Motor oil and engine sound

Status
Not open for further replies.
I firmly believe that we can hear a difference at times with our cars running different types of oil. My Nissan Altima 3.5 runs a good amount quieter on Pennzoil Ultra Platinum and Castrol w titanium gold bottle than per se Royal Purple. I'm not knocking RP. It's a fine product. It just caused my car to really have a lot of noise that wasn't there before. I bet that if I had run the HPS version this wouldn't have happened.

As far as Mobil goes... Mobil Super Synthetic ran rather well in my car. The tick in my motor was a bit more noticeable with the MSS. But not to a large degree. It was within acceptable limits.

The Pennzoil Ultra Platinum I have in it now runs so well its hard to even hear the car running at idle. Which for the price of organic eggs... I like
smile.gif

Most of the commonly available oils with Group II, III, and IV base oils are made of highly non-polar molecules. While they may contact surfaces in your engine, they don't really stick. Contrast this to oils made from Group V base oils which have a significantly polarized molecules and do stick to surfaces and build up quite thick films. The sticking action on the surface (like on the underside of a valve cover) increases its mass and reduces its response to acoustic impulses. The chemical that makes (most) group V oils work the way do is called ester.

If you want to try an oil which really makes the mechanical noises in your engine quieter, one of the following choices will help * -

Belray EXP
Fuchs Silkolene Pro & Titan GT1
Maxima Ultra
Miller's Nanodrive
Motul 300V
Redline
* of course they will cost significantly more than overhyped swill you're using now

Originally Posted By: racin4ds
I'm a firm believer in this theory IF you have good ears and pay attention to your vehicles. I've proven it many times in my fords and Hondas. When I run M1 products the engines in MY vehicles make so much more audible noise that my wife hears them and she is oblivious to what oil was used and any other maintenance I have done.

I'm not knocking the quality of Mobil 1 products whatsoever, I know they are good oils and have been proven time and time again over the years BUT they are KNOWN to cause much more noticeable noise in engines of many types. Therefore, I will not use their products again simply based on that fact.

Excellent post..... and I concur fully.

Right now QSUD 0w20... is my 'go to' oil, after using M-1 0w20 AFE for several years. I'm not doubting that M-1 oils are very good, but for my vehicle, QSUD sounds quieter and runs a bit smoother.

I would challenge tig.... who is brand loyal to M-1....and because he has similar Fords as mine.... to on his next OCI to try QSUD and see it there might be a noise difference in using another oil.

Oregoonian: I may take u up on that offer, as I have some Durablend 5w30 in my 11' Focus and it's not liking it. I'll try and see if my Wal mart has it in 0w20 and run it with a FU-3614 filter.

Not to hijack anything; you just got me thinking

Thats good!....can't wait to hear your thoughts, and see if your Focus runs quieter as well..

I'm hoping tig will take the 'challange' also.

Originally Posted By: Oregoonian
Thats good!....can't wait to hear your thoughts, and see if your Focus runs quieter as well..

I appreciate the the challenge, however I'll have to pass. My engines are quite, clean, smooth, and show no signs of engine wear, so what do have have to gain?

Originally Posted By: racin4ds
I'm a firm believer in this theory IF you have good ears and pay attention to your vehicles. I've proven it many times in my fords and Hondas. When I run M1 products the engines in MY vehicles make so much more audible noise that my wife hears them and she is oblivious to what oil was used and any other maintenance I have done.

I'm not knocking the quality of Mobil 1 products whatsoever, I know they are good oils and have been proven time and time again over the years BUT they are KNOWN to cause much more noticeable noise in engines of many types. Therefore, I will not use their products again simply based on that fact.

I think it comes down to the individual engines. For some reason, certain oils help the engine run quieter than others.

In our case, Mobil 1 has helped my brother's 1997 Civic run quieter than before. I know Mobil 1 is noisy for some people, but, it is quieter for my brother's car and the difference was clear.

