When to change the ATF in my Mazda CX-9?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2012 Mazda CX-9 with "lifetime transmission fluid" and no dipstick or means of checking the fluid. I'd like to keep this vehicle for at least 200k miles, which would be about 12 years.

How often should I change the transmission fluid for my peace of mind and to maximize the life of the transmission? If it helps, the transmission is an Aisin AWF-21 6-speed automatic.

What's your driving style? Are you doing a lot of short trips/stop-and-go, or is it mostly highway/sustained speed driving?

I recommend every 50,000.

Ford doesn't recommend changing transmission fluid until 150,000 & let me tell you, that's way too long. I've seen multiple people who try to go that long & the transmissions start shifting hard & slipping around 100,000 miles. One guy I know made it to 150,000 on original transmission fluid & the dealer flushed the transmission & it started slipping on the new fluid as soon as he left the dealer.

50,000 normal driving. 30,000 towing/mostly city driving.

These "lifetime fluid" things are a JOKE.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Branson304
One guy I know made it to 150,000 on original transmission fluid & the dealer flushed the transmission & it started slipping on the new fluid as soon as he left the dealer.

In that case I would have a done a single drain and fill with new atf. Then do 3 or 4 more drain and fills every 500 to 1000 miles to do some slow, gradual cleaning.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Originally Posted By: Branson304
One guy I know made it to 150,000 on original transmission fluid & the dealer flushed the transmission & it started slipping on the new fluid as soon as he left the dealer.

In that case I would have a done a single drain and fill with new atf. Then do 3 or 4 more drain and fills every 500 to 1000 miles to do some slow, gradual cleaning.

Same here. However, I'd have never gone to 150K on original trans fluid to begin with.
grin.gif
I am startled at the ridiculous "lifetime" fluid claims & super long change intervals that manufacturers are recommending. My theory is they make potential buyers think they won't need to spend as much money on maintenance, which makes the car more appealing to them. Because, you know, paying $150 to get your transmission fluid changed every 50,000 miles is such a horrible financial strain...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back