What's with Continental tires?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Continental tires usually last for about 50% of their rated life. They are good in handling, traction, etc. I'd only get them if you are a low mileage driver and would normally replace based on age rather than mileage.

If you are a high mileage driver look at Pirelli or Michelin.

Based on my experience with the last set of Conti's I had in the original DWS, they lasted just over half the expected mileage. I replaced them at maybe 27k-29k miles due to premature wear on middle treads (appeared to be overinflated). The Passat they were on called for 36PSI front and 44PSI rear (225/45/17); I split the difference and inflated all to 40PSI (I know most of you will cringe, but the handling was much improved over placard recommendations). They handled well at this PSI, and lost much of the overly soft sidewall that plagues Conti tires, at least to more handling minded drivers.

Having said that, I am interested in the new version of the DWS, the DWS 06. On paper it looks great in snow (considering it's an All Season), and very good wet/dry handling and breaking. With almost 40k miles on the GLI's OEM Dunlop Sport as01 (or whatever they're called), I'm very near replacement time. Considering this and the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ (should be released in March). The only thing for me regarding Conti is another set of tires that wear like overinflated; my car recommends 39PSI cold (225/40/18).

We have the DWS06 now on the BMW and Mazda6 - having had the old gen DWS on the BMW i can vouch that the 06 is a CLEAR improvement: SW much stiffer and less/no flat-spotting like old DWS when sitting in cold weather for a long time, and cornering DEF better and crisper; I drove wife's FWD Mazda 6 (19" tires) with DWS06 several times on icy (NC gets ice storms and snow on top) on unplowed/not-cleared roads, most of them me being the first driver to drive on some roads on a certain day. The DWS06 did a fantastic job, and I felt very safe and confident. I could drive very well on the ice covered by a thin layer of snow almost 18-20 miles, and never lost control.

In MY experience, they did VERY well.

i had a set of trucontacts on my implala and they were beast in the snow and rain. my malibu came with factory procontacts and they seem ok with 6k on the car. next set of tires will be continental tires for sure.

I really wanted to buy a set of Continental DW's for my Camaro in 2015. I read hundreds of reviews on them and they rated high by the tests on TireRack. Unfortunately, I got a far better deal in price on some BFG Comp 2's. Maybe next time around I'll get a chance to try out some Conti's.

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer

For the replacement market, that fuel economy emphasis isn't there. In that arena, wear, wear and wear are the 3 most important properties.

I'm getting ready to replace the tires on my secondary "fun" car. The tires are at least 20 year old(manufacture code 106, meaning they are from before the year 2000) and probably have 60-70% tread remaining on them. The look fantastic, but I DON'T trust a tire that old.

Unfortunately, the car takes a skinny, tall sidewall 14" tire that's not too common, but is shared with a lot of economy cars. Performance tires in the size are almost non-existent, although some are better than others(I've been listening to a lot of advice from other owners of the same make/model). When I call tire shops to get a quote, I say "I don't care about the wear rating but do care about performance" and invariably will say "I have a (make)(model) rated at xx,0000 miles."

Originally Posted By: bunnspecial
I'm getting ready to replace the tires on my secondary "fun" car. The tires are at least 20 year old(manufacture code 106, meaning they are from before the year 2000) and probably have 60-70% tread remaining on them. They look fantastic, but I DON'T trust a tire that old.

Unfortunately, the car takes a skinny, tall sidewall 14" tire that's not too common, but is shared with a lot of economy cars. Performance tires in the size are almost non-existent, although some are better than others(I've been listening to a lot of advice from other owners of the same make/model). When I call tire shops to get a quote, I say "I don't care about the wear rating but do care about performance" and invariably will say "I have a (make)(model) rated at xx,0000 miles."

You've got a real problem. Finding high aspect ratio tires can be difficult. I suggest you spend some time on Tire Rack's web site.

BTW, what tire size are we talking about? Year/make/model of car would help, too!

I want to like continentals. We had one vehicle that came with them new and they were excellent. They used to also be my go-to brand back when I was a cycling nut.

I did a lot of research and spoke with a sales manager at a tire store carrying multiple brands. tirerack reviews said the same thing the sales manager did--- generally speaking, softer rubber, high-grip, great feel, high fun-factor, shorter life, with a propensity to blow out sidewalls. Our conti's lost a sidewall when my ex pulled off the side of a highway, in controlled fashion.

