What bicycle(s) did you have as a kid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a English made Raleigh 10 speed circa 1979; it had fenders and upright handle bars. The thing was a tank; carried my 190 lb body and piles of newspapers for years without an issue.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kiwi_ME
stingray_1968%20-%20Copy_zps5sq8fcmq.jpg

I remember wanting that exact bike when I was a kid. I loved that stick shifter! Schwinn seemed to make some cutting edge stuff back then (I still have the mid 70s catalog I grabbed from the bike shop back then). I remember this one Schwinn bike that looked like that one and it had a pin you could remove and the back end would steer side to side. I though it was soooooo cool!!

Brings back memories!

The lineup went:
-Huffy BMX bike - single speed, coaster brake and a hand brake
-Huffy 12 Speed
-GT Outpost Mountain Bike with 18 speeds. Beat this one to death!
-Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo Mountain Bike - favorite of the bunch - and I still ride it. Steel Frame and all - old school all the way!

My first bike was a yellow Schwinn Stingray with a glittery metallic banana seat. I thought it was quite effeminate, but that what was dad found at the Salvation Army, so that's what I got. It was similar to this one, but mine had a front brake.
2_z%20kids%202.JPG

Dad yelled at me a lot when he tried to teach me how to ride and I would fall whenever he hollered. An older friend on my street took me out one day and I was riding in about 5 minutes...dad got REALLY mad when he found out somebody else had taught me.
Did I mention that dad was drinking a bit in those days? He got better once he started working again.
We also had a green Raleigh folding bike with 3 speeds that weighed a ton, but was super fun to ride. My sister and I were constantly breaking the shifter, which would also set dad off...he kept this bike in his trunk when he worked in Chicago and would ride it home if his car broke down. The same friend of mine sold me a 10 speed for $10, but the shifters were broken and it would shift itself into a higher gear when you tried to climb a hill...he claimed it was automatic transmission. That thing went out in the alley to be picked up about two weeks later and I did not get my money back.
In high school, I got a Schwinn World Sport and thought I was the king of the road. Bought another one in college after the first one was stolen, that one was stolen in Dallas and I didn't have a bike for several years after that.

I almost forgot,I had a Schwinn Varsity Sport 10 speed too. It was that sparkly metal flake green color.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back