11,000 miles on a BMW

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm doing an Alaska ride in June/July. It will be 11k miles.

Thinking of 15w50 M1....for the whole ride.

2005 R1200GS

What you think?

will have a quart to top off.....

Other option would be to hit a BMW dealer along the way for a change.

My neighbor has done Illinois to Alaska and back multiple times on a Honda Goldwing 1800. He changes it right before he leaves, and changes it as soon as he gets back.

He uses the Mobil 1 10w-40 High Mileage (even though his bike isn't high mileage... yet...)

As I recall, Your air cooled boxer has an oci of 6K. I wouldn't recommend going much past that. Even the best oil is going to start to shear and deplete the additives somewhere around 4-5K miles... especially in an air cooled engine. Plus, why also risk putting an almost double service life expectation on any oil filter which at !!K is going to be more pooped out than your sheared down oil? An oil change would be cheap insurance on such a long trip.

If you're only asking about the viscosity of the oil you're going to use, I recommend using whatever weight BMW recommends. A cold boxer full of 15-50 could make for a spent battery and/or starter. You can expect some nights in the 30s in the mountains and that far north even in the summertime.

Originally Posted By: JonfromCB
As I recall, Your air cooled boxer has an oci of 6K. I wouldn't recommend going much past that. Even the best oil is going to start to shear and deplete the additives somewhere around 4-5K miles... especially in an air cooled engine. Plus, why also risk putting an almost double service life expectation on any oil filter which at !!K is going to be more pooped out than your sheared down oil? An oil change would be cheap insurance on such a long trip.

+1

ride it to Alaska and have it changed before you head back home. you should be able to find oil for it in Anchorage, Fairbanks, or Juneau fairly easily I would think.

Keep running your Rotella T5 or T6. That will be something easy to find there. For the price to change it with Rotella I wouldn't risk a double length interval.

Good luck and have a safe trip! remember we have a Photos section in the forum! share the journey with us!

Last edited:
Just as another data-point for you, I took my '04 R1150RT on a 7,500 mile trip a few years ago, using Mobil 1 20w-50 motorcycle oil. I had the used oil analyzed upon my return and it came back with some oxidative thickening evident, but otherwise was OK.

If I were you, I'd find a way to get an oil change around the half-way point. --Rob

If you are going to push it, I would only use Amsoil motorcycle oil and an Amsoil filter. It is designed for double the manufacturers interval, and on all highway miles I believe it would work great in your bike.

I agree with the above, find a "destination" and have the oil changed.

On another note, I've started using FedEx when I travel. Rather than carry stuff with me everywhere, I simply box my stuff up and send it where it needs to go. FedEx 3 day is competitive with UPS.

So you could easily ship the oil and filter plus some other goodies to a destination.

Originally Posted By: donnyj08
ride it to Alaska and have it changed before you head back home. you should be able to find oil for it in Anchorage, Fairbanks, or Juneau fairly easily I would think.

Keep running your Rotella T5 or T6. That will be something easy to find there. For the price to change it with Rotella I wouldn't risk a double length interval.

Good luck and have a safe trip! remember we have a Photos section in the forum! share the journey with us!
15W50 not 15W40 is the recommended oil.

15w50 is not hard to find, Alaska has auto part stores. Buy a turkey roasting pan,Pack a filter, the 1200 filter is small. change in parking lot, take oil in to be recycled.

Tires are another matter, seldom will they do that whole trip.

There are places that change them.

There are even bmw dealers in alaska. Warn them you are coming so they have the tires you want. It will be expensive.
Rod

Originally Posted By: ragtoplvr

Tires are another matter, seldom will they do that whole trip.

+1

Last edited by a moderator:
So what's the story? Were you on your trip when this happened? Any pics or story you'd care to share would be appreciated, as I've wanted to ride up to Alaska for a long time.

Incidentally my Sister's R1200RT sure burned a fair amount of oil. I had her well versed in checking the level, and adding oil as necessary.

Originally Posted By: 02SE
So what's the story? Were you on your trip when this happened? Any pics or story you'd care to share would be appreciated, as I've wanted to ride up to Alaska for a long time.

Incidentally my Sister's R1200RT sure burned a fair amount of oil. I had her well versed in checking the level, and adding oil as necessary.

We left Colorado Springs and did 350-400 miles a day, up toward the northern border. We were actually sitting traffic in Spokane, WA at a stop light and I forcefully downshifted and the the shift lever fell to the bottom. It would shift up....but not down. The bike locked into 6th gear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back