if so i'm not gonna be able to use VR1 Because it's the only one they have on sale and i don't know of any other places that sell it!

Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
I just noticed Isn't VR1 in a black bottle a racing only oil? , if so i'm not gonna be able to use VR1 Because it's the only one they have on sale and i don't know of any other places that sell it!

Our street legal VR1 is in a silver bottle. I've never seen any black bottle stuff.

But Europe & Australia are a long way from eachother, so this may not mean anything in your market.

Ring them up and ask them if it's API SJ or SL rated.

In the case of a traditional oil filter I always change the filter with the oil. I have a hard time wrapping my head around leaving a filter on an engine with in cases like my E-150 it has close to a quart of dirty oil in it. I won't remove it and drain it and reinstall it either. I've heard the debate about better filtering, etc. so I won't go down that path. OTOH after dealing with a cartridge filter where you can simply unscrew the cap, and empty the housing of the dirty oil it might have some benefit in leaving the filter on for two OCIs. I can even inspect the element for tears, etc. while the cap is off. So in my case food for thought.

Demarpaint - +1. I don't grasp the idea of pushing the FCI for a traditional oil filter. It is likely an accident waiting to happen. On the other hand, if the filter is weak, you could change the filter and boost the additives with new makeup oil. My mind would prefer changing both together.

Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver

The last time I bought VR1, it came in a black bottle and was an API SL oil.
IIRC, the black bottle VR1 is the syn version while the silver bottle is the Grp II version.
OT, I bought this oil, in the 10W-30 grade, mainly because it was FAR and I thought it might be fun to try.
VR1, at least in this country, is a racing oil mainly by its extra ZDDP content, making it an API SL oil, and its label. It's as suitable for street use as any other oil.

It would be nice to have a dollar for every time this has been said. A number of manufacturers prescribe changing filter every other oci - they must know something.

Heck - do what you feel comfortable with - just do it regularly (especially your underwear - haha).

Okay, if it meets API SL then it isn't really all that racy and would be fine for a daily driver, even an occasional one like your Capri.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back