He was using Pennzoil Ultra and Platinum before Mobil 1, and the valve noise at idle was such that I wondered if he needed a valve check and adjustment. The tapping of the valves was very distinct. Now, using Mobil 1, that noise is noticeably lessened.

Same thing happened with our Kubota 2230 lawn mower tractor. I was using Rotella T6, then switched over to Mobil 1 TDT 5W-40. The engine noticeably started running smoother and quieter. Also cooler. Was surprised at the cooler part. We let the tractor run to let it warm up before using it. I switched the tractor to the Mobil 1, and didn't tell my brother. Next time he used it, he asked if I done something to the tractor, because he said, it just wasn't warming up.

Last edited:
Where I find Mobil 1 shines is when the engine is hot. Every engine I've used it in is smooth as silk when it's good and hot. Does this mean it keeps its viscosity instead of overthinning when it gets hot? The 2nd and last uoa I've done on my car was with M1 10W40 HM. The oil didn't sheer whatsoever,whereas the 20W50 synth I'd used in the 1st uoa sheared down to a 10W40 according to Blackstone. Both oils run the same mileage under the same conditions.

Originally Posted By: tig1

I appreciate the the challenge, however I'll have to pass. My engines are quite, clean, smooth, and show no signs of engine wear, so what do have have to gain?

The possibility that your engine could be QUIETER.

With all respect tig.....just possibily, like many of us older BITOG'ers, our hearing has diminished over the years and what you think is quiet, is not really quiet. It would a good test, and using QSUD 0w20 IMO, is not going to harm your engine in any way. I DARE YOU TO GO FOR IT....AND LET US KNOW THE RESULTS.

The possibility that your engine could be QUIETER.

With all respect tig.....just possibily, like many of us older BITOG'ers, our hearing has diminished over the years and what you think is quiet, is not really quiet. It would a good test, and using QSUD 0w20 IMO, is not going to harm your engine in any way. I DARE YOU TO GO FOR IT....AND LET US KNOW THE RESULTS.

One thing I don't do is criticize other products. I'm about to make an exception. In the 60's I used QS in a 64 Valiant at 2K OCI's. At about 50K I had to adjust the solid lifters. When I pulled the VC off I was amazed at the sludge. So I scooped the sludge out with a spoon, and cleaned the rest of the mess up, then changed to Valvoline. Never again did I have sludge, and of course after changing to M1 in 1978 sludge was a thing of the past. Bad hearing, senile, stupid, or what ever else I might be, I ain't puttin QS in my engines. I say "if it ain't broke don't fix it". With all this said, I do appreciate your concern. Also I realize QS of today is far advanced to the QS of yesteryear, and I'm quite sure QS will provide fine lubrication for your engines.
11.gif

Last edited:
Good reply tig.....I withdraw my challenge. Have a great day.

You to. Maybe I do need a hearing test. LOL.

Good reply tig.....I withdraw my challenge. Have a great day.

You to. Maybe I do need a hearing test. LOL.

Generally, our hearing goes so gradually, we don't realize that its happening.

I usually get a test every two to three years. So far, so good.

One thing I would like to point out is that some vehicles are noisy no matter what brand or grade used; some are quiet no matter what; some engines, though, may differ in sound depending on that.

I have used a variety of oils and brands in my truck, and basically all I can say is that it is noisy on startup for about a 15 to 30 seconds in moderate temps, and noisy for around a minute or more in the winter. Then, as soon as the engine warms up enough, the noises go away and it runs smoothly. That has never changed, no matter what brand or grade of oil I use.

Now, my mother's 96 Explorer 4.0L is a very different story. Her engine is noisy even when warmed up. I have been able to lessen the noise greatly by using Liqui Moly MOS2.

~ Triton

Like a new set of tires is always an improvement over old shot tires...

A fresh oil change improves the way a engine sounds til you shear it to smithereens again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back