Ant nest in girl's ear

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the most disgusting news story I've heard in a while. Apparently an Indian girl in Gujarat has had ants crawling out of her ear for months. News accounts differ, but at least "hundreds" of ants have been removed from her ear, and more continue to appear. Doctors haven't been able to figure out exactly what's happening.

WARNING: Don't click on this LINK unless you have a strong stomach.

Last edited:
I call bogus.

I saw them take out a couple of dead ants, that's it. Then a loud "Subscribe and Like our story" request.

Originally Posted By: wemay
I call bogus.

I saw them take out a couple of dead ants, that's it. Then a loud "Subscribe and Like our story" request.

Suit yourself. I haven't seen this with my own eyes, but if it's a hoax, it must be a good one, since it's being reported by major news outlets, and in major newspapers.

Originally Posted By: Stelth
WARNING: Don't click on this LINK unless you have a strong stomach.

[off-topic]
you want to test your stomach, try looking at a book with dental damages pictures...
beats walking dead make up all day!
From Looking for Nemo: "human mouth is a disgusting place"
[/off-topic]

Originally Posted By: wemay
I call bogus.

I have to agree...either the girl or someone in her family is stuffing them in there. People do crazy stuff for attention or just because they're crazy. The "doctor" is either a fraud or in on the scheme.

Assuming a CT and MRI has been performed as described in the article, and the rate of ant production is correct, any chamber large enough to host the ants (and produce 10+ grown ants of that size per day) would be quite large and easily visible. There is none (according to the story). That does not add up in the slightest. The ear canal is not some extra-dimensional space where anything can hide. There are only so many ingress and egress points possible in there, and only so much space.

The ants they were removing were already dead. Her ear canal shows only minor signs of irritation, and she apparently feels no pain. The article says they have been biting her, but in the absence of pain or any evidence of irritation within the canal, I can't understand how they could possibly make that claim.

So, logically, unless the structure of her head is fundamentally different from every other human on the planet, the ants are not breeding in there, and are coming from some outside location.

As the ants are already apparently dead when they are pulled out, we have four strong possibilities:

1.The ants enter and die. Constantly. For some reason. Wearing ear plugs at night would fix the issue.

2.She puts them in her ears herself (as a form of Munchausen syndrome).

3.Her parents are putting them in (as a form of Munchausen syndrome by proxy).

4.The doctor is in on it as well (in conjunction with 2 or 3) and not providing the full story. That is, he is lying about the CT/MRI so that the media pick up the story as a medical mystery (this seems VERY likely, as he would be a fool not to have considered the first three options, and his descriptions make little to no sense, as described above).

The fifth option, roughly on the same level of likelihood as "The world is secretly ruled by a cabal of lizard-people" is that she actually has a functioning ant colony in her head.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Stelth
since it's being reported by major news outlets, and in major newspapers.

Which ones?

We all know that the media would never hype something just for ratings, would they?

There's also an urban legend that tells of a colony of ants that take up residence inside a little boy's ear, and this has all the hallmarks of that old urban legend, including taking place in a third world country where it's almost impossible to verify it.

As others have pointed out, there is simply too much to be skeptical about with this story and it's not the first time the media has failed at fact-checking.

one round of permethrin ear drops and she'd be ant free. Commonly sold in the pet aisle of any store for ear mites.

If this is really a hoax, I'd prescribe the parents a healthy beating and the doctor a tar and feather treatment.

It's a hoax, for reasons already stated.

What they are describing is medically impossible.

The very idea that even the most basic elements of ant hierarchy, including a queen got into and are existing, breeding, and operating in a human ear canal is so amazingly stupid that words can't even begin to describe it.

Any first year med student will tell you the same.

Even if she had one live ant crawling around inside her ear she would go insane. I'm leaning towards the hoax side on this one.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Even if she had one live ant crawling around inside her ear she would go insane.

This. Reminds me how we act when a gnat flys in our ear. We smack ourselves up side the head and dam near break our neck ducking away so fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back