Hyd. Press oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gentlemen,

I'm hoping you can help. I have an old hydaulic press with leather seals. I have acquired a complete reseal kit for it and need to know which flids are compatible in these systems. If I recall - it is 60 ton. Thanks in advance for your help and input.

Thanks for the reply. Am I safe to use any iOS 32 oil? Does having leather seals pose a unique situation? I've never used a system that had leather in it.

When i started working on forklifts they had leather seals for the hydraulic cyls and used regular hydraulic oil.

Do you have any more information about the manufacture or model? I am not 100% sure about the viscosity i recommended or seal compatibility but i did some google searching and am thinking that's what it is. Without more information though its a shot in the dark.

The press is currently a considerable distance from me so getting info off it isn't doable at this time. I was hoping to get lucky in that there would be a generic answer. It goes without saying that it is a very old press. Thanks for the replies.

Most of those older hydraulic systems used a mineral hydraulic oil in ISO 68 or 100.

Walmart's hydraulic oil from Warren or Coastal should suffice.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Most of those older hydraulic systems used a mineral hydraulic oil in ISO 68 or 100.

Walmart's hydraulic oil from Warren or Coastal should suffice.

Na. I just happened to have worked with a local company recently that had a bunch of old press machines for metal stamping.

It is amazing how long the leather seals DO last.

I have recommended to them they replace the seals with modern eleastomer seals (assuming they can find modern seals of the proper dimensions) in both the cylinders AND the controllers (spools) and replace the fluid with a mineral/synthetic Blend.

What the company is doing now is buying shoe leathers, stamping them out, and stacking them to get the right sealing height.

An interesting situation in the least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back