Will a UOA save my behind? HR16DE Nissan engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have just learned that these engines are DEFECTIVE.

Quote:
engines are rolling out of the factory with improper clearance between rod bearing and crankshaft, that's what is causing the knocking noise (rod knock).
because parts (crank, bearings) are sadly very bad quality, some engines knock louder than others, but there are a lot of knocking noises engines out there and 95% of the owners are not aware of this because for 99% of people is not an easy noise to detect.

Official nissan explanation to this problem (in spanish, paper came out in aguas calientes, mexico), it seays is a rod knock and repair procedure (replace pistons, rings, barings, rods, etc).

Right now I don't hear a knock when I did the test, but WILL do a UOA at next oil change, what metals should I be seeing in a UOA, hopefully IF I got this problem, I can detect it with a UOA before engine damage?

Also what oil should I be running for this problem? Right now I am running M1 5w-20 and a NAPA Gold filter. I usually only run syn in winter, any advice?

A UOA 'might' alert you to a problem, but once you have the problem you'll have to get the engine fixed. The damage will be done.

We had a well respected member here with perfect UOA's that spun a bearing and trashed an engine. Take that for what its worth.

If it was my car I'd push Nissan for a fix before it grenades.

lol!! We had this issue with our '12 Versa (engine replacement at 7000 miles) and then traded it off for a '13 Sentra and started hearing the same noise (different engine) so got rid of it quick! No more Nissan Mexican junk for me! Lesson learned! Both cars were powerless pieces of junk. Within 10k miles had rattles and squeaks. Quality at Nissan has tanked if you ask me...

performing regular UOA's cant hurt as it might help track wear patterns and provide supporting documentation; and it might also NOT indicate a problem until its too late. I'm not dismissing the fact that Nissan has had engine problems; especially with early 1.6's in Versa's and the 3.0 that lacked a hole in the rod to oil the piston - but don't get too excited about internet information indicating that every car is junk. Certainly many people with the 1.6 have driven 100k+ with no engine or CVT problems, and certainly many HAVE had problems. I believe that you do have a 5 year 60k powertrain warranty - so hopefully any problems will surface during that period.

I also have two newer Nissans - and I'm not going to try to state that they are high quality - my Sentra trunk rusted at 6 months, and have you seen the panel gaps between the hood and the fenders!!! I was very careful to select a Rogue that had a powertrain from Japan instead of from Mexico - maybe that will help me, maybe it wont.

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL

Quote:
engines are rolling out of the factory with improper clearance between rod bearing and crankshaft, that's what is causing the knocking noise (rod knock).
because parts (crank, bearings) are sadly very bad quality, some engines knock louder than others, but there are a lot of knocking noises engines out there and 95% of the owners are not aware of this because for 99% of people is not an easy noise to detect.

Official nissan explanation to this problem (in spanish, paper came out in aguas calientes, mexico), it seays is a rod knock and repair procedure (replace pistons, rings, barings, rods, etc).

Right now I don't hear a knock when I did the test, but WILL do a UOA at next oil change, what metals should I be seeing in a UOA, hopefully IF I got this problem, I can detect it with a UOA before engine damage?

Also what oil should I be running for this problem? Right now I am running M1 5w-20 and a NAPA Gold filter. I usually only run syn in winter, any advice?

interesting, please link to the article.

I had a 2014 Versa with the 1.6DE and it too was defective, the dealer wouldn't do a fix, they said it was "break in noise". I soon traded it THERE for the rogue I have now. Lost $1500 bucks in 2 months. It started clattering on the first cold days in november - sounded like a diesel. Now the rogue is making racket too. It was doing well with the high flow Honda s2000 filter as I was blaming the engine noise on poor flow through the hamster sized China built oil filter. That's why I went on a search for 100% compatible, over sized filters. The Honda unit is a good filter. You can also use the titan filter for an increased comfort level it has ~ 50% more media area that "might" help in certain circumstances.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL

Quote:

interesting, please link to the article.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/h...49f3a866fc87247

http://micra-forum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1383&d=1438185671

http://micra-forum.com/showthread.php/50...M-HR16DE-solved

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
I had a 2014 Versa with the 1.6DE and it too was defective, the dealer wouldn't do a fix, they said it was "break in noise". I soon traded it THERE for the rogue I have now. Lost $1500 bucks in 2 months. It started clattering on the first cold days in november - sounded like a diesel. Now the rogue is making racket too. It was doing well with the high flow Honda s2000 filter as I was blaming the engine noise on poor flow through the hamster sized China built oil filter. That's why I went on a search for 100% compatible, over sized filters. The Honda unit is a good filter. You can also use the titan filter for an increased comfort level it has ~ 50% more media area that "might" help in certain circumstances.
There's a certain definition of insanity......

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Bought another Nissan?

The rogue select is one of the last Japan made "affordable" new vehicle you can buy other than Subaru Forester. Most Toyota RAV4 forsale up here are CANADA built now.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Well, when yopu have RECURRING oiling issue and the most abvious change on the vehiocle is a filter the size of a small fuel filter and the noise worsens on very cold weather it was the ONLY conclusion I could draw other than sadly admitting the engines are "all" defective. Nissan dumped china sourceing filters for a reason ( maybe cost, likey). So the OCD insanity is where?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back