What oil for '82 VW Rabbit/Mk1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gfk

Hi all,

I own a '82 VW Rabbit (Mk1 Golf outside North America) with the 1.7L CIS gasoline Engine with about 200 000 Km. The engine runs fine but uses about 2 quarts of oil for 3000 Km.

For the last 15 years, I've been running it with conventional 20W50 with the Bardahl Pro-2 additive. I started using this because I was having problems with not enough compression. I don't know the brand of oil because it's put by the shop, but they're specialized in German cars and about 75% of their work are on Porsches, so I think/hope they use a good quality oil. I run it on 91 octane fuel that doesn't contain ethanol.

I'd like to do my next oil change myself, so in the last few weeks, I've been reading more about motor oil and I'm wondering if I should switch to synthetic. Some people say that old engines are not designed to be run with synthetic but I see that there are specifically designed synthetic oil for high mileage engines like the Valvoline MaxLife or the Mobile 1 High Mileage.

I do about 3000 Km from May to October (temp between 10C and 30C) and it's garaged the rest of the year. I'm going to change the oil every spring (3000 Km). I don't really mind about the price of the oil, I'm really concerned about the engine pumping oil and making sure the engine will last as long as possible.

With that in mind, what kind of oil would you recommend?

Thanks a lot, I never expected that engine oil could be such a fascinating topic!
smile.gif

Guillaume

Originally Posted By: Olas
Unless you want to spend lots on the *best* oils, go with 10w40 maxlife.
Synthetics do not cause leaks!

He's in Canada. 10w-40 isn't common at most of the larger chains.

Gfk, What do you have available in QC in a 10w-40 weight?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JC1
Gfk, What do you have available in QC in a 10w-40 weight?

A quick search on Canadian Tire, Walmart and Amazon.ca only gave me motorcycle oil in 10W-40... and Castrol GTX. In the high mileage category most oils are in the 5W-30 and 10W-30 weights. I'll call auto parts stores and see what they have.

Thanks for the replies, it helps narrow my search quite a bit.

For the seasons in which you drive, get any 15w-40 that's convenient and well priced for you. 10w-40s these days aren't easy to find in Canada. Imperial Oil has little interest in them. Shell has a phobia about selling a PCMO without the Starburst. Castrol is about the only option, and the HDEO 15w-40 will probably be cheaper.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
My mk1 was very happy on Rotella 15W-40.

I was thinking Rotella may be a good choice for him. It's easily available up here.

Thanks for all the replies!

Originally Posted By: Garak
...and the HDEO 15w-40 will probably be cheaper.

You to be sure I understand, HDEO is diesel engine oil?

Also, should I continue using the Bardahl Pro-2 additive?

Thanks again!
smile.gif

And another question: no one suggested using 20W-50, is it because it's too thick and will wear the engine?

Originally Posted By: gfk

Thanks again!
smile.gif

Yes is it (more cleaning agents). Some members use it on gas engines. I would use it and just make sure you keep a close eye on things.

Thanks again!
smile.gif

Rotella T is SM rated meaning it is also suited for gasoline engines.

My brother owns one of these Mk1's with the 1.7L. We've had good service using 20w-50 castrol high mileage or valvoline maxlife. Haven't tried rotella yet, but I imagine it would be a very good choice. I would stay away from full synthetics, especially mobil 1 15w-50. The two times we used that oil, the oil pressure warning lights would randomly go off. Switching to a different oil was the only thing that would fix that issue.

Yes, HDEOs are often called diesel oils, but are generally also rated for gasoline engines, too. Any 15w-40 would do, from Walmart's Tune It to any of the majors. As for the Bardahl additive, I'm generally not a fan of additives. If you're burning a couple quarts over 3,000 km, what would your consumption be like without the additive? Is it helping in that regard? How much is it really helping your compression?

Generally, my problem with additives like these is that they totally mess up the viscometric properties of the oil you've chosen in the first place. As for synthetics, one does have to be cautious, because if you're burning a lot of 20w-50, a synthetic means you just burn more expensive oil. You will also not find Mobil 1 HM in Canada.

If it were me, I'd try the 15w-40 unadulterated. If there are compression and consumption issues, perhaps the engine needs to be opened up. Of course, only you can answer if that's worth your time, effort, or money.

If your engine has compression problems and high oil consumption, no oil can solve the problem. The problem is piston ring wear and possibly cylinder bore wear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back