Think I put a 429 fuel pump on my 428 engine...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to the parts store and got the fuel pump they had listed for a 1970 ford 428 engine and it looked like this:

Pump that came off the truck, and ones that I see listed for FE engines looked like this:

I put the pump on the truck and it is working fine no leaks or funny noises. Anyone see any problem running the pump with the straight pump arm instead of the more curved one that was on the engine? Other than the angle of the pump arm they looked identical. From what I've been seeing the straight arm pump came on 429/460 engines.

Last edited:
Look up 1970 Ford LTD, Same pump from one manufacturer for the 428 and 429.
The center line of the arms also appears to be the same, going by this and the fact it is working i would have to say the difference is only cosmetic.

Better yet the old ones that were rebuildable with a $3 kit. The 70 Ford 429 Police engine is showing a rebuildble pump.
When i first stated in this business you could get a Delco starter rebuild kit for a GM with new Bendix drive, solenoid, brushes and bearings for $12.95 all Made in the USA.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Got to love these pumps over the ones inside the fuel tank that cost $500+ to change.

Ain't that the truth. I had a few cars with mechanical pumps outlast the in tank electric pumps by a long shot. Changing those old mechanical pumps was a breeze.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Better yet the old ones that were rebuildable with a $3 kit. The 70 Ford 429 Police engine is showing a rebuildble pump.
When i first stated in this business you could get a Delco starter rebuild kit for a GM with new Bendix drive, solenoid, brushes and bearings for $12.95 all Made in the USA.

Engine that is in the truck is actually a 70 428 police interceptor which list yet another fuel pump, but I think when the engine was swapped in they just took the fuel pump off the original 360 and swapped it onto the 428 to work with the fittings that were already in the truck. This pump was $14 at advance after the discount.. Can't complain about that..

I'm just going to go with "Its working so it must be fine" and not worry about it anymore.. Thanks!

yep, sometimes they were cooked but with a growler and ohmmeter you can find that out quick before buying anything. .

I remember those days.

This is what happens when you buy many aftermarket parts. Sometimes they come from a completely different batch or from a completely different factory.

Often I would be given Autozone Duralast or Napa Master Ride suspension parts, and the left side part would not be a mirror image of the right side part. Sometimes one would come from Taiwan and the other from mainland China.

I suppose the same thing can happen to fuel pumps.

It is annoying that EFI engines have an in-tank pump, however, there is a benefit to some people. Many people never check their oil level, and if an engine block mounted block pump failed, it would leak gasoline into the engine block. People could drive for several miles before the oil becomes excessively diluted and then destroys the engine. What is worse, replacing an in-tank pump or an entire engine?

I've never seen the straight arm pump used on a 352/390/428 but as long as there isn't excessive clearance between arm and pump cam(clack, clack, this happens with a small block pump on a FE), or compressed enough to shorten the pump cycle, it isn't going to make a difference...

The center line of the arms also appears to be the same, going by this and the fact it is working i would have to say the difference is only cosmetic.

Different vendor, more than likely. Just checked with my old-time hot rodder uncle: yes, Lima and an FE fuel pumps do swap. (Which makes sense, because Ford would not have to stock two different pumps.)

Originally Posted By: nwjones18

Engine that is in the truck is actually a 70 428 police interceptor which list yet another fuel pump, but I think when the engine was swapped in they just took the fuel pump off the original 360 and swapped it onto the 428 to work with the fittings that were already in the truck. This pump was $14 at advance after the discount.. Can't complain about that..

I'm just going to go with "Its working so it must be fine" and not worry about it anymore.. Thanks!

The PI pump is probably a high-volume piece...if it has a truck 360 pump, I would be careful to watch for fuel starvation at WOT.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle

Different vendor, more than likely. Just checked with my old-time hot rodder uncle: yes, Lima and an FE fuel pumps do swap. (Which makes sense, because Ford would not have to stock two different pumps.)

Can't be the reason, one of Ford's claim to fame is make it different, so it doesn't fit... Small block pumps are different from Cleveland based engines which are different from FE, and up till the aftermarket combined FE with the 429/460 were different as well...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back