Overtaxed DSL

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not referring to state/local/federal taxes.

But rather what would I notice if my combined usage from PS4 games, streaming to TV, IPads and my work usage (mainly Citrix) were more than the paltry 4Mb down and 1Mb up I get.

I see my PING run fine to Google.com for hours at a time, then other times I will see 10 or 20 timeouts in a row, and sometimes some "unreachable" errors on a PING.

I am thinking its still a DSl circuit problem that pops up once and awhile.

Does DSL still run over the same lines used for voice analog phone or do they run separate lines now?

Are these wired or wireless connections from the DSL modem/router? If wireless how is the signal strength? Sometimes this can cause problems.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Does DSL still run over the same lines used for voice analog phone or do they run separate lines now?

The DSL runs over the same copper were that were used for voice a few years ago. But I now have naked DSL, so no voice on the wires.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Are these wired or wireless connections from the DSL modem/router? If wireless how is the signal strength? Sometimes this can cause problems.

Its wireless but only one room away, strong signal.

When I run a speed test I get close to the 4 Mb down and 1 Mb up that I pay for from Fairpoint.

Have you tried running an ethernet cord and see if its different?

How old is your in home router? Getting fairpoint to correct this is like pushing a rock uphill.

Sounds like a bad connection somewhere - if it's weather dependent then it's an ISP issue; if not, then it could be anywhere along the chain.

Have you tried pinging the ISP's gateway when the signal is bad? You can run ping in parallel in two cmd windows to ping google and your gateway at the same time. If you lose packets on google but the gateway is ok, then the problem is with the ISP. If you lose both, then the problem is on your side of the gateway - it could still be the ISP, but you might look at your own wiring as well.

As a case in point, I recently redid my home network (after ten years) to get ready for fiber-to-the-home. In the process, I had to replace the cable that fed the wireless router from the modem because it was limiting the connection speed and dropping packets. It worked fine when the router and the modem were talking to each other at 100 megabits, but when the brand new modem tried to connect to the brand new router at 1 gigabit, the cable couldn't handle the bandwidth. A cable that was electrically sound and worked fine with the old equipment caused serious problems with the new equipment. Note that I'm talking about the connection speed over the in-home wiring (that's negotiated between the devices) and not my internet speed from my ISP.

Last edited:
Agree that when you are testing connection issues with ping that you are not on wireless. Once you are wired, instead of ping, use tracert. That will you the path it takes and how long.

Another thing that I was surprised about is how over time with DSL homes that people seem to not put the filters on phones. The other issue also is those filters do go bad if it encounters surges.

One thing I got used to doing in my family's DSL homes is to put the filter right the POT. That way you filter all your phones right at the splitter and leave the line going to your DSL alone. Also the more filters you use, the messier the signal can be. Best of luck.

Originally Posted By: madRiver
Have you tried running an ethernet cord and see if its different?

How old is your in home router? Getting fairpoint to correct this is like pushing a rock uphill.

The DSL modem is a week or two old. They send me a new one every few months to try and fix my DSL problem but it never does.

The wireless router is a all most brand new one with 3 antennas sticking up.

Originally Posted By: razel
Agree that when you are testing connection issues with ping that you are not on wireless. Once you are wired, instead of ping, use tracert. That will you the path it takes and how long.

Another thing that I was surprised about is how over time with DSL homes that people seem to not put the filters on phones. The other issue also is those filters do go bad if it encounters surges.

One thing I got used to doing in my family's DSL homes is to put the filter right the POT. That way you filter all your phones right at the splitter and leave the line going to your DSL alone. Also the more filters you use, the messier the signal can be. Best of luck.

My home phone wiring is mostly disconnected. No filters, only connects the DSL modem to the POT.

Those speeds definitely can't handle gaming and multimedia streaming. Time to upgrade to cable or Fios

DSL can be very slow or very fast depends on your wire distance from the POTS side.

Those that goes copper wires from your home to the lawn fridge only (then fiber afterward) are very fast.

Those that goes all the way to the office with 12000 feet of twist pair coppers probably max out at 1.5Mbps.

Originally Posted By: Donald

I see my PING run fine to Google.com for hours at a time, then other times I will see 10 or 20 timeouts in a row, and sometimes some "unreachable" errors on a PING.

I am thinking its still a DSl circuit problem that pops up once and awhile.

You could set up the logging on the modem/router to see if you are getting disconnects, or if it is DNS causing the delay.

In general, also check you have no flat (untwisted) wiring anywhere in the house wiring and no unfiltered phones or other POTS items on the line.

Originally Posted By: mclasser
Those speeds definitely can't handle gaming and multimedia streaming. Time to upgrade to cable or Fios

Do you think I would be using Fairpoint DSL if I could get something better? My telephone poles have power and copper phone wires.

The daughters want to play the PS4 games.

Last edited:
My wireless router has an option to limit the bandwidth it uses on the WAN. I set that to 4 and 1 Mb. Maybe it will try and not overdrive the DSL modem if thats an issue.

I was also looking from the view of the wireless router the bandwidth being used by each IP address and it was no where close to 4Mb. Granted a short term observation.

I don't believe you can "overdrive" a modem. That feature option may be causing your bottlenecks as it may not be well implemented.

Originally Posted By: Donald
My wireless router has an option to limit the bandwidth it uses on the WAN. I set that to 4 and 1 Mb. Maybe it will try and not overdrive the DSL modem if thats an issue.

I was also looking from the view of the wireless router the bandwidth being used by each IP address and it was no where close to 4Mb. Granted a short term observation.

You definitely aren't over-driving the modem, it has the capability to synch at speeds much higher than you are obtaining. What you are likely doing is saturating the connection or having drops from a poor SNR. Do you know what your RCO is by chance? A clean line, even if it is long, can have a very high RCO and not disconnect but a dirty line will cause drops if the RCO is too high.

I had a 15/1 DSL connection. No degree of QoS I could implement with a home router could handle the sheer saturation I experienced with 5 iPhones backing up to icloud at various times of the day.

streaming would saturate the upload (tcp/ip overhead really is a thing)

I had to dump DSL and go with cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back