Castrol Edge 5W20, 5100mi, 65k, '11 Tundra 5.7L

Status
Not open for further replies.
My second UOA on my 2011 Tundra.
Oil tested was Castrol Edge 5W20 with Toyota filter, and a little over 5k miles. I did the standard 5k so I could have a baseline to compare in the future.

The Edge looks to have more Boron, P, & Z compared to the universal averages.

I refilled with Castrol Magnatec 5W30 for ~$16 for a 5qt jug, which I think is an excellent price for a synthetic blend. I hope to do 7.5k OCI with the Magnatec.

I have almost 2k on the Magnatec 5W30 and I haven't noticed a drop in MPG. It has definitely help to quiet down the engine noise some.

9agoSqm.png

Here is the post for my first UOA

Dynamite UOA! With one small exception; the TBN kind of surprises me. It seems like it would be hard pressed to make it to the 7000 mile mark that Blackstone suggested. My father had the previous generation of Tundra with the much smaller V8. With an oversized oil filter I could almost get 8 quarts of oil in during a change. How much does this newer motor hold?

Yeah, the TBN was a little lower than i hoped. However, I've read on here that TBN doesn't decrease linearly with mileage, so I am not super concerned at this point.
Also, maybe bc this was my 1st synthetic OC, the detergents were doing extra cleaning and got used more??

Another thing I think is interesting is the titanium wasn't higher even though it is "EDGE w/ Titanium."

I put 8qts in. The 5.7L has the cartridge style filters so I don't think I can get oversized filters.

I've read the 2012&2913 5.7L hold 9-10qts!

Thanks for the input!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 74Scout
Yeah, the TBN was a little lower than i hoped. However, I've read on here that TBN doesn't decrease linearly with mileage, so I am not super concerned at this point....

100% correct; it's not linear.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Will the thick oil guys chime in and tell us thin oil causes more wear metals?

Maybe....but without any data to compare, it's still a debate. FWIW I'm going to try 5w20, 5w30, and 0w40 in my F150 for 10k each. It'll be awhile, but stay tuned...

Will a thin oil proponent state that clearly the oil is flowing better, and is thus a decent UOA ?

Viscosity dropped by 10%, and flashpoint is down 30+F.

And Blackstone are stating negligible fuel ???

The big chunks were caught by the filter?

I'm jk, but I thought we can't tell how an engine wears from an UOA? Or so I've read.

Originally Posted By: Shannow

Will a thin oil proponent state that clearly the oil is flowing better, and is thus a decent UOA ?

Viscosity dropped by 10%, and flashpoint is down 30+F.

And Blackstone are stating negligible fuel ???

On top of that, the oil ran just 5k. And was just about to start to harm?

Gasbuggy,
I commute 120miles per day which takes about 2.5-3hrs. Half city, half highway.

I commend you for that commute. Are you a calm driver or do like to be aggressive with gas pedal?

Gasbuggy,

74Scout,
Here at BITOG there are those, as you can see on your thread, that can't stand to see the low wear metals that 20 wt oils usually produce in engines spec'd for 20 wt. Welcome to BITOG! Home of the never ending bashing of 20 wt oils! LOL!
18.gif

Last edited:
Gasbuggy,

74Scout,
Here at BITOG there are those, as you can see on your thread, that can't stand to see the low wear metals that 20 wt oils usually produce in engines spec'd for 20 wt. Welcome to BITOG! Home of the never ending bashing of 20 wt oils! LOL!
18.gif

Do you think that was why I asked what his driving style was? I have no dog in that fight. This info should accompany every UOA for perspective. Sorry to disappoint you that his truck was not entered in the last Baja 1000.

Originally Posted By: Gasbuggy
Gasbuggy,

I commend you for that commute. Are you a calm driver or do like to be aggressive with gas pedal?

Only aggressive when I have to dodge the chuggernuts merging into me, and getting around slow drivers in the left lane for the city half of my Houston commute. Once I make it past downtown, I am against traffic so it is typically smooth sailing on cruise control for the next 30 miles

Originally Posted By: Ded Mazai
Is it the black bottle or the golden bottle? And what was the previous oil?

This OUA was the black bottle Castrol Edge 5W20.

The previous OCs were all at the dealer with their conventional (bulk) oil 5w20, except 1 OC around 40k where I got 0W20 to try it out. They say it is all Toyota oil, and the pn on the invoice matches up, but who knows.

I filled up with the Green bottle of Castrol Magnatec 5W30 which is a syn blend at that weight.

Running Edge 5w20 now after 30k miles of using nothing but Mobil 1 EP. Nice report.

What is the Ti figure so low? Does this additive get used up over time? Also, did Castrol switch back to mostly Ca over the mg/ca combo? Their chemistry seems to change a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back