2016 Ford Escape Ecoboost Oil Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking for an oil recommendation for my wife's 2016 Ford Escape. It has the 2.0L Ecoboost engine. I changed it once with Amsoil Signature, but after reading here about Amsoil's formulation change, I have my doubts. I don't really want to pay a premium for oil if it isn't what it is sold to be. Would Redline or Schaeffer's be a better choice? I know direct injection turbo engines are fairly hard on motor oil, so I want something that will make this vehicle last. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I'd get some Pennzoil Platinum or Mobil 1, or other reasonably price oil.

Last edited:
Any of the major brand synthetics will do just fine, as long as they meet the Ford spec. They'll save you money too. I'd probably go with something from Pennzoil [PU or PUP] or Mobil 1. They can be bought just about anywhere and someone always has them on sale.

Nothing wrong with Amsoil. You are probably hung up on the PAO grp 4 thing. All of your better oils these days are a blend of base stocks for an overall better formulation. IMO.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Any of the major brand synthetics will do just fine, as long as they meet the Ford spec.

Even Mobil Super 5000 and Pennzoil Conventional meet Ford's spec ...

I have been trying to use low calcium oils in my DIT engine due to LSPI concerns, although the Veloster turbo engine is the only one I have read about as having such issues on the street. I looked in some detail at Amsoil SS 5W30 a while ago and was very impressed, but it actually had very high calcium.
I have been using M1 5W30 as it was shown as low calcium in the PQIA's 2013 test of 5W30s. Castrol Edge was even lower at that time, but I have read on here that it appears to have been reformulated since then.
http://www.pqiamerica.com/March2013PCMO/Marchsyntheticsallfinal.html
I have to admit that my oil looks pretty beat up after 5000 miles, so I am trying M1 5W30 ESP as sort of an experiment next time around. It is very expensive in the US (I paid over $60 for 5 liters at Pep Boys), so I'm not sure if I will stick with it even if I like the results.

I've been tracking KJSmith's UOA's using Castrol Magnatec on his 2013 F150 Ecoboost and they are stellar!

Given those results, I will be using Magnatec on my wife's new Escape Ecoboost 2.0 as I see no reason to pay a premium for oil that likely will not outperform or outprotect Magnatec. On top of it all, I've subscribed on Amazon and am getting it for under $16 for 5 quarts.

I also recently traded in my 2012 F150 Ecoboost for a 2013 F150 Ecoboost (my 2012 ran fine, but I wanted some extra accessories) and once I get through my stock of GC it will likely get Magnatec too.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
I have been trying to use low calcium oils in my DIT engine due to LSPI concerns, although the Veloster turbo engine is the only one I have read about as having such issues on the street. I looked in some detail at Amsoil SS 5W30 a while ago and was very impressed, but it actually had very high calcium.
I have been using M1 5W30 as it was shown as low calcium in the PQIA's 2013 test of 5W30s. Castrol Edge was even lower at that time, but I have read on here that it appears to have been reformulated since then.
http://www.pqiamerica.com/March2013PCMO/Marchsyntheticsallfinal.html
I have to admit that my oil looks pretty beat up after 5000 miles, so I am trying M1 5W30 ESP as sort of an experiment next time around. It is very expensive in the US (I paid over $60 for 5 liters at Pep Boys), so I'm not sure if I will stick with it even if I like the results.

I don't understand everything I know about oil to be sure, so don't brand me an idiot just yet lol. What is the problem with the high calcium numbers? What kind of issues has the Veloster had due to calcium? I think I may switch to Mobil1 in this car, but I am trying to get the best protection I can for the motor and turbo. This is my first gasoline direct injection turbo engine and I really want it to last.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Miller88
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Any of the major brand synthetics will do just fine, as long as they meet the Ford spec.

Even Mobil Super 5000 and Pennzoil Conventional meet Ford's spec ...

I know, but he's talking Amsoil so I figured he's talking synthetic.
wink.gif
There's nothing wrong with Mobil Super 5000 or PYB if he wants a dino oil.

Originally Posted By: wvrailroader

I don't understand everything I know about oil to be sure, so don't brand me an idiot just yet lol. What is the problem with the high calcium numbers? What kind of issues has the Veloster had due to calcium? I think I may switch to Mobil1 in this car, but I am trying to get the best protection I can for the motor and turbo. This is my first gasoline direct injection turbo engine and I really want it to last.

LINK
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3981454/GDI-Turbo

Granted, as stated earlier by Virtus_Probi, we only know of one vehicle where this was the case and that would be the first year Veloster Turbo. All "cured" with an ECU re-tune and subsequent years have not shown to be affected. Just take it as precautionary advice.
cheers3.gif

wemay has done a good job of covering this, but here is a thread on a Veloster driver forum about the problems that were seen.
http://www.veloster.org/forum/105-hyunda...ngines-pop.html
I'm sure I'm being overly cautious, but I'm going to stay that way until I feel that there is NO way that this is an issue in my car.

Last edited:
Someone on here used Magnatec with 100,000 on their ecoboost and was getting great numbers on the UOA.

Any of the name brand synthetics or synthetic blends would be excellent. I would run SynPower or Pennzoil Gold Blend. Pennzoil Platinum & Mobil 1 are also excellent choices.

I am looking for an oil recommendation for my wife's 2016 Ford Escape. It has the 2.0L Ecoboost engine. I changed it once with Amsoil Signature, but after reading here about Amsoil's formulation change, I have my doubts. I don't really want to pay a premium for oil if it isn't what it is sold to be. Would Redline or Schaeffer's be a better choice? I know direct injection turbo engines are fairly hard on motor oil, so I want something that will make this vehicle last. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Formula change? Do you have a link? Amsoil adjusts formulas just like all oil companies (maybe a bit less than most). If if there was a big one, or detrimental change, I need to know immediately. So please post a link. Thanks.

I was referring to what I had read here on the forums about the switch from total ester base stocks.

There are no motor oils that are 100% ester basestock. Some people here think Redline is for example. Not picking on Redline, but just be careful what you read here, as Redline is ester and PAO . Amsoil has never, ever been 100% ester or 100% PAO. 100% Ester won't work and will be so expensive no one will buy it. Most all oil basestocks are blends to accomplish the task required. Focusing on such things to chose a motor accomplishes very little.

Originally Posted By: BikeWhisperer
I've been tracking KJSmith's UOA's using Castrol Magnatec on his 2013 F150 Ecoboost and they are stellar!

Here is one

Magnatec 5W-30, twin turbo Ecoboost, 7100 miles

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3839330/Castrol_Magnatec_5-30,_7100mil

I believe he is referring to the rumors that Amsoil doesn't have as much PAO as a percentage in their base stocks. The percentage is rumored to have dropped from close to 90% to less than 50%. Again, I am not saying this is true. I have no information in which to suggest what is true or not. But the loss of group 4 and 5 full synthetics has been gaining a lot of traction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back