Battery Desulfators- Do they work?

It seems that my Odyssey after spending the winter disconnected but charged is a bit down on the volts. Running with a normal nightime load the alternator can't get the voltage above 13.2. And cranking it falls below 11 volts.

So I will put it on supercharge and see what I can do.

When I connect my old 2/6A charger to it with it on 6A it will drive the voltage to 16V. I can rig up an on/off timer for it somehow.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
It seems that my Odyssey after spending the winter disconnected but charged is a bit down on the volts. Running with a normal nightime load the alternator can't get the voltage above 13.2. And cranking it falls below 11 volts.

So I will put it on supercharge and see what I can do.

When I connect my old 2/6A charger to it with it on 6A it will drive the voltage to 16V. I can rig up an on/off timer for it somehow.

batteries self-discharge. Under that self discharge, the chemistry changes and sulfate crystals can form.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
I realize this thread has ran its course, but I came across a link on the subject recently, so I thought I'd add it here:

Battery Desulfators - Fact or Fiction

Thanks for posting - it's good to see some independent testing of these units.

I bought a Battery Minder this winter to maintain my BMW that doesn't get a lot of use. Before putting it on the car, I used it on two lawnmower batteries. One of the batteries was charged with a standard Sears charger just a week before and only held about 7 volts. I let the Battery Minder do it's thing for about 12 days and now, almost a month later, it's holding charge at about 12.7 volts.

One thing I'm curious about is whether the desulfation process is in any way harmful to the car's electronics, if you leave the battery in the car. Some chargers use high voltage to perform desulfation, even if only for fraction of a second. Others, like BatteryMinder, use frequency pulsing. This is especially of concern on a bike where the SAE pigtail is connected to the battery through can-bus.

I have a BatteryMinder 12248 and I never disconnect the battery.

Used on each of my batteries 10-15 times and never any ill effect that I can determine.

Originally Posted By: Touring5
I let the Battery Minder do it's thing for about 12 days and now,

Yeah, the one thing I did not realize is the amount of time it takes to desulfate. Apparently it can take several weeks to complete.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Touring5
I let the Battery Minder do it's thing for about 12 days and now,

Yeah, the one thing I did not realize is the amount of time it takes to desulfate. Apparently it can take several weeks to complete.

Wouldn't that time period necessary be dependent upon the battery's state/level of sulfation??
21.gif

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Wouldn't that time period necessary be dependent upon the battery's state/level of sulfation??
21.gif

Yes, of course.

The battery on my BMW is 6 years old and I suspect it took a beating due to a lot of short tripping, so it's in bad shape. I'm desulfating it now, but it may be time for a new battery soon anyway.

I know this is a bit of an old thread but I wanted to chime in with my opinion on the subject as I own a Batteryminder 1500 and Batteryminder 12248. While these devices by no means can recover a battery with a bad cell, I have had success in recovering a few batteries with one particular battery that had a resting voltage of only 11.9v. After about 6 months on the Battery Minder, the Battery had a resting voltage of 12.5V which in of itself is an impressive improvement. Now, after a total of 1 year of usage on the Batteryminder, it has a resting voltage of 12.65v which basically means the battery has about 95% of its original capacity. This would seem like it's not too big of a deal but when you consider that this battery is officially 10 years old, then it's something! I believe one of the things that made this Battery last so long was the fact it was mounted in the trunk so it wasn't subjected to excessive heat which would have definitely killed the battery. But the Batteryminder was absolutely instrumental in helping me recover the battery as a resting voltage of 11.9V meant that it really was headed for the scrap heap.

@tortillasoup

Sorry to rain on your parade, but resting open circuit voltage is not a good indicator of battery life/remaining capacity. More realistic testing involves measuring cold cranking amperes - a quick test. Electrically, another method involves measuring how long a battery can supply a predetermined current load without crossing a predetermined output voltage threshold. I'm curious, are you using this battery right now in your car?

CCA is a different test from reserve capacity. A car can have excellent CCA and poor reserve capacity and vice versa. In the case of my car, the CCA remained unchanged from 500CCA but the reserve capacity increased quite substantially. The car can be parked for several months at a time now and the battery voltage stays well above 12.0v, something that could not be said when the battery resting voltage was only 11.9V which at that voltage basically means a discharged battery. I'll do some reserve capacity tests if you care mostly by testing with the radio on and seeing how long it will last until it gets down to 11.9v. I'm thinking a few hours. It's true though that 12.65v could appear fake if it has a high surface charge but that 12.65v is actually AFTER the surface charge has been removed by using the highbeams for 15 minute w/o the engine running.

Yes the battery is currently in use in a car that is rarely used.

Last edited:
They work.

You can buy CteK at most all exotic car dealerships, Porche, Lambo, Mercs are driven intermittently compared to other cars and so these battery groomer/maintainers are designed for constant connection.

I have used smart battery chargers/maintainers for years now and never had a problem (NOCO prefers to operate above 0C where CTEK goes to -20C) Go on any forum and the resounding opinion will be the same. It keeps the battery charged year after year with no issues. I have left mine connected to cars, ATV batteries for months on end, each and every time I go to start the battery behaves as if new. If it is good enough for a $200,000 or $500,000+ car, its good enough for my DD.

Here is a quote from the ImpactBattery person, from the link he/she provided in the beginning of this thread:

Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't radio ways or frequency based waves the same as sound waves? Companies are simply adjusting the amplitude of the distorted wave? Your friend may be in danger of violating or infringing on patents..

Shame on you, dude, this is an illustration of snake-oil salesmanship.

Sound waves and radio frequency waves aren't the same. This is a common misconception due to the fact that sound and radio waves can be projected at identical frequencies like a 22khz sound wave or radio wave. Sound waves require the movement of air, so a 22khz sound is the air vibrating or oscillating at 22khz while a 22khz radio wave is a radio wave that oscillates at well 22khz.

The idea of using an ultrasound machine on a battery does intrigue me though.

Originally Posted By: chad8
up

up...
I'm looking for answer to....
Now considering Battery Minder 1500 or 1510 vs PulseTech Power Pulse for my daily driven cars (two cars).
Just want to buy one and to regulate between cars.

any update Chad8 ?

regards,
singachu

that was why i quoted an 'authority'. I guess, he never heard of speed of sound in Berillium... [where is no air to speak of]

Back