For a fun car I'd be interested. But for my wife's car, or something that sees travel and more mileage, not for me.

^^^ this post is very general. there may be a couple of models that are different. But from when I did my research, these were all generally stated among several models of their tires ^^^

Very happy with the True Contacts on my Focus. Good grip, good cornering, quiet, and comfortable. Excellent braking, handling in wet weather. This car is only driven 4,000 miles annually so these tires should last awhile, although you guys have me thinking about the sidewalls now.

I wouldn't really worry about the sidewalls. I think some (not all) of that issue has been people not inflating tires enough. I will say on the DWS I had before the car did seem to roll a little (basically it wasn't point and shoot handling), but the ride was great. It all depends on what type of driver you are. Some people love a soft ride, some people care more about handling (myself) even if it means shorter tread life.

For a couple years I've seen people have sidewall issues with the OEM tires on GLIs and GTIs (Dunlop Sport AS 01 - I think that's the name), but with my GLI I've had no sidewall bubbles, though I don't recall hitting any bad potholes either. A lot depends on luck I guess, but I can't speak to sidewall issues. Just like I didn't notice the same sidewall issues with Conti that others reported, at least back then.

About 6 months ago I put a set of trucontacts on my odyssey and they have been the best tire yet. I was always a Michelin Man but this set of Conti won me over. Nicer ride than the Michelin defender and better grip in wet and snow than the Michelin MXv4. Oh and they were cheaper and had a $70 MIR at the time. Here is how I would rate them

Driving manners
1. Mxv4
2. Conti
3. Defender

Dry grip
1. Conti
2. Mxv4
3. Defender

Noise
1. Mxv4
2. Conti
3. Defender

Comfort
1. Conti
2. Mxv4
3. Defender

Wet
1. Conti
2. Mxv4
3. Defender

Snow
1. Conti
2. Mxv4
3. Defender

Last edited:
I just ordered 2 sets of Continental TrueContacts for our 2 Outbacks in 225/60/16H. After rebates from the current DTD promotion, it was $550 total for the 2 sets. That's less than I paid for the Michelin Primacy MXV4 that is getting replaced on one car. Granted the MXV4 were very good tires, but with 70,000 miles on them and still having 4/32 of tread they are not enough for my wife to feel comfortable in winter conditions anymore.

For this price, they would have to wear out in under 40,000 for me to be annoyed and their testing on Tire Rack looks good.

Originally Posted By: Jake777
About 6 months ago I put a set of trucontacts on my odyssey and they have been the best tire yet. I was always a Michelin Man but this set of Conti won me over.

Same with me too. I was a Michelin guy but this time when I wanted to replace tires for my Odyssey I was looking at TrueContacts or Cooper CS5 tires. Got a good deal in CS5 Ultra Touring from DTD and I'm very happy with the new tires. Paid $599 including replacement certificates + life-time rotation and balancing.

I have continental purecontacts with ecotech technology on my 2007 A6 quatttro. I just measured the tread it is 7/32 after 50k miles. They are quiet and have great traction. I have gone through 12+ inches of snow with zero issues. These are great tires.

Originally Posted By: Hollow
I just ordered 2 sets of Continental TrueContacts for our 2 Outbacks in 225/60/16H. After rebates from the current DTD promotion, it was $550 total for the 2 sets. That's less than I paid for the Michelin Primacy MXV4 that is getting replaced on one car. Granted the MXV4 were very good tires, but with 70,000 miles on them and still having 4/32 of tread they are not enough for my wife to feel comfortable in winter conditions anymore.

For this price, they would have to wear out in under 40,000 for me to be annoyed and their testing on Tire Rack looks good.

Looking to get a set for my sons Subie..but cannot come close to your price..How did you get such a deal? Thanks

I had Conti DWS on my TSX, and they were awesome grip even in snow. I now have PureContact, and gave up a little performance in lieu of longer treadwear. I rotate/balance every 5k and on the DWS I pretty much got 50k out of them. I have 20k so far on my current set, and they are a great grand touring tire.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tenderloin
Originally Posted By: Hollow

Looking to get a set for my sons Subie..but cannot come close to your price..How did you get such a deal? Thanks

It was $864 for the 2 sets from DTD. 2 $100 rebates for the TrueContacts for their President's day sale and 2 $60 rebates for using my DTD credit care, so $320 total rebates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back