Manual Transmission?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure, we can all learn to shift. But unless there is a reason, such as the driver likes to shift, or it is needed to get absolute maximum speed out of the buggy, why bother?

Much easier to let the auto tranny do the work, most of us get there in the same amount of time with less effort. I am old enough to remember very well the green sheets and desk top adding machines in accounting offices. Ain't no one still using those relics which are much harder to use. And no one calling the current crop of accountants lazy because they use computers.

Things change boys, get with the program or go back and play with the dinosaurs.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SeaJay
Sure, we can all learn to shift. But unless there is a reason, such as the driver likes to shift, or it is needed to get absolute maximum speed out of the buggy, why bother?

I think it's as you stated: some people just enjoy driving a manual, and like the connection with the machine that it avails. It's not about the effort.

For a vehicle that's used as an appliance, I agree that auto tranny makes sense. But for a fun toy, that can be a different story.

I'd buy a manual in a heartbeat for a weekend fun vehicle and cruising around country roads. As a daily driver? Not when I sit in a half hour of bumper to bumper traffic each day.
frown.gif

I spent most of yesterday morning screaming at my truck as it kept unlocking the TC. And generally being in the wrong gear. The difference between yesterday and most other mornings? I was stuck in traffic. Constant up/down on speed, constant throttle adjustments.

Transmission had no clue what to do.

Only thing I can do is lock out higher gears. I can try to roll into the throttle extremely gently so as to avoid TC unlock, but even then it still loves to unlock in the higher gears. In the lower gears it likes to do the opposite: it immediately downshifts for no reason, causing me to lift so it will upshift then it'll be in the right gear.

The only place for this automatic is a) moving trailers and b) open stretches of highway.

Originally Posted By: SeaJay

Much easier to let the auto tranny do the work, most of us get there in the same amount of time with less effort. I am old enough to remember very well the green sheets and desk top adding machines in accounting offices. Ain't no one still using those relics which are much harder to use. And no one calling the current crop of accountants lazy because they use computers.

Things change boys, get with the program or go back and play with the dinosaurs.

I have my manual mostly for fun, and abit of savings on the purchase cost, maintenance, and fuel. Also being able to drive a manual well let me have chance to go for a rip in a few nice cars and vipers only come with a manual...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back