06 Tacoma junk frame

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toyota will be putting new frame and laundry list of new parts under my 145k truck will be stating it in May or June hopefully. Curious if any one else had this done yet 05-08 Tacoma involved in this.

Their supplier (Dana Corp) supposibly left off any corrosion protection (unbeknownst to Toyota),and its been going on for years.Funny though,Toyotas have always had bad frames.Not many 78/79/80/81s...etc around anymore and the ones you do see have broken frames.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
Their supplier (Dana Corp) supposibly left off any corrosion protection (unbeknownst to Toyota),and its been going on for years.Funny though,Toyotas have always had bad frames.Not many 78/79/80/81s...etc around anymore and the ones you do see have broken frames.
Correct from what I hear it a 12 -15 thousand dollar billed job.

My daughter had an 08 Tacoma and we had nothing but problems with it. VERY poor quality paint. Notchy shifting. Almost impossible to get in reverse at times. She ended up selling it.

Originally Posted By: Joseph_S37
Is the frame rust still an issue on current production models?

What about the cracking leaf springs?

After 08 what I believe is yes leaf springs I get new set also included.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
pics?

None spring thaw going on now not crawling under a wet truck on a gravel driveway. That said it never gets washed or waxed runs and drives like the day I drove it off the dealer lot when new.

Only reason I bought my Tundra was because I crawled under it while it was at the dealer to check for rust. Looked like a new frame! Was shocked, as it was 3 years old, and lived in New England.

I don't think I went a week before I hosed it down with Fluid Film.

I heard there was a frame section that would collect mud, salt, etc.

Depends on where you live. There are quite a few locally still running around. Some have been restored and look very good. I had an 81 4x4 several years ago and wish I'd kept it as a hunting truck. The biggest issue with them here was the bed rusting. See several with wooden flat beds on them.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: klt1986

Ford has also had rust issues with Dana.

The big difference is Ford told their customers to go scratch their backsides with a broken bottle claiming it was "normal" in the salt belt. They pocketed the money they should have been using to fix those vehicles.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Originally Posted By: klt1986

Ford has also had rust issues with Dana.

The big difference is Ford told their customers to go scratch their backsides with a broken bottle claiming it was "normal" in the salt belt. They pocketed the money they should have been using to fix those vehicles.

I was merely pointing out Toyota is not the only company that has had problems with Dana supplied parts. I actually had no idea how Ford handled the situation.

I don't see too many 78/ 79/ 80 and 81 vehicles around. This isnt a Toyota specific issue.

Also, Toyota's junk frames are a result of Dana outsourcing to third world Mexico.

If you have a Toyota affected by this, you get a new frame at their expense.

I think it is a darn nice gesture for Toyota to be doing ANYTHING under warranty for a 10 year old truck with 145k, that the owner never washes or waxes, in the salt belt.

I've had two cars rust to junk well before that, even with proper washing. We had a Dodge Neon and a Chevy Cavalier that both failed inspection due to rot.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
I think it is a darn nice gesture for Toyota to be doing ANYTHING under warranty for a 10 year old truck with 145k, that the owner never washes or waxes, in the salt belt.

I've had two cars rust to junk well before that, even with proper washing. We had a Dodge Neon and a Chevy Cavalier that both failed inspection due to rot.
yea kinda unbelievable and happy to get it done when tore apart will talk to them about things needing done while it's apart.

Buying the guy's that are working on the truck lunch or bringing them doughnuts i think can go along way on how they treated it overall while they have it for a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back