Best Oil Analysis?

Hey guys

Just wondering who is the best to use.

I have a 12 Subaru Outback with a 2.5 that I want to have checked for possible coolant loss along with seeing how my oil is holding up at 7500 mile oil changes.

I will also be doing a sample on a 14 Corolla and both have about 40K.

Thanks

I should have said best for me. I dont really want to spend 80 plus dollars per sample. Mainly looking to see if there is anyone I should stay away from.

I can use
Blackstone
Oriellys
Napa
Oil Analyzers
Amsoil but they seem to be expensive

What makes you think you're losing coolant? A little evaporation is normal and should be replaced with distilled water.

Another for Dyson - you get what you pay for.

I used to use Blackstone very frequently, but they have priced themselves out of the market in my opinion. $38 for a UOA with TBN versus $19 with Amsoil (preferred pricing) and they test for a few attributes that Blackstone does not such as oxidation and nitration or will automatically do a TAN in place of TBN for oil that uses it (such as gear oil). Amsoil uses Oil Analyzers (Horizon/Polaris) and thus far I am very pleased with the decision to switch--especially since the near anecdotal "report" with Blackstone has been replaced with a more professional assessment and Polaris has certifications that I have yet to see posted on Blackstone's website.

Nothing against Blackstone (I have used them for 40+ UOAs), but there are better labs put there with better pricing.

I think Polaris is the best, but the only way to do it is to by a 10 pack of testing kits. Then they are $18 or $19 each.

Polaris gives you TBN or TAN plus oxidation/nitration. Oxidation is important as it tells you the condition of the base stock.

Recently I have used NAPA, its a bargain at $15.99 with TBN but no oxidation/nitration. I think I am the only one who buys the UOA kits at my local NAPA.

I can live without the Blackstone comments.

Last edited:
My preferred it Polaris. I have purchased the 10 packs before. To get a single, you can go through Oil Analyzers Inc (Amsoil), as they use Polaris.
For a fast single test, the NAPA kit is a good bargain.
I wouldn't use Blackstone anymore. I don't know how their prices are nearly double other places with less information. Or their misleading "fuel" percentages that is based on how far the flashpoint for a sample is below a literal random "should be" value.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
I wouldn't use Blackstone anymore. I don't know how their prices are nearly double other places with less information.
This is what tipped the scales for me. It is just not worth double or more than double the other labs costs to do the same tests. Also, (although it may not mean the be-all/end-all), the fact that Blackstone posts none of their accreditations/certifications leads me to believe they do not have any since labs that do advertise them prolifically on their respective web sites.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
What makes you think you're losing coolant? A little evaporation is normal and should be replaced with distilled water.

Another for Dyson - you get what you pay for.

It could be evaporation and I am not losing much but I want to be sure because they did have head gasket problems years ago and the 5Y/60K power train warranty will be up this November so I would like to make sure it isn't a head gasket.

I am mainly looking to see that I am not running to long on an OCI.
On the Outback I have been running 7,500 miles and Toyota specs 10,000 for the Corolla. I mainly use Mobil 1 or PP.

Will Napa be ok for me for this and for checking coolant in the oil on the OB?

I will post the results when I get them, changing on the Rolla this week and a month or 2 on the OB.

Thanks

Originally Posted By: countryboy9799
I am fairly certain that NAPA uses Horizon/Polaris and so, yes, this will give you the information that you need.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
I am fairly certain that NAPA uses Horizon/Polaris and so, yes, this will give you the information that you need.

NAPA uses ALS tribology. The kits I purchased came with multiple mailing address stickers so that I could send samples to any one of several ALS labs. While they don't test oxidation, it is a fine lab for the average Joe.

OP- if you live near a Caterpillar shop, they are another option. Reasonable price and they test oxidation. Most of us don't push our oil enough to make oxidation testing a must, though. With Cat, you can leave the sample with them as opposed to mailing.

Originally Posted By: dustyroads
Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD

NAPA uses ALS tribology. The kits I purchased came with multiple mailing address stickers so that I could send samples to any one of several ALS labs. While they don't test oxidation, it is a fine lab for the average Joe.

OP- if you live near a Caterpillar shop, they are another option. Reasonable price and they test oxidation. Most of us don't push our oil enough to make oxidation testing a must, though. With Cat, you can leave the sample with them as opposed to mailing.

thumbsup2.gif

If your main concern is possible coolant loss, why not just pressure check the system and forego the UOA?

I have one of these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stant-Cooling-System-Radiator-Cap-Pressure-Tester-Kit-12270-/141910471309?hash=item210a85f28d:g:TD4AAOSwQYZWv5B-&item=141910471309&vxp=mtr

IMHO, about the second time you use it you have paid for it. I carry it with me on the road in the winter and more than once I have been a "savior" to a stranger with an overheated car, out of state plates and a look of total panic in their eyes.

I'm doing a first oil test on a new to me VW TDI. Since i don't need TBN (oil is only 4k miles) would Blackstone be okay, or would you rather go with NAPA?
I just want to know general health of my engine. Car is new to me with 200k miles.

I just want to know general health of my engine.
OA isn't going to tell you that in any meaningful way. Especially a single sample with that much use on it.

It may alert you to dilution or a coolant leak if its severe enough but even then a single sample can be adulterated in many ways.

OA isn't going to tell you that in any meaningful way. Especially a single sample with that much use on it.

It may alert you to dilution or a coolant leak if its severe enough but even then a single sample can be adulterated in many ways.
Here is where I stand.
I had some small oil leaks (duh it's a VW) and I used Liqui Moly 2020 oil saver to stop/slow them. I ran this oil for about 3000 miles and going to do sample. Then change the oil with no additives and run it for 5k and then do another sample to see the differences and prolong if possible the OCI.
My question is would would be better of for me to start with so I don't have to do my first sample with one lab and then do another with someone else. Would like to be consistent.
Before finding this topic I did gasoline vehicles with Blackstone. But if someone else is better for diesel rigs I would switch no problems.

Back